Budget Tyres

Granite66

I've got a 1.2 TSI with a much too old set of Contis (215/40R17) on, and from personal experience believe me it's got plenty of power to overcome 5h1tty tyres in the wet.

The TC light has never been on so much as last winter, and wide tyres do aquaplane more anyway.

Edited by camelspyyder

4 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I've got a 1.2 TSI with a much too old set of Contis (215/40R17) on, and from personal experience believe me it's got plenty of power to overcome 5h1tty tyres in the wet.

The TC light has never been on so much as last winter, and wide tyres do aquaplane more anyway.

I assume you have the 105 ps engine?

I haven't had the TC light come on even when I had runway's on the front.

Best wishes,

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 17:42, GenePoolReject said:

Although cheap Tyres can be a GAMBLE I think it depends on the driver as to how big a risk they are. A good driver who doesn't drive a car to its limits is unlikely to find the LIMITATIONS of a budget tyre in the same way someone with poor road sense would. I also think there are some gems out there, I had a modified focus with accelera alphas on and they were excellent in all conditions but it's a brand we no longer fit at work due to apparent POOR QUALITY. That's not to say I don't believe in getting what you pay for, I've just fitted 4 avons to my furby, hardly a budget tyre but I also drive it quite hard from time to time so I notice where the extra money went and if it was being used on track from time to time I'd have some more serious rubber, I doubt my mother could tell the difference though.

I guess you have to consider the fact that a lot of cars on the road now sit on eco tyres which are essentially designed with less grip to give better economy and a lot of those will be premium brands so make of that what you will.

Tyres, giving petrol heads a headache since the days of the horse and cart.

The big problem with many budget tyres seems that they have a much narrower envelope and they often get to their limitation without warning. It does not matter whether you are an ace or looser as a driver, it matters what happens in that unexpected situation where you have to do an emergency stop or massive swerve. The budget tyres won't be your friend and saviour then while a mid range to premium would have saved the situation together with your car's electrics.

Search 'Youtube' for tyre comparisons.

I've just had another 2 cheapo tyres fitted to my shed heap lupo, they are branded Revolo. They were 33 quid each fitted. The last ones did 20k miles and I'll he honest and say they were really good right up until I changed them.

I'd fit them to anything with upto about 100bhp as most cars with that sort of power are meant to be pottering around. They have been excellent. In the dry they are very good and the wet they have been excellent.

20k miles per tyre on the front I don't think is bad at all.

19 minutes ago, FlipFlops said:

I've just had another 2 cheapo tyres fitted to my shed heap lupo, they are branded Revolo. They were 33 quid each fitted. The last ones did 20k miles and I'll he honest and say they were really good right up until I changed them.

I'd fit them to anything with upto about 100bhp as most cars with that sort of power are meant to be pottering around. They have been excellent. In the dry they are very good and the wet they have been excellent.

20k miles per tyre on the front I don't think is bad at all.

I think you'll find that a Lupo on good tyres will still return 1g give or take emergency braking.

Guest FurryFriend

Some honest advice please.

Most unimpressed with the Cinturato Pirelli P7 tyres that came on our Yeti back in March. 

Ok, they're fair enough on a nice warm day, and for general driving about, but we've noticed that from time to time when emerging from junctions particularly, the grip is not reassuring, and even at low speeds, particularly on wet or greasy roads we've had complete loss of traction and wheelspin on the front wheels when turning into traffic.

I'm no boy racer, so this is a concern. No grip = no confidence in them. Especially with winter on the way. 

Now, I know it USED to go on years ago, but do factory fitted tyres as fitted to new vehicles these days have a cheaper spec, poor quality and less tread? Just interested. I actually commented at the dealers when we collected it that the tread on our brand new car tyres wasn't anything to write home about. 

I'm going to replace them shortly with Kumho tyres. We've had Kumhos on 3 other vehicles, and I have nothing but praise for them. A more budget brand agreed, but with limpet like grip, great mileage and excellent comfort/noise ride, they knock the spots off these Pirellis. 

Don't get me wrong here. I can well afford Michelins, Bridgestones etc etc, but in most cases I think you pay for the name and I'm not convinced that all their marketing hype matches their products in most cases

Anyone know, from actual experience,  of a really excellent tyre for the Yeti..... Otherwise it will be the Kumhos again, because I've not found anything that even comes close..... Even on much faster cars and people carriers etc that I've owned. 

Thanks. 

