Michelin CrossClimates?

fabiamk2SE

Watching this thread with interest too. The wife has been using winter wheels and tyres on her 1 series but this will be their last time on the car as they are starting to crack. As the mileage is so low was thinking of all season tyres instead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huskoda said:

My personal views are: Do you drive the car hard or has it got relatively high performance? Then Michelin CrossClimates are likely best. For a sedate driver I would go for Nokian WeatherProofs.

Its not fast, its only a HTP but i am quite a spirited driver in the corners. 

If it was a higher performance motor, id have a seperate winter set of wheels. But being what it is i think these will be enough?

the vector 4 seasons have been good but they feel quite vague on the turn in compared to summers. Sort of, not very precise, if you know what i mean. 

51 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

I've never seen or read or even heard of anything other than glowing reviews for these tyres. They can be bought with confidence in my opinion.

Cheers. 

Ive not heard anything bad either. As many views as i can get is best imo. 

Theirs still some left on the vectors but theyre not as good in snow anymore and have started being not quite as good on wet roads either. 

I've always swapped over to winter wheels/tyres, as I used to do a lot of miles on the North York Moors. Tried Vredestein Snowtrac's & recently Dunlop Winter Sport SP 3D's.

Both are awesome tyres for winter use. The Snowtrac's have helped in some really deep snow.

However, I don't do as much mileage & I really can't be bothered to swap all 4 wheels twice a year now! It's becoming a chore, & doesn't help that the dealer over-tightens the locking wheel bolt!

I am planning to purchase some CrossClimates for the vRS soon. As above, I read all the reviews, all of which are good.

But they are not out right winters though. Michelin state they are summer tyres with winter markings (M+S with the three peak snowflake).

The tread blocks don't have the zigzag cuts which help the tyres "stick" to the snow.

But the CrossClimates are a good compromise.

Is there a Fabia MkII size? Nearest I could find in 17" was 215/45 17 for about £100 each (fitted) back in October. Didn't check smaller diameters.

Edited by Jeeves
Currency

25 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Looks like theirs a CrossClimate Plus out this month. 

Maybe worth holding on for, whatever the difference is...

Supposed to be improved so there are same levels of performance regardless of tyre wear..... But more expensive.

• Like 1

Bloke at work had them, said they were good.

Didn't get a lot of detail.

They don't do them in fat barsteward sizes so I can't get them for the beemer or I would probably have had them next.

• Like 2

In my experience i wouldnt have all seasons on anythin with any power anyway.

They tend to be a compromise in some areas, which is fine on smaller stuff but on bigger stuff youd probably want the feel and grip in summer of a summer tyre n the bite in winter of a winter. 

The vectors have been good on the fab but its not a fast motor. Hoping the CrossClimates will be even better

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

In my experience i wouldnt have all seasons on anythin with any power anyway.

They tend to be a compromise in some areas, which is fine on smaller stuff but on bigger stuff youd probably want the feel and grip in summer of a summer tyre n the bite in winter of a winter. 

The vectors have been good on the fab but its not a fast motor. Hoping the CrossClimates will be even better

You might be right. Car gave me a slap on Friday for giving it too much on a cold wet road. Mate has a 330d xdrive, has asked me if I had winters on it, coz you will next year he said.

I guess he's had the back end step out as well.

3 hours ago, Aspman said:

You might be right. Car gave me a slap on Friday for giving it too much on a cold wet road. Mate has a 330d xdrive, has asked me if I had winters on it, coz you will next year he said.

I guess he's had the back end step out as well.

isnt the xdrive 4x4? He should be okay, surely. 

The vectors are just a little on the vague side when you turn in. They grip well in most conditions n are ideal for something like a little hatch id say. 

crossclimates are supposedly based on summers though so maybe theyre different. 

I like the best tyres i can get on anythin tbh. Just because i cant be doing with crap that slides around everywhere 

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

isnt the xdrive 4x4? He should be okay, surely. 

Both our cars are 4x4, but set up with rwd bias. Still quite tail happy on a slippy road.

• Like 1

Cross climates and Yeti working well in the Alps and no problem at all tackling a steep and snowy farm track this morning to reach better skiing.

Otherwise they're quiet and progressive and noticeably more compliant in cold weather when our previous summer tyres would feel much less forgiving and under steer. The Cross Climates were particularly good in near freezing rain, sleet and snow when the weather couldn't decide what it wanted to do but we needed to crack on - we did and with justified confidence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PirateSyrett said:

Cross climates and Yeti working well in the Alps and no problem at all tackling a steep and snowy farm track this morning to reach better skiing.

Otherwise they're quiet and progressive and noticeably more compliant in cold weather when our previous summer tyres would feel much less forgiving and under steer. The Cross Climates were particularly good in near freezing rain, sleet and snow when the weather couldn't decide what it wanted to do but we needed to crack on - we did and with justified confidence.

Very good to hear. Thanks. 

Would you say they feel like precise on the turn in? 

Fabiamk2se,

Thank you - the car has the same amount of feel, but turns in much better in the cold and they don't seem compromised in warmer weather (15 C) either. There must be a catch somewhere, but other than the price (ouch!), we haven't noticed it yet!

We push our Yeti quite hard because it's so well balanced and 'chuckable' especially in the wet. We grew up in 205 GTIs, ditched a new Discovery for the Yeti and my wife's other car is a fab BMW 330 so we really didn't want to ruin it by fitting the Cross Climates. We're pleased with our choice and would fit them again.

Hope this helps, M

• Like 2

On 13/02/2017 at 19:01, Aspman said:

Both our cars are 4x4, but set up with rwd bias. Still quite tail happy on a slippy road.

In that slushy, icy stuff we had a few weeks ago, the X5 squirmed a bit in full winters putting the power down not gently enough when testing what grip was there.  I would imagine it would be awful in a M Sport Spec with the 20" Sport  wheels. I didn't take the Octavia (with the Crossclimates) to work as the forecast was for more snow - so took the better equipped car.  The Crossclimates have been very good so far and not noticed any problems so far (6k travelled) in the soggy NW  - mainly on motorway and ocassionally on A /B roads.

Edited by io1901
  • Like 2