Help with my skoda superb 2.5tdi v6

Hi all i am new to this forum but have been looking about on here for awhile and thought with the amount of knowledge i would see if i could get some help from people that really know skodas

I have recently bought a 2005 superb 2.5 v6 tdi it has 140k on clock and although i am more than happy with it it does have its issues

When first started in the cold mornings it takes abit longer than usaul to start and when it does fire it doesnt fire on all 6 cylinders for the first 5-10 seconds i have changed glow plugs and gave it a full service with no change at all also had timing kit/water pump changed tonight so will see tomorrow if theres any diffrence but i dont think it will have an impact ( it is abit smokey when cold aswell)

Also gears feel abit lumpy when cold especially changing from 1st to 2nd it does get better when warm but still not as smooth as i would like. Theres no grinding noise when changing gear 

The car was an ex police car so i can only assume it has been well maintained in the past

Thanks in advance for any help

How long does the glow plug light on the dash come on for when it's sub zero? It should be about six seconds or so. If not, then suspect the temperature sender that sits down in the V of the engine. Very cheap and easy to fix.

First to second very occasionally proves impossible on my V6 manual and I have to go back into first or third. Have no idea why, but it happens perhaps once every 500 times and has always done it and is not getting any worse.

If you're having the belts done, then the static timing on the VP45 fuel pump may need checking with VCDS. There are threads that detail how do this and a PDF that can be downloaded showing how.

Mine use to sound like yours when cold, but all my glow plugs had failed. Starts perfectly with no smoke now.

Edited by CRC

Hi crc thank for the reply.

I will be getting it checked on vcds within the next few weeks when i get a chance. The past 2 mornings it has started no problem since the belt has been done although it hasnt been that cold out so could just be coincidence. Will vcds bring up a faulty temperature sender. 

The stiffness between first and second doesnt happen all the time on mine either. I changed the oil in the gearbox but it didnt make much diffrence there was no metal bits in the oil either so i dont think the box is the problem. I will put the car up on a ramp in the next few days and try grease up the linkage to see if that helps (wishfull thinking at this point)

My 1.9 05 has been a bit clunky recently going from 1st to 2nd, put it down to being colder, it seems to get better as its warmed up a bit, don't know if an oil change might help?

See you're in N.I. whereabouts?

Its worth a try as the oil isnt to dear and it is very easy done on these thats where i thought i would start just to see if it helps but didnt do much for mine 

Im from Derry are you from N.I

2 hours ago, Superb1234 said:

Its worth a try as the oil isnt to dear and it is very easy done on these thats where i thought i would start just to see if it helps but didnt do much for mine 

Im from Derry are you from N.I

Derry myself.

By Derry airport and no charge, plug it in and let it do it's thing. as long as you know which module the pump timing is at, never looked at a V6, parking sensors are easy, it'll do a full scan initially anyway.

I'll PM my number.

Cheers crc definitly a good guide to get it sorted will hopefully be going out next week to get it put on a vag com because i just noticed the day its idling slightly lower than it should aswel