Si's x5

SNH

4 minutes ago, SNH said:

Auto is the way forward pal, I said I'd never have one but I wouldn't go back manual in a daily now. You can select manual and even fit the paddles from an smg m3. 

I've never come across the driveshaft issue but the rear subframe bushes do wear causing excessive camber but that easily fixed with some poly ones. 

my brother keeps spinning that line just have a hard time believing it :D think its worth a punt wanted one for a while was the insurance that stopped me but that seems to be ok these days.

you running poly?

think ill make my move in the next month or so before winter tax :notme:

2 minutes ago, TERKIN said:

my brother keeps spinning that line just have a hard time believing it :D think its worth a punt wanted one for a while was the insurance that stopped me but that seems to be ok these days.

you running poly?

think ill make my move in the next month or so before winter tax :notme:

I'm a manual man at heart and was always dead against getting auto but it makes driving a breeze. No faffing about changing gears just point and go, makes it a great place to be being so comfy. 

When/if mine go I'll swap to poly but they looked pretty new when I got it so I'm assuming they'd been done at some point. 

9 hours ago, SNH said:

I'm a manual man at heart and was always dead against getting auto but it makes driving a breeze. No faffing about changing gears just point and go, makes it a great place to be being so comfy. 

When/if mine go I'll swap to poly but they looked pretty new when I got it so I'm assuming they'd been done at some point. 

awesome :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, TERKIN said:

awesome :thumbup:

Although saying I wouldn't go back to manual in a daily is a fib :D

currntly looking at transits to convert into a day camper for MTB trips lol

Edited by SNH
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey how's the x5 going? Was contemplating getting one similar to yours, hence how I stumbled on this thread. Currently have 2012 mk11 vrs octavia, I keep finding myself looking at the 2005/2006 models x5. I no it will be older but dont think I care, any advice? 

• Like 1

Nearly 2 years in and its been fantastic. Only the common issue rear brake line corroding but that's easily sorted with braided hoses. 

When you look through the forums and fb groups the horror stories are enough to put anyone off :D

Mrs uses it as her daily now and other than being a bit thirsty i honestly can't fault it. 

My advice is go for a facelift one 04-07, 6 speed box and a bit more power with 218bhp. 

Make sure its got a good history, gearbox service a bonus (if auto) if not budget £300-500 for it. Bmw quotes them as a lifetime sealed unit but do tend to hold gears or jerk 2nd to 1st if not done, look for that on the test drive. 

Camber in the rear wheels is natural but if its excessive the rear bushes are worn, they like to eat the inside of the rear tyres and the outside of the fronts but that's natural and a 4wheel laser align helps massively. 

A map will see 300bhp and 450lbft :)

Its a lovely place to be and for a big old bus it motors on lol, just munches miles with ease. 

Edited by SNH

• 3 months later...

Not much to update on this tbh its still going strong, never misses a beat. 

Coming up for its mot again soon and could do with a couple of tyres on the front and some discs and pads. Other than the wear and tear stuff its been great :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@SNH i had a cordoba fail an NCT for arb bushes and droplinks once.

When mechanic and i stripped down to change them, discovered brake pads worn down to steel backing plate on the inside pads..  never spotted on visual check,no screeching/grinding and brake balance was near perfect on test.. 

Now as to what your x5 sounds like, i dont know, but she might not have noticed anything :D

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

@SNH i had a cordoba fail an NCT for arb bushes and droplinks once.

When mechanic and i stripped down to change them, discovered brake pads worn down to steel backing plate on the inside pads..  never spotted on visual check,no screeching/grinding and brake balance was near perfect on test.. 

Now as to what your x5 sounds like, i dont know, but she might not have noticed anything :D

I noticed straight away so i think she was either oblivious or drives round with the music on full blast :D

• Haha 1