Stu83's Moon White MK3 VRS 230

stu83

Hi all,

Bought my 65 plate Octavia VRS 230 back in December last year - it was a dealer ex-demo, so only had 5500 miles on, and spec'd up pretty well.

Including the VRS 230 spec, it has :

Moon White metallic paint
Black pack
19" Xtreme alloys
DSG Gearbox
Full leather (or so they call it)
Heated seats front and back
Electrically adjustable memory driver's seat
Heated washer jets
Heated windscreen
Columbus ICE (MIB2) w/ colour MFD
Adaptive cruise control
Lane assistance

Think that's it ...

It's just turned one year old, and was an absolute bargain.

Planned so far :

1.) Full detail (Took me 6 hours this weekend)
2.) Wrap the spoiler in gloss black vinyl (have quotes)
3.) Eibach Pro-Kit
4.) Stainless steel cat-back ... though the exhaust is getting more vocal (7400 miles) so I'll review in a few thousand miles
5.) Remap - Shark / Revo

Due to buying a new TV last month and helping the girlfriend with a huge bill on her car, my plans may have to wait a few months ... so this may be a slow moving thread!

Edited by stu83

Here's some photos from the clean over the weekend.

It was :

Snow foamed (Bilt Hamber Autofoam)
Rinsed
Shampoo'd (Autoglym Bodywork Conditioner)
Rinsed
Sprayed with Iron Fallout remover (Bilt Hamber Korrosol)
Rinsed
Shampoo'd again
Rinsed
Dried
Clayed (Bilt Hamber medium clay + Autoglym Rapid Detailer)

Machine polished with cutting pad and Meguiar's Ultra-cut (#105) - it actually needed this. Shocking.
Machine polished with light polishing pad and Meguiar's Ultra finishing polish (#205).

Coating of Poorboy's diamond white glaze - amazing stuff

2 x Coats of Poorboy's Natty's blue wax

Wheels :

Snowfoamed
Rinsed
Shampoo'd
Rinsed
Cleaned with Bilt Hamber auto wheels
Rinsed
Coating of Poorboy's black hole glaze
Coating of Poorboy's natt's blue wax

Tyres coated with Carpro Perl Coat Procectant

Exterior rubbers / black plastics coated with Carpro Perl Coat Procectant

Mirrors & gloss black areas coated with Poorboy's Black Hole glaze + natty's blue wax

Interior vacuum'd etc, plastics cleaned with Carpro PCP, gloss plastics treated with Black hole glaze.

20170204_121005_HDR_zpsraszx68e.jpg

20170204_122054_HDR_zpsqj1eclve.jpg

20170204_122318_HDR_zpsdaqhcgng.jpg

Edited by stu83
Change of image hoster

Eibach Pro-Kit E10-79-010-02-22 ordered today from DemonTweeks - quite cheap at £144 delivered.

They'll most likely get fitted when I have the car remapped in a few months ... still not decided on Shark or Revo yet.

Going to go down the "selectable map" route (Shark STS / Revo SPS), but I want to try and find somewhere that can download and use the current map on my car as the "standard" map on the selector. I know the 230 map has slightly different characteristics to the 220, so I don't want a generic 220 map stuck on.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... I was going to post a positive update today!

Had my spoiler vinyl wrapped in black yesterday, and my front alloys repaired due to some annoying stone chips, and a huge bit of kerbing after someone in Small Heath forced me to take evasive manouvres so the idiot didn't hit me.

Unfortunately after much fuss yesterday and having the car returned very late, it appears as though they've done a horrendous job on both jobs.

The wheels aren't repaired properly (you can still see some of the damage), aren't painted properly (blobs of paint), weren't prepared properly (dirt / grit under the paint), and now have l lacquer sprayed all over them, even over dirty areas.

The vinyl on the spoiler is lifting in four places and is full of creases. I doubt it'll last until summer.

Needless to say I've had "words" with the company who undertook the work in Bordesley Green, and I'm off there to get my money back at lunch time.

Once that's safely in my hands I'll be ordering a black magic spoiler from SuperSkoda, then having a word with the wonderful 1st Class Alloys in Lichfield to have my alloys completely stripped down and refurbed as that's what they require after this bodged job.

