Stu83's Moon White MK3 VRS 230

stu83

On 19/07/2017 at 08:57, nidza said:

@stu83, can you make a photo of rear wheel with 235 on Xtremes? 

Good choice of tires, I am fan of GY, but also this P-Zero doesn't seem to have any issues. Pirellis like very hot weather here (but then again, this precisely could have been the issue in the UK).

Sorry, completely missed this.

I'll try and get a photo later. Photobucket have decided to stop allowing 3rd party hosting now so need to move all my photos for posting :-(

Quick (boring) update.

Had fun recently with a flat tyre ... Didn't want to waste a new £140 tyre with the weld stuff, so tried to take the wheel off to get the tyre repaired.

The lovely guys at my local tyre place put the wheels on SO tight that it broke the wheel brace from my Mrs' car (I don't have one, the car came with a compressor and can of weld).

Had to call Skoda assistance to come and take it off, then got it all sorted at another tyre place.

Then on Sunday one of my brake hoses decided to burst. That was fun.

Turns out when my springs were replaced the garage (whom I previously trusted and have used all the time for the last 10 years or so) damaged one of my hubs. Essentially the carrier for the brake hose was knackered, so the hose kept rubbing until it wore through.

Another Skoda assistance call, this time the car was recovered and was put in a brand new Audi A4 S-line Avant for the week.

All sorted, but due to the issue being caused by another garage's issue, it wasn't covered under warranty. Cue one new hub, brake line etc for the princely sum of £547.

I'm more positive news though, I've sorted an annoying fuel line rattle I've been getting :

• Like 1

Oh, and bought a space saver wheel from eBay for £50 delivered (it's practically brand new) and the spare wheel kit from Skoda.

£95 all in, and now I actually have a spare wheel, Jack and brace!

Went around and loosened all the nuts with a telescopic brace and tightened them properly. Bit of peace of mind!

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Quick (boring) update.

Had fun recently with a flat tyre ... Didn't want to waste a new £140 tyre with the weld stuff, so tried to take the wheel off to get the tyre repaired.

The lovely guys at my local tyre place put the wheels on SO tight that it broke the wheel brace from my Mrs' car (I don't have one, the car came with a compressor and can of weld).

Had to call Skoda assistance to come and take it off, then got it all sorted at another tyre place.

Then on Sunday one of my brake hoses decided to burst. That was fun.

Turns out when my springs were replaced the garage (whom I previously trusted and have used all the time for the last 10 years or so) damaged one of my hubs. Essentially the carrier for the brake hose was knackered, so the hose kept rubbing until it wore through.

Another Skoda assistance call, this time the car was recovered and was put in a brand new Audi A4 S-line Avant for the week.

All sorted, but due to the issue being caused by another garage's issue, it wasn't covered under warranty. Cue one new hub, brake line etc for the princely sum of £547.

I'm more positive news though, I've sorted an annoying fuel line rattle I've been getting :

Ouch at the bill! Sounds like you've had an unlucky week! Guessing you won't be going back to said Garage?

How was the A4 S-line in comparison to the VRS?

16 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Ouch at the bill! Sounds like you've had an unlucky week! Guessing you won't be going back to said Garage?

How was the A4 S-line in comparison to the VRS?

It was a mistake ... A costly one, but they're looking after me with some stuff so no massive harm done.

The A4 was really nice. Hated it at first, thought it was cramped, dull, no steering feel, but as the week went on I sadly really began to like it.

It didn't have the character of the VRS, ie everything was quite numb and detracted from driving. But that's what also made me like it on my commute. Everything was mechanically and acoustically damped to perfection. Absolutely no movement through the body whilst driving, it just went and gripped with no fuss - the car did everything for you.

Also had the new 7 speed wet DSG which was fantastic. Shame it was a diesel.

Maybe in another 10 years when I'm in my 40s eh?

• Like 2