LATEST MAP DOWNLOAD

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

I have now downloaded the 161 and 166 updates. Do I have to apply these updates sequentially, or can I skip the 161 and go straight to the 166? Thanks!

Straight to the most recent, so 166 (2018).

It completely replaces all your installed maps and included POI on your Columbus with the new data (as opposed to just modifying the old data).

It does not delete any personal POI (PPOI) you may have already added (just in case that's a concern).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I installed 2018 ECE last night - it took about 30 minutes or so and it did not overwrite any personal POIs so I'm very happy. This is the 2nd update I've done as I did the 2017/2018 ECE late August 2017 and the process is completely painless.

So I take it that I download to my PC the file from the link kindly provided by MartiniB and then copy that file from my PC to a clean SD card and then plug that into my Columbus?!  

Any hints or tips will be gratefully received :)

Yes, @Prykey

For a PC (Windows) just as you say. The file needs to be unzipped when downloaded.

The files you need on a newly formatted SD card are metainfo2.txt, and the two folders called Mib1 and  Mib2 - nothing else.

That should do the trick.

Ash

• Thanks 1

The latest update is now shown on the Skoda portal.  http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-gb

All I do is download the file to my PC. Windows 10)

About 10 hours later when it has finished downloading.

Connect your 32GB SD card to the PC and format it first (this wipes anything on the card)

Then copy the downloaded zip file to your SD card and hey presto.

Off to the car,,insert into the SD slot

Then menu--settings---system info-----update software.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

About 25-30 minutes later the download is complete. It will hold and resume if you have to switch off the car.

Remove the SD card and finish

The only problem I have is the extensive time it takes to download from the portal. Worst case was over 12 hours !!!! I know I have a pretty slow connection at 6Meg but crazy crazy amounts of data. We should be able to select the countries we need for goodness sake.

Edited by Sagalout
  • Thanks 1

Ash/Sagalout,

If you download the file from the link provided by MartiniB it is not a zipped file its a file that is 25,483,073 KB in size so a little over 25GB in size called P166_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT.7z so do I just copy that onto my SD Card?

I've just checked and I'm still showing: -

image.thumb.png.77bc60e5c5438ce49ad0788a1e44474a.png 

Edited by Prykey

Hi,

I've just logged on and 2018 maps showing on the Skoda update portal for me. :wondering:

The file I downloaded (to a Mac) is zipped and I unzipped it with Unarchiver. It would not update straight from the file for me and I had to unzip and copy the files mentioned in my last post  to my SD card

@Sagalout says you don't need to unzip when downloaded from Windows

5a0cd44d25246_ScreenShot2017-11-15at23_55_24.png.a6a4069cf16c32633ca1efc2bbad7d67.png

I would copy straight to your newly formatted SD card and see if it works.

7 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

Hi,

I've just logged on and 2018 maps showing on the Skoda update portal for me. :wondering:

The file I downloaded (to a Mac) is zipped and I unzipped it with Unarchiver. It would not update straight from the file for me and I had to unzip and copy the files mentioned in my last post  to my SD card

@Sagalout says you don't need to unzip when downloaded from Windows

5a0cd44d25246_ScreenShot2017-11-15at23_55_24.png.a6a4069cf16c32633ca1efc2bbad7d67.png

I would copy straight to your newly formatted SD card and see if it works.

We are both talking about updating a Columbus unit aren't we? :o

5 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

We are :)

The file you quoted in your post is the same as the one I have down loaded so thats a good start, I've even tried a different browser and its still not showing ECE2018 for me, mine is a MY16!

I hate this bloody system as I don't want to take a chance and screw the bloody thing up, maybe I'll wait until I'm offered ECE2018 for my VIN.

Edited by Prykey

1 minute ago, Ashmount said:

Really!

Sorry for a dumb question...are you logged on here http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-gb?

Ash

Yep, just tried again and the offering is still the same, it must be driven by the VIN, what model year is yours?

Model year MY17 (last of the models before  MY18 hit the showrooms.)

