Ray's "White Lightning" Octavia MK2 FL CR170 VRS

raymundo

Where do i start? I've owned this car for 14 months now, and its the best car I've ever owned,

Its predecessor was a MK2 Fabia VRS which i loved, i took this around Europe with the Mrs, but with the little one on the way as a family car i didn't think it would be big enough for us to go on holiday with,

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

So i spent a bit of time looking for an Octavia that had most of the options i wanted that wasn't stupidly over priced, I found this Estate not to far away from home

Full Leather interior
Cruise control
Rear Parking Sensors
Xenon's

It didn't have Sat nav but i had retro fitted a RNS315 into the Fabia that i returned to standard ready to put into another VAG Based Car,
It did have some crap Ditch finder tyres on it so the test drive was a bit eventful (the tyres were called event :D) And after going back a few times eventually made a deal with the dealership,

phpvBEOdvPM.jpg

So on the 28th Novemeber 2015 i left "Vlad" and picked up "White Lightning"

Edited by raymundo

The First thing i set about doing was removing the Bolereo unit and fitting my RNS315 and Microphone Loop into the car, removing the glove box on this was a bit harder than the split glove box on the fabia but after a few hours it was all done,

IMG_2603.JPG

Then i found out the Battery was totally dead and to be fair had it, jumpered it and took it back to the dealer the following day, who put in a better larger capacity battery, at the same time they managed to order in the correct facia for some reason costing just over £50 :o

phptRhF8oPM.jpg

Edited by raymundo

I Then set about sorting the tyres out so i could at least drive the thing properly,

I ordered 4 tyres from tyreleader.co.uk Bridgestone Potanza RE002s at £65 a corner and then went off to my local fitting shop to get them thrown on,

IMG_2644.JPG  

After the tyres were fitted this is when i found out the dealership had done some really bad repairs to the alloys, just sanding down the corrosion and spraying new paint on whilst still on the car (all the paint pealed off as soon as the tyre fitter pushed the tyre off the rim)

Went back to the dealer again to try and get this sorted, they just did the same thing again, so i decided to wait and see how bad they would get and try and save some pennies for a full refurbishment later in the year.

Edited by raymundo

After a few months i decided to take up Sharks 25% off offer they had early last year and took it to a local garage AP Automotive in Tel ford to do the work, as the car was due its service now i got Ant to do that and put in pipecross air filter at the same time.

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3232.JPG

I have yet to get it on a rolling road but the Stage 1 remap makes the car so much easier to drive with torque being available in a greater quantity lower down the rev range, driving in 6th at 70mph felt like you was in 4th before it was mapped, it does feel like its making around 205bhp now.

Also went ahead and fitted some LED number plate lights, Tried to Code them out using VCDS but the car wasnt having any of it and had to use the built in resistors in the end,

IMG_5295.PNG

I really didn't like the Honeycomb grille i bought, so i spent the best part of 2 hours carefully splitting my old and new grilles apart and putting the new outer onto the old inner, personally i think it looks better that way, and should of been painted black from the factory instead of chrome, also at some point i fitted some Team Heko Wind Deflectors, and Sun Shades that fit the entire inside of the glass for the rear windows to help keep the bright light away from my Daughters eyes,

IMG_3689.JPG

So Last Sept i went off to Germany on the Family Holiday, no issues at Dover or Calais (think it was a load of crap on the news). I do love driving in Europe i feel the standard of driving is loads better than here in the UK, and who doesnt like driving on the De-restricted Autobahn,

phpbYYZd4PM.jpg

I prefer to use my Garmin Zumo from my Motorbike than the satnav built in as i can plan a route, tell it exactly which roads i want to take or avoid all on my pc then upload them as a saved route on the satnav. it means i can go the scenic way if i want to rather than just the quickest motorway missing out on things.

php1Q3uzUPM.jpg

Looking a bit dirty

phpXdiDiSPM.jpg

Fastest speed i managed to get saved on my satnav, so Skoda say the normal top speed is 139mph, this is remapped so i would of thought it would of been faster than 143.5mph but my speedo did say 150mph (i know they tend to over read)

phpZEHMijPM.jpg

Then Winter Came along, I managed to pick up on eBay 4 x 16" Steel wheels (needed to clear the front brakes) with some winter tyres on and some snow chains (dont think ill actually ever use the chains) for not a lot of cash again local to me, so off i went to get them and then went to go get them fitted by myself,

phpK44wkqPM.jpg

So Started on the nearside first front one was really tight but came off, rears were okay because id had them off to do the Mudflaps earlier in the year

phpLzRX0KPM.jpg

phpigPG3cPM.jpg

Came to do the front Offside and the locking wheel nut was rounded off and wouldn't budge, i dont know why garages over tighten nuts to begin with its just not needed, had to drive to a garage a friend recommended to me who eventually got the bugger off,

phpD7KjkfPM.jpg

Unfortunately it meant id lost a bit more paint off the alloy so id have to get it refurbished before spring,

After driving on my winter tyres for about 6 weeks i came to the conclusion that either the rubber had gone off or that they wasn't very good tyres to begin with, as they just kept wheel spinning up in places that summer tyres would be fine (cold greasy damp roads)

So i ended up buying 4 new winter tyres and went with some Bridgestone Blizzak's LM81 at £60 a corner i thought they were a bargain,

phpLtINduPM.jpg

The Next day i woke up to this,

phpLVAbB5PM.jpg

Never had any issues with them loosing grip.

New sticker :D

phpoakuG5PM.jpg

And Finally i went to a local Alloy wheel place to look at my wheels, after a bit of a chat i left them with him to sort out and paint Audi Carbon, i think they turned out great, i cant wait till spring now so i can put them back on :thumbup:

phpF0kDVLPM.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2017 at 22:19, benbissett93 said:

ive a white vrs to but just the saloon ! nice colour on the wheels !! remap worth the money ? clutch safe ? mpg ?

Ben,

I have a similar car (also 2010 vRS CR TDi) although it not an estate. I had my car remapped at 69000 miles and had no issue with my clutch. Now at 105000 miles and it's puling as strong as ever. Day-to-day use my mpg is far better than before (daily commute 31 miles mostly motorway queues = 50-58mpg!). Remap was from REVO and is approximately 200bhp.

EC64EBDC-C80D-4A53-A656-D190CB342C8B_zps

Edited by S400DDS
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, S400DDS said:

Ben,

I have a similar car (also 2010 vRS CR TDi) although it not an estate. I had my car remapped at 69000 miles and had no issue with my clutch. Now at 105000 miles and it's puling as strong as ever. Day-to-day use my mpg is far better than before (daily commute 31 miles mostly motorway queues = 50-58mpg!). Remap was from REVO and is approximately 200bhp.

hi mate .. that all sounds promising .. defo looking into a remap once im happy with suspension and looks !! cheers for the imput !

Ive had the map on my car for 11000 miles, just over a year, and ive not had any issues, to be fair i think the engine runs better since i had it done.

I did try to code the led rear lights on the car but it still came up with the bulb out warning light so unless there's another option i missed?