Checking for dodgy window mech before failure.

vindaloo

Is there a way of easily checking this? I can obviously drop the door card off and lower the window a tad to view the clips.

Assuming I do that and find it's on the way out, is there a way of replacing a window mech clip without major surgery.... i.e. the ball-ache of having to remove the carrier?

There's obviously something afoot with it. Driver's side window goes down cleanly and stops with a muffled thud. Passenger side one goes down and stops... rather more mechanically. Like it's clattering something as it stops. FTTB I think I'll be careful with it. Until the weather improves.

• 4 months later...

An update... It broke last night. Window currently held up by Duck tape.

I think I simply need the clips to replace broken ones. That plus the usual rivet/rivnut conversation with the car to rwefit the carrier.

I've seen "improved" all-metal window sliders for the mk4 Golf. Rather than fit new "fail" clips. Is it possible to use the Golf ones?

New Fabia fail clips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-ELECTRIC-Window-Regulator-Repair-Sliding-Clips-Made-in-EU/321393975534?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44828%26meid%3D440f2bdb89ce47bcb9d3aa3423edef8c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D112435565500

Improved ones available for the MK4 Golf (Golf originally came with fail clips of a similar design.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK4-4-5-DOORS-Window-Regulator-Repair-Metal-Clips-Front-Right-OSF-Side/181986257535?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44828%26meid%3D440f2bdb89ce47bcb9d3aa3423edef8c%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D112435565500

Edited by vindaloo

Minor update....

As we're talking minor beer money, I bought both sets of clips. Will see if the Golf ones fit or not.

Carrier panel refit... Rivets or 6mm rivnuts/nutserts? also, any rope like bituminous seal recommended that I can apply to the door before commencing refit?

Can't comment on rivets or rivnuts as I did not have too remove carrier to fix leak. But Shell Tixophalte "Wet Seal and Fix" (recommended elsewhere on this forum) worked great for me. Applied three years ago and still OK. 

Yeah, was wondering if there was a semi-tack squishy seal someone knew of that might do the job. There must be some bitumen type round seal sold on a roll.

The alternative is I buy another throw-away overalls. I'm no good at keeping stuff clean when working with the black goo. (Roof and gutter sealant).

J.

<sigh>

Hopefully I'll drop the carrier today/tomorrow. This encounter with the window mech is turning into a saga though. The all-metal MK4 parts turned up.... complete with broken casting. BALLS!

vendor is re-shipping. It's going to be something of an embarrassment now if I find they can't fit. I do have a knackered one to play with though.

J.

Today......

The MK4 re-ship turned up, yippee!

The Skoda metal/plasti-fail ones turned up, yi.... :( No, wait a minute.... Yup, they sent driver's side ones. Vendor contacted.

Worse actually: -

Now I've managed to get the carrier off.... The Mk4 Golf ones will not fit. It is irritating as they are pretty much the same shape AND size. It seems the profile of the "runner" sections of the window mechanism on the Golf is deeper. Thus, the clips are deeper. They cannot sit flush if trying to fit them to Fabia. And I'd guess Polo/Ibiza.

No contact yet from the Skoda window clip man. A shame considering the excellent form of the other guy in sending replacements for the broken parts.

If no go by tomorrow, I'll "not-as-described" on eBay. Then go to Mr skoda for the rivets AND the clips.

Found out today the local dealership "went" earlier this year. I'd spoken to "them" on their phone number on Wednesday. That's apparently re-directing to Aylesbury. So, 4 miles, OK, 24 miles and through Aylesbury, nah....

Nearest now is Willis in Ruislip.

Edited by vindaloo

Still no rivets but progress.

1) Tip for removing the wiring connector to the lock. (It's a pain hidden up behind the return of the main door panel and complicate by the carrier hanging 1/2 off). Get a 3-5mm allen key or torx key or make something similarly  "L" shaped with about a 15-20mm short end and 70-100mm of long end. The retaining clip releases "backwards" on the connector, i.e. Downwards , more or less towards the floor given the orientation. On my car, the connector simply slid off with no quarrel once the clip was released.

2) Take the motor off the console if you need the mechanism to slide.

3) If you've bought replacement clips or the plastic sliders. Cut up an old wire coat hanger to make a retaining tool or tools to hold the springs tight on the winder mechanism. Getting the barrel ends of the cables in is "just" possible with the springs fully compressed. Otherwise, a friend and/or a swear box will be required.

Just need the riveter and rivets now.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2017 at 19:46, Doily said:

Can't comment on rivets or rivnuts as I did not have too remove carrier to fix leak. But Shell Tixophalte "Wet Seal and Fix" (recommended elsewhere on this forum) worked great for me. Applied three years ago and still OK. 

That was possibly me :biggrin: Sealed my doors about 5 years ago now and still no suggestion that it needs doing again :)

Quick dip of a finger in some white spirit helps spread/work it without clogging your finger & door and keeps it all nice and clean. 

Edit; Love the tip, Vindaloo. A right PITA job. 

Edited by jars

On 28/06/2017 at 14:21, vindaloo said:

No contact yet from the Skoda window clip man. A shame considering the excellent form of the other guy in sending replacements for the broken parts.

If no go by tomorrow, I'll "not-as-described" on eBay. Then go to Mr skoda for the rivets AND the clips.

Have now received a return pre-paid mail sticker. Plus apologies from the vendor.

• 2 weeks later...

Just kicked my arse into gear and returned the clips to the vendor.

Rivets obtained (12) from Willis Skoda in Ruislip. I'm bound the f!up one of them if I only bought 10.

6mm butyl seal received today too. All I need now is the lazy tong riveter and the get-up-and-go.... And the great british weather! As I'm doing this on the driveway at home.

• 1 month later...

Probably final update....

1) Butyl seal "should" work... But the amount of manipulation of the carrier to refit it means the job may become a sticky mess if any of it touches the door prematurely.

2) One moment's lack of care saw the 10mm socket used to tighten the window clips come off and fall into the newly rivetted door. :( D'oh!