2.0 TFSI cat back system resonated vs non resonated

lDanl

Hi all

im thinking of spending a bit of money on my octavia vrs estate (already has a remap) and right now I'm considering a cat back system 

what do you prefer? A resonated system or a non resonated system? 

As long as a non resonated system does not give the horrible diesel sort of sound on tick over I'd be happy, is this the main point of a resonated system?

Also would you buy a kit from eBay? E.g. Miltek and fit yourself 

or would you take it to a garage to have one made up?

All opinions appreciated 

cheers 

Edited by lDanl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

non res sounds better outside but the drone inside the car is terrible in my experience..I had a miltek

fitted to a vRS Octy but had to have the box put back as the drone in the car esp when

when  motorway driving was terrible!

I've just had the pleasure of having both non-res and resonated on my DSG estate.

Non-res had a nice burble on start up and gentle cruising, DSG burps very noticeable, and hooning was a pleasure as you had all the noises. What annoyed me was the drone on overtaking when not in hoon-mode, my daughter called it 'the overtaking trumpet'! This changed the character of the car too much for me so I bought a resonated system and swapped the middle section.

Now I still have burps and burbles (though not as loud), and when warmed up under power there's a nice bass undertone to engine. Much like standard but with a little extra oomph.

I do think being a DSG affected the noise levels as in auto the box would change to the 'drone point', making the extra noise. A manual would ride through this but still be loud. 

This is mine with standard and non-res on start up.

Edited by Baileydog
  • Like 1