Edited by FurryFriend

I would rather buy used good tyres off a broken car than really bad tyres, ive just got though some Uniroyals rs3, and wanted to go back to standard alloys. bought a set with landsail tyres 7mm, and fck me they where really dangerous, lost grip around corners and train lines, absolutely awful!! I got a set of Barum Bravuris 3HM used with 6mm tread, and binned the landsail wouldn't wish them on anyone. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just binned a pair of evergreen EH 23's 185/60/r14. They came with a set of standard alloys and looked brand new. Seller said they'd been on around  six months but not done more than 1k. Balanced up ok but so bloody noisy above 50mph and crap grip with the slightest of moisture. This AM I was all over the place in the back streets of Worcester. 

Just to weigh in with a bit more feedback, I had a pair of Landsail LS388's fitted to the front at the end of last October (2016) and have managed to squeeze nearly 15k miles out of them (which to me isn't too bad for a fairly powerful car (mk1 vrs Octy). They have performed absolutely fine in all weather conditions, only really starting to show any real handling issues when they got to about 3mm of tread left (started to notice a bit more tramlining).

Have now had them changed for a pair of Marshall MU12's (I think) supplied and fitted for £100 (225/45/17's this time, rather than the standard 205/50's) - and they are fantastic so far, even in the heavy snow we had, I never experienced any major issues with grip or handling, even on icy, snow covered roads (we are a rural area) and that was with the TC turned off, just steady use of the throttle and brakes. Just over 600 miles covered on them so far, and they still look like new, so happy with them so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread so thought I would add my own review.

In August last year I bought a set of Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 in 205/45x16 for my Fabia Elegance Estate. The car is used mainly for commuting (18 miles each way) so I don't really get to test tyres to any extreme. However, today I had to take my lad back to Uni and so got to test the tyres on all types of road in some fairly horrendous conditions.

I choose my tyres based on 3 criteria - wet grip (must be 'A'), and noise (the lower the better) and then price. The Yokohama's are not widely known but had the mandatory 'A' wet grip rating and measured just 67dB; they weren't exactly cheap (about £80 each from memory) but I don't like to scrimp on tyres, they are, after all, the only thing that is in contact with the road! They are not routinely stocked by Camskill so had to wait 4 days for delivery.

Whilst acknowledging that the tyres are relatively new and therefore still have a deep tread, they were brilliant today. Standing water was dealt with the merest of 'drag' on the steering wheel and in all conditions and circumstances they never felt anything other than 'solid' and confidence inspiring. Driving at 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway presented no dramas whatsoever, even though the road was soaking and often had rivers or large puddles of standing water. Lets be clear, though, I am a conservative and 'safe' driver so am not pushing the performance envelope but I do feel that if an emergency situation arose then the tyres would help not hinder me.

Yes, these Yokos are expensive compared to some brands, but I am happy that I paid the extra for the piece of mind. I take my family in this car.

• Like 1

Personally I would be happy with £80 a tyre, Yokohama do seem to be getting some good feedback from what I have seen. When I bought the car the dealer had 3 new  Landsail LS388's put on the car as they were below minimum tread. They have been fine for me but next time I am thinking the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT at £95 each, the Yokohama are £90 locally.

Has anybody used Kumho tyres at all?

Kumho are pretty decent, mid range tyre. I've used them in the past.

just my input into this thread:

My wife drives a 1.4 Astra which would struggle to pull you out of bed on a cold morning, she doesn't drive fast and doesn't hoon it about the bends. I still gave it a new set of Goodyear tyres when it needed them. Why? Because it carries her and my daughter about (and me at the weekend) and because in my opinion, it's not about 'well if you don't drive fast, you don't need premium tyres' - it's about the ability of that tyre to help you out if you hit a sudden patch of standing water or have to brake hard or swerve out the way for any reason. 

I will never fit budget tyres.  It's just something I won't do. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

del-gti; agree 100%. Further, I wouldn't run tyres down below about 3mm of tread as performance falls off markedly, particularly in the wet.

Someone commented on another forum: "Would you go mountaineering with cheap ropes?"

But then you do not just buy ropes because they are more expensive or their manufacturer has a bigger advertising budget or sponsors some events.

You buy what works, and maybe not what someone that buys more expensive because they think better value and ability is not also a good thing or someone with limited knowledge of the subject buys, that is up to them.

ir-DSCF0762.JPG

ir-DSCF0768.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3895.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki