Tyre change strategy for leased car

D402

Hi, I'm one year and 15k miles through a two year lease of my Superb III and wondering how to get the best out of the tyres.

If I swap front to rear now, I should get to the end of the lease with all four tyres just legal never having to replace a tyre on the car while it's in my hands.  This runs the risk of having to replace all four right at the end though!

Alternatively, I could replace the fronts when they wear out and then be confident of getting to the end of the lease having bought just the two new tyres.

Any thoughts from more experienced lease car users?

Cheers,

Simon

I would replace the fronts as not only will that mean you wont take the gamble with having to change all four later, but there is also a question of your own safety and those around you if you are trying to get the last mm out of them.

That depends mostly on if you are the kind of person who lets your tyres wear down to 1.6mm before changing them :)

A more valid reason is so the rears don't perish from age because they don't wear out near as quickly. New ones go on the rear and the old rears go on the front to be worn down and replaced.

• 9 months later...

The original tyres have lasted much better than I expected and the fronts still have about 3mm left at 25k miles.  I've decided to return the car a couple of months thanks to a good offer on an in-stock car from a local dealer; this has the additional benefit of avoiding any tyre costs.

I'll definitely be rotating fronts and rears after a year on the new one to avoid end-of-lease anxiety.

• Like 1

I've bought new 4 tyres (CrossClimates) at 2k miles on my 3 year lease.

My idea is that I'll probably need new tyres during the lease period and if I'm not careful, I'll put them on just before I hand it back - giving some lucky mug new tyres that I've paid for.  Also, we will be driving to the alps each year and I wanted a 4 season tyre.

I've kept the original Pirelli P7 trash in the garage.  In March 2020 The Space Year 2020, I'll pop those back on for the last 6 months and then hand it back.