The work wasn't even particularly cheap, and the company had a good rep, otherwise I wouldn't have used them. Now I'm further back in my plans for the car.

Oh well, Eibachs being fitted on Saturday :-)

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

Right, managed to get them to rectify the spoiler so I'm happy with that now. Got my money back for the wheel "repairs".

Here's some photos of it in all it's glory :-) Loving the black spoiler ... in desperate need of a clean though!

20170215_1205_HDR_zpsl2agoyw3.png

20170215_1206_HDR_zpsngrpphqo.png

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

Had the Eibach Pro-Kit installed on Saturday, and very impressed.

It's now had 48 hours to settle and can definitely report an improvement in handling - there's a marked reduction in body roll, especially noticeable around faster corners.

Normal ride quality isn't compromised all that much, it's a little harder but by no means harsh.

No issues with speedbumps (even some illegally high ones), so very happy with the purchase.

£144 for the kit + £210 for fitting and wheel alignment.

Sorry again for the dirty car!!

20170320_075603_HDR_zps5cpwyzyh.jpg

20170318_175058_HDR_zpskgsds2n9.jpg

Edited by stu83
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice the spring make it sit just right not too low.  Have you had the remap done when the springs were fitted or still deciding on who to  go with

2 hours ago, vrsadz said:

Nice the spring make it sit just right not too low.  Have you had the remap done when the springs were fitted or still deciding on who to  go with

Still deciding on who to go with to be honest. I think it'll be through Midland VW (Revo) as they're local incase of any issues, plus they offer a switchable map.

I was also tempted by Shark having used them before, but they're over an hour away as opposed to Midland VW who I can get to in 15-20 mins. Pretty much the same price and performance.

Had an enormous vets bill this month so the car has dropped down my list of things to do at the moment. Loving the springs though!

3 hours ago, stu83 said:

Still deciding on who to go with to be honest. I think it'll be through Midland VW (Revo) as they're local incase of any issues, plus they offer a switchable map.

I was also tempted by Shark having used them before, but they're over an hour away as opposed to Midland VW who I can get to in 15-20 mins. Pretty much the same price and performance.

Had an enormous vets bill this month so the car has dropped down my list of things to do at the moment. Loving the springs though!

Will you be going for a Custom Map for the 230 Stu or has any tuner done a Gerenic Map for the 230 yet. I was thinking if a generic Stage one 220 Vrs map would suit but I believe the 230 has a bit more torque over a Standard 220 to begin with.

You could end up with a Mapped 230 being the same as a Mapped 220

Does all that make sense?

AG

42 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Will you be going for a Custom Map for the 230 Stu or has any tuner done a Gerenic Map for the 230 yet. I was thinking if a generic Stage one 220 Vrs map would suit but I believe the 230 has a bit more torque over a Standard 220 to begin with.

You could end up with a Mapped 230 being the same as a Mapped 220

Does all that make sense?

AG

Revo list maps for the 220 and 230 variants. From what I gather the only difference between the two engines is the map anyway - once remapped they end up at the same power and torque figure.

But yes, I'd want my "standard" map to be from a 230 as although the peak torque is the same, it's delivered slightly differently. Hopefully they'll be able to download my original map and use that as the standard, but we'll see.

Aiming for mid-late summer for the map, the car should be on around 12k miles by then. Also need to order a black spoiler as the wrap is peeling already... Bloody vinyl.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Revo list maps for the 220 and 230 variants. From what I gather the only difference between the two engines is the map anyway - once remapped they end up at the same power and torque figure.

But yes, I'd want my "standard" map to be from a 230 as although the peak torque is the same, it's delivered slightly differently. Hopefully they'll be able to download my original map and use that as the standard, but we'll see.

Aiming for mid-late summer for the map, the car should be on around 12k miles by then. Also need to order a black spoiler as the wrap is peeling already... Bloody vinyl.

Thanks for that, keep me informed about the map please, you never know.....................B)

Due to Mrs G having a replacement knee she hasn't driven the 230 yet , If I get it doctored on the quiet she might never know, You get my drift....:notme:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@stu83 - been a while since I checked back into Brisky and your project thread, but looking grand.

