Octavia Vrs Mk1 Choosing the suspension

Sean9090

Hi all this is my first post I've just joined. I'm new to briskoda.:biggrin:

I have just bought a vrs and would like to better the car with a nicer suspension setup and would like to know the best cheap mods I can do on the car like a remap etc.

My question is that I'm looking to make the car sit better and I bought prosport coil overs and had them fitted. The car looked ridiculous and squashed so I put the originals back in. They were 35mm I think. I want the car to sit like this and not sure what height this would be but hoping somebody has a clue.

It almost looks standard but just sits perfect.. What suspension do I need ?

Cheers. Sean.

Screenshot_20161123-004550.png

Screenshot_20161122-174856.png

Screenshot_20161122-174913.png

Edited by Sean9090

Remember the VRS sits lower than a standard octavia anyway, I think by 15mm but I can't remember.

I have Weitec Hicon GTs on mine fitted by previous owner, they are great on good roads but clamped down far too hard for any sort of roughness (I need to adjust them). On my previous diesel I put Koni Sport shocks with -35mm eibach springs and it made the car a lot nicer to drive.

• Like 1

Hi yesIamtom, thank you for the reply, Do you happen to have any pictures of your car with the suspension fitted ? I'm not really looking for the car to handle better, more for it to look nicer sat. It looks a bit high standard even though it's lower than a standard octavia. I want it just like in the pictures. What mm would that be?

Thanks.

Sean.

I did, they were on the highest setting and it still looked like an invisible sumo wrestler was sitting on top of my car. It was squashed looking and ridiculous lol. 

The rear suspension also sat lower than the front despite all being on the highest thread. Looked stupid and too low

Can anyone please tell me what the suspension setup on the car in the pictures would be and the recommended ones to buy please?

Thanks for all who reply.

Sean

Edited by Sean9090

my car is currently sat low at the front and a bit high at the back, again product of a previous owner not me so a picture would look stupid and embarressing :blush

Your prosports might have been for a mk4 golf, the octavia has a heavier bum than the golf and golf springs make it sit very low and handle badly.

• Like 1

/\ this.... mk4 golf shocks fit a mk1 octavia but arent the right load rating with the salon being a heavier fat arse than its uncle's hatch back..

Gets posted so frequently... its a balls... im not even 100% that the shicks i got for the back my old diesel were actually the correct ones ..

I've got a similar situation. Seemingly prosports, and other cheaper coilovers, are generally poor on these cars. 

I'm going for Koni Street Suspension. Comes with 20mm H&R lowering springs. Costs £400 for the whole lot. 

H&R are the only company that make VRS specific lowering springs. 

The best coilover setup from my research is the KW set ups. You get K1, K2,  or K3s. I never read about them as I didn't fancy coilovers, a search on this forum should bring results though. A set of K1s are around £750.

27 minutes ago, Girardi said:

Is that the STR.T kit? Been looking at that for ages...

Yeah, seen it on the Larkspeed website. Seems the best option for a "budget" and a few threads on here have recommended them. 

16 hours ago, Saints92 said:

Yeah, seen it on the Larkspeed website. Seems the best option for a "budget" and a few threads on here have recommended them. 

Are you getting them fitted soon? Can you post pictures??

I take it they will sit like the vrs in the pictures. Mine sat low and looked really stupid. Has anyone had their vrs mapped yet? I'm looking at getting mine mapped.. I put a Pipercross panel filter in mine and it's getting terrible mpg.. I get around 20s and less unless I drive light footed and I'd get maybe 30 but that's really being light. Doesn't seem right. I'm actually putting the original back in to see if it goes back and it's not a vacuum leak. 

Anyone had theirs mapped yet? I got a quote from revo for 360 for a stage 1? that's around 210bhp.

Edited by Sean9090

8 hours ago, Sean9090 said:

Are you getting them fitted soon? Can you post pictures??

I'll be fitting them next month, as my MOTs due and I'll need them for it. Not sure how it'll sit yet, advertised as a 20mm drop. 

1 hour ago, Saints92 said:

I'll be fitting them next month, as my MOTs due and I'll need them for it. Not sure how it'll sit yet, advertised as a 20mm drop. 

Post some pictures of her once you have them fitted so I can see how she sits :tongueout: 

Bet they will look good :)

On Tue Feb 21 2017 at 23:43, Sean9090 said:

Post some pictures of her once you have them fitted so I can see how she sits :tongueout: 

Bet they will look good :)

On Tue Feb 21 2017 at 21:51, Saints92 said:

have u got them fitted yet?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2017 at 14:33, Sean9090 said:

well are they on ur car ?

Afraid not, work at a garage so been waiting on a ramp to be free for a few hours. Have it planned with my boss for tomorrow 

That's the front arch gap, straight after fitting them and lowering the ramp. Expecting it to settle another mm or two after a few days driving. 

Don't know if that's any help to you? 

I can take a full car shot next week if it looks like it's settled in any further. 

Edited by Saints92

25 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

DSC_0116.JPG

That looks great, yeah can you take a picture of the whole car to see how she sits at the back also? So it will lower even more once the springs are (broke in) ?

Its looks sweet. Yes keep us posted mate. Any other mods?

Edited by Sean9090

15 hours ago, Liverpool-Lad said:

Hows the ride quality vs standard?

I'm not sure, tbh. Beforehand the wishbone bushes and struts have been worn, and I've changed literally everything in each corner, so I'm not sure how much effect the springs alone have had. Its definitely a bit stiffer, but I cant say its uncomfortable. Felt a bit tighter going around corners, but again, that might not just be the new springs.

15 hours ago, Sean9090 said:

That looks great, yeah can you take a picture of the whole car to see how she sits at the back also? So it will lower even more once the springs are (broke in) ?

Its looks sweet. Yes keep us posted mate. Any other mods?

I'll try and take a full car photo, biggest problem is I only have a self facing camera on my phone (the normal one broke when I stood on it). I've got a photo of the back I took at the same time but its apparently too big a file size to upload.

Edited by Saints92
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saints92 said:

DSC_0118.JPG

Don't know if this photos shows enough to help you decide if it's what you want. Done about 20 miles since fitting everything. 

Hey that looks great so what springs are in your car then what make are they?  The Koni street suspension 20mm?