Sportline grill

I mentioned this to the sale manager whose car I am now driving. He was appalled, but I thought I'd throw it out there to the general (Sportline owning) public.

The grill seems a bit austere to me. I wondered what would happen if you took a Superb grill and painted the surround gloss black (like the Sportline) but left the chrome vertical highlights alone. I've done a very rough comp to show what I mean. Opinions?

Sportline grill1.JPG

Sportline grill.JPG

Edited by freelunch

Leave it standard all black, looks much better that way to me. That's part of the appeal of the Sportline model - no bling!.

• Like 1

Black.  I Think it looks great, especially with Corrida red. If I could change anything in the Sportline it would be the awful 'carbon' interior trim.  Looks like someone covered the dash in adhesive and ram raided Halfords. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, freelunch said:

I mentioned this to the sale manager whose car I am now driving. He was appalled, but I thought I'd throw it out there to the general (Sportline owning) public.

The grill seems a bit austere to me. I wondered what would happen if you took a Superb grill and painted the surround gloss black (like the Sportline) but left the chrome vertical highlights alone. I've done a very rough comp to show what I mean. Opinions?

Sportline grill1.JPG

Sportline grill.JPG

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :(

For all you sceptics out there, I've arranged to buy micloi's spare grill. You'll all be eating your words when you see what a fabulous design enhancement this will be.

I hope. :biggrin:

• Like 1

On a non Sportline, I actually prefer the black grille - especially as mine is Corrida Red.

You can let me have your grille once you've butchered micloi's :D 

Edited by Coops

No butchering required: you just swap over the grill and radar centre piece and keep the original grill frame. Which is just as well, as I may want to swap right back. Trouble is, having just had a look under the bonnet, it doesn't look as easy a task as I thought it would be. Hmmm... modern cars.

So, can anyone direct me to a grill replacement guide? Cheers!

Apologies to micloi and interested parties, but this project has died a death. The dealer mentioned £105/hour and radar recalibration, and that was enough for me to drop what was probably a bad idea in the first place. A half-hour job and straight swop became a major drama, so I'm going to spend the money on a very nice meal for two, instead.

Modern cars! Bah!

• Like 2

Just for the record no radar recalibration is needed, I changed mine just fine. The dealer either misunderstood or was trying to be pedantic. Not that it matters in this case, just so people that may want to do something similar in the future are not discouraged :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that! The grill and the headlights compliment each other. You have to understand, I didn't choose the Sportline, it chose me. If I specced a car from scratch, I'd have probably gone for the L&K 280 4X4 DSG. But, I'm a sucker for a bargain. And the Sportline is growing on me.

• Like 1

If you decide to change it your dealer should be able to do it in 1 hour, since i did it in 30min without removing the front bumper :P 

I love the look of the Sporline, since the car just looks even more special and not like the classic Saloon or Estate as the L&K. Also works better with my Laser White Color, that i have on both Superbs that i owned. Its just a clear pure white, other then the yellowish Candy white and the darker / smoked Moon White 

Came across this yesterday.

What are peoples thoughts??

If i am honest i am not a big fan but you can see it in this video he has used black surround part on grill and chrome bit in middle?? not seen this before??

don't have a clue what he is saying but i think he likes lol

Edited by flogdnaloop

23 minutes ago, flogdnaloop said:

Came across this yesterday.

What are peoples thoughts??

If i am honest i am not a big fan but you can see it in this video he has used black surround part on grill and chrome bit in middle?? not seen this before??

don't have a clue what he is saying but i think he likes lol

Are you really kidding me? I just posted a Picture 2 posts back... 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 19:03, Blindek said:

Heres my ex. 2015 S3 L&K with just that what you wanted to do. The Grill frame costs <100€ 

Have a 2017 Sportline now and like it even more :P 

20170123_144032.jpg

vergleich1.jpg

this looks cool :-)

like it in white, i pick up a quartz grey in a couple weeks, will look into this, was it easy to fit???

Define easy :) Its not hard, just a few screws and some good tools since the screws are a bit hidden. At the end you have to pull the whole grill out and then separate the frame with the inside. Its just clipped together but it holds tight.

On the German Skoda forum there is a Manual how to do it, but in German :)  

3 minutes ago, Blindek said:

Define easy :) Its not hard, just a few screws and some good tools since the screws are a bit hidden. At the end you have to pull the whole grill out and then separate the frame with the inside. Its just clipped together but it holds tight.

On the German Skoda forum there is a Manual how to do it, but in German :)  

Well I am an IT engineer not a mechanic lol.

but guess I could do it. Will have a look for the manual if I decide

to do it.

still unsure :-)

cheers for reply though.

• 1 month later...

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to post this query just didn't want to start a new thread for a general query.

I configured a superb sportline on both Irish and uk skoda websites today and getting the below result which highlights an original grille on the sportline spec. I presume this is an error on the configurator and not a change in design?

Cheers.

Screenshot_20170425-124013.png

You presume correctly. Still, odd to see the black trim around the windows, but not the blackout grill...

(I can't believe that my moaning about the Sportline grill would make Škoda change their spec!