As we have the same motor (minus the DSG and fancy new black spoiler - which looks 'vairnaaiice' btw) and very similar thoughts on car additions, I'm glad to hear positive feedback on the Eibach Pros, particularly handling and ride height re: speed bumps. I'm looking to get the same kit ordered and fitted soon. Did have some thoughts on spacers (12mm front, 15mm rear), but was advised by a mechanic friend that this would put unnecessary stress on the wheel bearings and CV - especially for a longer-termer. So have ditched that (and the additional pricing...)

Either way, would also be interested to hear your eventual choice of map. The shop I used for my induction kit setup promotes APR (custom?) maps, so will try to get that done simultaneously. I've also heard good things about the REVO one, although the 'anti-theft mode' is a new one - which sounds cool.

Great job, looking the dog's.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

@stu83 - been a while since I checked back into Brisky and your project thread, but looking grand.

As we have the same motor (minus the DSG and fancy new black spoiler - which looks 'vairnaaiice' btw) and very similar thoughts on car additions, I'm glad to hear positive feedback on the Eibach Pros, particularly handling and ride height re: speed bumps. I'm looking to get the same kit ordered and fitted soon. Did have some thoughts on spacers (12mm front, 15mm rear), but was advised by a mechanic friend that this would put unnecessary stress on the wheel bearings and CV - especially for a longer-termer. So have ditched that (and the additional pricing...)

Either way, would also be interested to hear your eventual choice of map. The shop I used for my induction kit setup promotes APR (custom?) maps, so will try to get that done simultaneously. I've also heard good things about the REVO one, although the 'anti-theft mode' is a new one - which sounds cool.

Great job, looking the dog's.

Yeah, I avoided the spacers for pretty much the same reason, and to be fair I don't think it needs them ... just my opinion :)

The spoiler has started peeling again, looks like the company who wrapped it actually did a rubbish job after all. Hoping to buy a 'proper' Black Magic spoiler from SuperSkoda next month, then just find someone to fit it and sell the old white one once I've stripped the vinyl off. It's definitely the right move though, I think it looks miles better in black!

I've been in contact with Oscarli and R-Tech regarding the map today incidentally, just to see what they offer, prices etc. R-Tech can't map the 230 yet, and Oscarli have quoted a power figure of around 300bhp and 450nm torque. Just awaiting a price now. 

Still not decided on who to go for, may still end up being Revo or Shark, but I want to make sure that whoever does it is local just incase of any issues. My preference of having a switchable map is changing slightly as I'm not 100% sure I'd make the most of it. Probably better off reducing wear and tear by using my right foot!

Also, adding a SPS to a Revo map makes the total cost £700+, and it's within about £30 of that with Shark. From what I gather the general cost at Oscarli, who produce excellent maps, is around the £400 mark, possibly even below. I'm not convinced that I'd be getting £300 worth of extra 'value' or flexibility from going with Revo / Shark.

APR maps have got a good rep, but from what I hear they're also damned expensive ie over £700 for the basic map!

I get paid on the 14th of each month, so as long as all goes according to plan I'll hopefully be getting the map sorted mid / late May.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stu83 said:

I get paid on the 14th of each month, so as long as all goes according to plan I'll hopefully be getting the map sorted mid / late May.

I'll be looking forward to an update on this then ;). Glad someone else had the same opinion with spacers - think it's just because I wandered past an RS4 the other day and admired it's phat posture... not worth it though.

Re: any map (and please anyone point me to the relevant thread if so) but once it's been flashed / uploaded, is there any risk of it being wiped during a (Skoda) service? Admittedly I've heard this second-hand and not had time to do extensive research on specifics between Oscarli / Revo / APR etc., but is there much likelihood of it occurring, do you know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

Re: any map (and please anyone point me to the relevant thread if so) but once it's been flashed / uploaded, is there any risk of it being wiped during a (Skoda) service? Admittedly I've heard this second-hand and not had time to do extensive research on specifics between Oscarli / Revo / APR etc., but is there much likelihood of it occurring, do you know?

I think it 'can' happen if there's a new ECU update, but most decent mappers will put the map back on F.O.C in those events.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stu83 said:

I think it 'can' happen if there's a new ECU update, but most decent mappers will put the map back on F.O.C in those events.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I'll also ask the shop for peace-of-mind / professional clarification (liability time!) to double-check, but sounds straightforward. All the best until May. One day, I'll get around to putting my one on the projects threads haha!

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...