2013 ASG driving advice??

EmND

Hello,

This is my first post here. I recently bought a 2013 Citigo SE ASG and am hoping someone else here has the same model and can help me with some driving advice! I used to have a smart car automatic and could use the brake to creep in traffic etc. I understand the ASG does not have this feature. However, how do I drive in traffic in order to avoid rolling back? Currently I keep my foot on the brake and then switch quickly to the accelerator when time to move but I always seem to roll back a bit first. Is this normal with this car? And what tips do people have please? Is it going to have to be a case of learning to just use my handbrake every single time I stop?! 

Another question - does anyone else's citigo vibrate quite a bit when idle and when turning off, shudder, or should I get this looked into?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Many thanks 

ASG is an automated manual transmission so you may need to use hand brake occasionally. 

It is 3 cylinder engine so it will vibrate. Nothing to worry about. Just enjoy. :)

Welcome.

You do not say how many miles the car has done, but is the service schedule / guidelines up top date, 

so Plugs changed if required and the air filter clean etc to have it running as it should.

An actual service history and invoices showing parts used in services.

Thanks all! Seems like the vibration bit is normal.

Any tips on the rolling back and how to best drive the car?

I bought it as an approved used, full skoda service history, MOT done in January 2017, 17,000 miles. 

Thanks 

Then no need to replace spark plugs or air filter.

It will vibrate like it's all over the place or engine bay. ;)

If going uphill just use hand brake if you need to stop. Just like manual transmission. 

I've had a citigo ASG for 4 years and just recently sold it on to someone like yourself who had a smart car.

Your new  citigo  should have " hill assist"

My car was 2012 model and hill assist was standard so your car should have it as well

.when you stop at lights, junction, etc on a incline just hold the car on the footbrake.

When you want to move on just lift your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold position for a couple of seconds allowing you to get on the accelerator thus letting you move off without any rollback.

You will soon get used to it.

Really useful when parked on a incline with another vehicle close behind.

Happy motoring with your new purchase.

Edited by aernala
extra text

1 hour ago, aernala said:

I've had a citigo ASG for 4 years and just recently sold it on to someone like yourself who had a smart car.

Your new  citigo  should have " hill assist"

My car was 2012 model and hill assist was standard so your car should have it as well

.when you stop at lights, junction, etc on a incline just hold the car on the footbrake.

When you want to move on just lift your foot off the brake pedal and the car will hold position for a couple of seconds allowing you to get on the accelerator thus letting you move off without any rollback.

You will soon get used to it.

Really useful when parked on a incline with another vehicle close behind.

Happy motoring with your new purchase.

Thank you!

Does the brake have to be fully pressed like as far as it will go to trigger this feature? As I think that might be where I was going wrong, if so. I need to have more of a play! 

I thought that hill assist came later, but then again I might be wrong as I have never owned ASG. But, I see no real problem, because you can always use your left foot too if needed. 

2 hours ago, Emil said:

I thought that hill assist came later, but then again I might be wrong as I have never owned ASG. But, I see no real problem, because you can always use your left foot too if needed. 

Not if you don't have a left foot, a very good reason for having an automatic.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Citigouk said:

The ASG gearbox is not Automatic........ its Automated....... like Smart and other brands

Okay. Pedantic corner.

Yes, the correct term is automated but to ordinary people like me , if I don't need to change gear manually it's an automatic.

Pedantic or not...... the automated box isn't blessed with 'crawl' like a traditional mechanical automatic gearbox..... so its Automated in its changes and capacbility :) 

The ASG is more accomplished than many people write and these people are just used to Automatic gearbox's... one of the mains you read negative posts 

'Robotised' even as they say with the Automated Manual on the latest Suzuki Ignis.

?

What is more accomplished about a UP!MiiCitigo ASG?  Just one redeeming feature that has this creation standing above the Ford Durashift?

Accomplishments on the ASG are really down to the driving .... as its been given shorter ratio's than the tall manuals its more nippy and in town and makes more use of the brilliant 3pot engine as its mated to the 75ps tune... not knocking the manual in anyway as its a fine drive.

Again, when at motorway speeds (Autobahns) its easy to push the throttle and build higher oomph as (i believe) 4th is impressive for being slightly longer allowing easier controller speeds and ability to reach v-max :)

On 03/04/2017 at 15:32, Awayoffski said:

What is more accomplished about a UP!MiiCitigo ASG?  Just one redeeming feature that has this creation standing above the Ford Durashift?

Howabout, no class action lawsuits against the ASG for a starter?

My uncle had two B-Max with DuraShift transmissions. After persistently failing to fix the DuraShift drivability issues with the first one Ford replaced it with a brand new car. When the second one failed in the same way Ford gave him a full refund.

Was there a Class Action, and what was the outcome?

My Durashift Transit was one of the first Demonstrators that were taken back in and scrapped and a new Actuator then got used on Production models.

The one i bought had slipped through though as the Main Dealer had sold it early.

Only years later did i find the truth on what Ford had done.

No class action on the ASG because they are not faulty just a very poor product for the now biggest manufacturer in the world of cars to have sold.

But then Toyota, Ford and Mercedes have made stinkers at various times as have Honda.

Class actions started in the USA and Canada a while ago and I believe they are about to start one in NZ, unless it has already started.

Apparently the dry clutch version used in the Fiesta uses mechanical actuators rather than the hydraulics used in the larger wet clutch version. That sounds suspiciously similar to a robotised manual gearbox to me ...

My 2001 Transit was an Automated Manual / Durashift,  the disabled owner i bought it from had spent £2,700 at the maindealer she bought it from getting diagnostics done and they kept blaming the hand control conversion she had fitted, the hand throttle was an issue because even off the throttle there could be some braking, and a blown rear bulb could put it into limp mode.

I bought it cheap considering the conversion with windows and the original price & knowing there could be an issue & ended up spending over £2,000 including getting an Actuator from Germany which was when i discovered that they were superseded with a Upgrade. £1,100 on that part.

Still played up & twice needed recovered long distances on a flatbed, so i sold it needing repairs and the guy that bought it found a new gearbox still in the crate for £800 and was sorted.

He had looked all over the UK for one so decided buying one cheap that needed fixing was better than buying expensive and then getting a lemon.

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 weeks later...

You should only use your right foot in an auto.

Your left foot should just sit and do nothing. Unless of course you have some medical reason to use the other foot but believe you would need some kind of special permission etc.

To the OP. If your car does not have hill hold then you will need to either be quicker to get onto the throttle or use the handbrake.

Just a point on 1 foot driving Automatics for those with 2 feet or those with one.

With only 1 foot the DVLA are most likely to be informed, but if like me you have no right foot you do not need any conversion if you do not want.

I never have converted cars since various incidents where others messed up getting in Automatics with non standard throttle pedals or Dual Pedals.

If someone with 2 feet wants to use brake and throttle with the standard set up and their left foot nobody is stopping them,

if they want to fit a throttle pedal to the left of the brake or a flip pedal that can be on the right or left of the brake then that is simple 

and is between you and your insurer, as are hand controls or various other adaptions.

As to 2 foot driving of Automatics and Automated Manuals that is often not an issue, and then with other vehicles it can be depending on boxes and engine management and the time power can be cut with braking or delays between brake and throttle, even with some VW Group performance models with DSG's.