Where to buy complete RHD steering rack (non-pas)?

Anyone know where to get a complete steering rack/gear for a non pas, RHD UK felicia?

I have a fair amount of play in the inner tie rod near side and offside is not as bad but not great. I believe i need the complete rack instead of just the tie rods themselves, but the only ones I can find are for LHD vehicles.

Or is there a way I can repair my current one? 

Surely I cant be the only one with this problem?

I have one that I removed from my pick-up when I fitted PAS. I cannot claim to have checked it for play, but I certainly never noticed when I was driving the pick-up with this fitted, and it would only have done ~70k miles. If you are interested, you can have it if you collect it (West Sussex), or I can meet you part-way for a contribution towards my fuel.

They are still available to order from VW apparently. These racks are pretty serviceable though if you can get a hold of the bits you need.

Ricardo has written a very (as you can imagine) in-depth guide to restoring one of these racks. If you ask him nicely he might allow you to see it.

On 2/19/2017 at 23:29, Jeggo said:

I believe i need the complete rack instead of just the tie rods themselves.

What evidence you got for that?

Previous MOT results have had advisories stating play in steering rack in inner joints. I can also grab the tie rods from under the bonnet and feel the play closer to the middle rather than at the ends. I assumed that changing just tie rod ends would not help. 

Also the car is on 175,000 miles so I expect it to be wearing in other places instead of the obvious ones

On 20/02/2017 at 13:01, Bete Noir said:

I have one that I removed from my pick-up when I fitted PAS. I cannot claim to have checked it for play, but I certainly never noticed when I was driving the pick-up with this fitted, and it would only have done ~70k miles. If you are interested, you can have it if you collect it (West Sussex), or I can meet you part-way for a contribution towards my fuel.

I might have to take you up on this offer but we'll see if I can restore the rack I already have. Thanks!

54 minutes ago, Jeggo said:

I can also grab the tie rods from under the bonnet and feel the play closer to the middle rather than at the ends.

Well, of course you feel the play closer to the middle (towards the rack). It is on that side the joint of the inner tie rod... see photo below.

ARiL5mq.jpg

As for the mileage of your car, the steering rack and the pinion are made of forged steel. So long as there is grease between them, they're very tough to wear. See photo below.

So my advice is to change both inner tie rods and you'll be fine.

TO7Z759.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone know who may read this in the future. I replaced tie/track rods and ends with FAI ones and my issues are resolved, no more wheel shake. Fairly easy job but involves a track rod tool and ball joint splitter but is not bad for the humble driveway mechanic.

You can do the tracking yourself with axle stands and string and be accurate. I got mine checked at my trusted tyre place with the laser tool and it was only minutely out, they said it wouldn't be worth them doing it so have faith in yourself! 

• Like 1