Because I'm a curious type I started the download for the 2018 maps off the portal. The update is to P166 maps, same as the file you have downloaded.

I would work with that and forget about the portal.

7 minutes ago, Prykey said:

If you download the file from the link provided by MartiniB it is not a zipped file its a file that is 25,483,073 KB in size so a little over 25GB in size so do I just copy that onto my SD Card?

It is a zipped file - 7z = "7-zip" supposedly a more efficient compression than normal zip.

You still need to extract the file (metainfo2.txt) and two folders (MiB1 and MiB2) as you would a normal zip file. You may need an extraction utility that can handle 7-zip.

4 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

@Sagalout says you don't need to unzip when downloaded from Windows.

If you download from the portal on a Windows PC it runs a downloader utility that downloads and extracts the file/folders to the SD Card for you. Copying a zip file to the SD Card doesn't work, AFAIK.

If you download from the portal on a Mac PC it downloads the zip file to your downloads folder (or whatever location you've set). If you have the Safari -> Preferences -> General -> Open "safe" files after downloading checked then it will auto-extract the zip file once it's fully downloaded (I can't recommend this - as a rule it's not always efficient at extracting the enclosed data if it was created using Windows drive letters). It's best to use a dedicated utility like The Unarchiver to extract compressed files like zip and 7z.

2 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Yep, just tried again and the offering is still the same, it must be driven by the VIN, what model year is yours?

Try clearing your browser cache. It may be reloading a previously cached copy of the page. My MY16 VIN is showing the ECE2018 file.

• Thanks 1

Model year MY17 (last of the models before  MY18 hit the showrooms.)

Because I'm a curious type I started the download for the 2018 maps off the portal. The update is to P166 maps, same as the file you have downloaded.

I would work with that and forget about the portal.

I'll start the copying onto my SD card as that will take forever, and check in the morning if anyone else can throw any light on it, I have to say that when I looked at a previous SD card for ECE2017 it did have those MIB folders in it!

19 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

Try clearing your browser cache. It may be reloading a previously cached copy of the page. My MY16 VIN is showing the ECE2018 file.

Good thought.

17 minutes ago, Prykey said:

I'll start the copying onto my SD card as that will take forever, and check in the morning if anyone else can throw any light on it, I have to say that when I looked at a previous SD card for ECE2017 it did have those MIB folders in it!

For all the time it takes I would extract the downloaded file to a new folder on your desktop, then copy the metainfo2.txt, and the two folders called Mib1 and  Mib2 to your newly formatted SD card. 

I know what you mean about going with the 'official' Skoda portal maps...somewhere in my mind I'm thinking why wouldn't the one download do for all the VAG family  - why the slightly different file name on the Skoda portal, although the map version (ECE166) is the same? Are there subtle differences. Must check if Skoda dealers register on POis.

Edited by Ashmount
Unnecessary screenshots

I checked yesterday and it was showing 2017/18 for my VIN. It now shows 2018.

Downloading to try it tomorrow- estimates it will take about 57 minutes to download.

EDIT: Well this is slow... only about 8MB/s download. :-(

Edited by rtj70

7 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

:) Just about to suggest you try another pc or laptop. 

Even using the laptop its still showing ECE 2017/2018, I'm giving up for now 

Must check if Skoda dealers register on POis.

Yes, they do. Now on my third VW-sourced (7z) map update.

Basically it's the same update for all the VAG brands that use MiB 1 or 2 - VW, Audi, Skoda, SEAT.

The POI for all the brands is included. It's the firmware of the MiB unit that chooses which brand of dealership/workshops, etc, to display, so for Skoda Columbus/Amundsen it defaults to listing the Skoda related POIs. The exact same file in, say, a VW Tiguan Navigation Pro (which is simply Columbus by another name), will default to showing VW dealerships/workshops.

FYI - All Superb MiB units are MiB 2. MiB 1 was short-lived and never used by Skoda. Skoda were still using RNS when VW and Audi were already using MiB 1.

• Thanks 1