Sunroof rear drain holes - where are they?!

Hi All,

I have a leak running down the inside of drivers 'A' pillar. Although, it will occasionally also leak down the inside passenger 'A' pillar as well if I park half on/half off the curb. I've traced the leak to the sunroof & have checked both FRONT drain holes. There was a bit of gunk, however, having cleared these out completely I still have water trickling down the outside of the sunroof drain pipe! (I have poured water directly down the drain holes to clarify)

Where are the REAR sunroof drain holes?? And where does the water exit the car?? I've heard they might be behind the rear mud flaps?? Someone suggested the rear sunroof drain holes may be blocked causing the front to be overwhelmed - resulting in a leak.

I've spoken to my local stealership & would like £321!!!!! To remove the headlining & investigate. However, I would really like to clean out the rear drain holes before I even consider removing the headlining myself.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Cheers nige8021! What's your understanding of 'behind the shock absorber cover'?

Does the shock/inner wheel arch plastic/mud flap need removing?

Also, I can't quite make out exactly where I would pour water in from the top, in order to check its clear. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dan

If you peel back the inner boot quarter panel carpet lining, difficult because one side you have the storage pocket net and the other side, the cd loader,  you'll see the tubes.  See here for the offside.  It's wrapped in foam to stop it rattling, but lower down where it goes through the floor, you can see the blue tube.

DSC_0289_zpsqjic3oa5.jpg

You won't therefore see them behind the wheel arch liners.  Easiest way to get to them involves removing the rear bumper, otherwise,  you should be able to find them from underneath the rear of the car. 

I've seen on this forum of reports of the plastic moulding where the tubes fit on to around the sunroof can crack and cause leaking ahead of the tubes.

That doesn't show you where the parts 13 and 15 are on the car. I think I have a hard copy diagram at home, if I can remember to look for it tonight.

As to where to add water to check that the rear drains are clear, I guess you pour it carefully into the sunroof tray with the glass slid back?

Cheers guys all really useful stuff. Lots of rain last night & with it now leaking on both sides its becoming much more serious. After a bit of detective work I managed to find the rear drain holes & they appeared to be fine.

So we reckon that its either the rubber pipe '13' on the diagram or the plastic hose that the rubber pipe connects too? Really hoping its not the plastic hose as there doesn't appear to be a part number for that.

Just looking up youtube vids on how to remove the headlining.

• 5 years later...
On 01/02/2017 at 19:25, daykes1 said:

Cheers guys all really useful stuff. Lots of rain last night & with it now leaking on both sides its becoming much more serious. After a bit of detective work I managed to find the rear drain holes & they appeared to be fine.

So we reckon that its either the rubber pipe '13' on the diagram or the plastic hose that the rubber pipe connects too? Really hoping its not the plastic hose as there doesn't appear to be a part number for that.

Just looking up youtube vids on how to remove the headlining.

Hey daykes, did you manage to sort out the issue? I'd love to hear more - and even know how to remove the headlining, too! i am taking serious water at present and have no idea on how to remedy..

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
On 30/01/2017 at 19:43, daykes1 said:

I've traced the leak to the sunroof & have checked both FRONT drain holes. There was a bit of gunk, however, having cleared these out completely I still have water trickling down the outside of the sunroof drain pipe! (I have poured water directly down the drain holes to clarify)

My problem is the front passenger drain from the sunroof. I cannot see how to get to the the exit hole by the door pillar to clear out the hole. I can see by the link by nige8021 where it should be but cannot see it/get to it. What do I need to remove ?

Octavia2015 1.4 estate