water ingression

cha35

hi...im new to this site. ive just bought an Octavia vrs ltd edition. seems a decent car though I am having some water getting in through drivers front door and perhaps other places... is there any common faults with this car which I need to be aware of????   cheers for any advice I can get peoples!!!!!

Hi blacksPaven no sunroof it's a hatchback mate.

Hi The client I'll have a better look about

I'm trying to figure the site out : ))

Just thinking of getting a scalpel and cylicone gun and running a bead along the weather strip along the top of the door see what like.... cheers for responding lads!!

Another favourite is the door seal behind the door card. It's rivetted on and if it goes it'll leak down the bottom of the card. Easy one to test, just run water down the window with the door open. If the door card is sound, the only water you'll see from the inside will be from the holes right at the bottom of the door, if it isn't it'll be leaking right at the point the door card meets the door, and hence then into the cabin.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2017 at 15:12, blackspaven said:

Another favourite is the door seal behind the door card. It's rivetted on and if it goes it'll leak down the bottom of the card. Easy one to test, just run water down the window with the door open. If the door card is sound, the only water you'll see from the inside will be from the holes right at the bottom of the door, if it isn't it'll be leaking right at the point the door card meets the door, and hence then into the cabin.

I done the running water down the window with the door open test and the only drain with water coming out was the one nearest the hinge. There didn't appear to be any between the door card and door at the bottom. The top of the door on the inside and on the car itself does seem to get excessively wet after rain.

Apologies if I sound like a bit of a simpleton here but I really am quite ignorant when it comes to things like this.

Edited by YetiMark

Do it again with the door closed then open it. When the door is closed, the drain holes are blocked so water builds up in the door then eventually pours over coming out between the door card and the door then into the car. If you take the door card of, you will see a large removable plate held on by rivets. The seal for this goes, most people just silicone round it rather replacing the seal. 

Only ever taken the rear LH side of. That was pretty easy, there was a big screw inside the main door grab so you need to get the outer part of first and the rest of the card was held on by clips that popped of. One bit of advice, get the proper tools for taking trims of. Tools like screwdrivers cause lots of damage to plastic.