How to: Retrofit Sat Nav MK2 Fabia

hutchysrs50

This full upgrade requires diagnostic coding, do so at your own risk etc...

Quite a popular upgrade but can be costly, prices range from around £150 to £600 depending what you want.

Skip this if you already know the basics....

The factory option in the mk2 Fabia is the RNS310 aka Amundsen they are around £150.

This changed to the RNS315 aka Amundsen+ plus, they are around £250 and can have DAB and Bluetooth, but not all of them.

An upgrade from other models is the RNS510 aka Columbus, they can have the option of DAB also but not all, prices are basically £250+

Now for the guide

As standard my car came with the swing radio, remove the trim,

it just unclips.

IMG_1943.jpg

Remove the four small torx screws, 2 per side of the radio.

IMG_1944.jpg

Then remove the storage compartment above the glovebox, undo two torx screws and pull out.

IMG_1945.jpg

Then stick your GPS aerial onto the metal frame that holds the dashboard in, just keep clear of the airbag.

IMG_1946.jpg

Then feed the wires down the back of the dashboard to match with all the other wiring looms.

IMG_1947.jpg

Plug in all the suitable wires and fit the satnav

IMG_1948.jpg

Refit the surround and storage compartment and that's it basically done, rest is done via diagnostics, I used VCDS. 

IMG_1951.jpg

Go into section 19 - canbus then select coding and tick navigation.

IMG_1963.jpg

Check the coding is correct and activated in the MFD menu. It should also display North/East/South/West in the top left of the display.

IMG_1967.jpg

And that's it, enjoy the satnav :)

IMG_1949.jpg

Edited by hutchysrs50
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Madmilligan said:

Love these mods particularly the sat navigation I so need this , but I don't have maxi dot how could I fit this too 

Will work fine without the maxi dot,have just done mine 

Will only display on the radio though 

I do have a maxidot sitting here to be fitted though,just need to get my finger out and get it done 

11 minutes ago, gizmo98 said:

Will work fine without the maxi dot,have just done mine 

Will only display on the radio though 

I do have a maxidot sitting here to be fitted though,just need to get my finger out and get it done 

How do you go about fitting it , I was in a 6r polo noticed looked the same shape and prefer they're maxi dot could this be fitted instead ?

1 hour ago, Madmilligan said:

How do you go about fitting it , I was in a 6r polo noticed looked the same shape and prefer they're maxi dot could this be fitted instead ?

Yep,can be retrofitted,just needs to be coded to your car (vcds won't do it)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not very good with this sort of thing but looks straightforward, I have 2011 Monte and wondered if it would work all the same? I've noticed I have different dials/gauges + trip display

Very silly question but I found a 315 that says it doesn't have DAB, does this mean I won't receive radio at all? Sorry if it's a stupid question! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/02/2017 at 21:31, hutchysrs50 said:

This full upgrade requires diagnostic coding, do so at your own risk etc...

Quite a popular upgrade but can be costly, prices range from around £150 to £600 depending what you want.

Skip this if you already know the basics....

The factory option in the mk2 Fabia is the RNS310 aka Amundsen they are around £150.

This changed to the RNS315 aka Amundsen+ plus, they are around £250 and can have DAB and Bluetooth, but not all of them.

An upgrade from other models is the RNS510 aka Columbus, they can have the option of DAB also but not all, prices are basically £250+

Now for the guide

As standard my car came with the swing radio, remove the trim,

it just unclips.

IMG_1943.jpg

Remove the four small torx screws, 2 per side of the radio.

IMG_1944.jpg

Then remove the storage compartment above the glovebox, undo two torx screws and pull out.

IMG_1945.jpg

Then stick your GPS aerial onto the metal frame that holds the dashboard in, just keep clear of the airbag.

IMG_1946.jpg

Then feed the wires down the back of the dashboard to match with all the other wiring looms.

IMG_1947.jpg

Plug in all the suitable wires and fit the satnav

IMG_1948.jpg

Refit the surround and storage compartment and that's it basically done, rest is done via diagnostics, I used VCDS. 

IMG_1951.jpg

Go into section 19 - canbus then select coding and tick navigation.

IMG_1963.jpg

Check the coding is correct and activated in the MFD menu. It should also display North/East/South/West in the top left of the display.

IMG_1967.jpg

And that's it, enjoy the satnav :)

IMG_1949.jpg

I already have sat nav but the smaller screen so would mine just swap straight out ?

• 8 months later...

If you have a Swing then your Bluetooth is fitted to the car. Fitting a Columbus will keep the Bluetooth and as long as it's a genuine Skoda (or VW) unit it should be compatible with the Columbus. The phone button is for using your Bluetooth on the Columbus.