Renewal quote...

Rustynuts

The most comparable quote was with Axa at £267.

There were others which were cheaper but had less cover such as windscreens and what have you. Surprisingly, Churchills were over £100 less than yours and included breakdown cover, but I've suffered Churchills before and won't be doing that again (or Esure for that matter).

14 hours ago, mikeholroyd said:

I would love someone to explain to me why an insurance renewal figure can be given, followed by an offer to "see what we can do" as soon as the customer says they are not competitive.

If a lower price can be given if someone asks for it, then why can't that lower figure just be given in the first place - too many folk are happy to blindly accept the figure given to them first off, and the only winners here, and they are BIG winners, are the insurance companies themselves.

Sorry, but I gave up with Chris Knott a couple of years ago, the renewal figures given were way off the scale

The way I look at it now with the same experience with insurers in general when it comes to renewals, is that the more lemmings that just accept the renewal the better and then they have more room to haggle with thrifty customers like me. I generally get the best overall deal each year, then renewal from them is double the price with others still hovering around last years price. It's getting harder to think who I haven't been insured by these days than listing the companies I have used lol.  

• Like 1

^^^ I keep going round them all, been with some twice now amd will continue to "do the rounds" because that's what they cause you to do.

Now one company I said I would never go with because of their persistantly bombarding me with letters for car insurance I have now taken a policy with them. Since doing that SAGA haven't sent me another letter, they have wore me down and now given up sending the trash, oh I gave up first:D Anyway it was the best quote out there like for like for what I had before.

Back to the subject, I do wonder why and haven't really had a straight forward answer from any, why can't you give me your best price straight off?

I suppose the simple answer is, you might be the mug that pays it, no questions asked.

• Sponsor

Hi, this question does keep coming up and it's a fair question.

The answer is simply that we have the insurers' authority to quote what we need to in order to win or retain car club member business. 

If you have already had a quote elsewhere it doesn't matter what our screen rate is or what the existing insurer is inviting at - we need to respond to your best quote to win/retain the business (assuming that it's a case we want to accept based on the risk). That's why we ask what your best quote is and rate accordingly. It works in your favour to get you the best deal. It also works for the insurers on the panel as they get safer car club members on their books.

As brokers we don't have access to the full market so we sometimes need you to tell us about the rates out there that we don't know about. Our expertise is in using this to get you the best deal.

Caveats
It works for many people but for some it doesn't as we're not prepared to compete with every single quote due to the risk. Every case has a quote floor that we won't go below as we need to keep the whole account in profit for the insurers or we lose the facility altogether.

I hope this answers the question sufficiently? We're not so much giving you OUR quote as working the system to get you a better deal.

On 24/02/2017 at 21:16, mikeholroyd said:

I would love someone to explain to me why an insurance renewal figure can be given, followed by an offer to "see what we can do" as soon as the customer says they are not competitive.

If a lower price can be given if someone asks for it, then why can't that lower figure just be given in the first place - too many folk are happy to blindly accept the figure given to them first off, and the only winners here, and they are BIG winners, are the insurance companies themselves.

Sorry, but I gave up with Chris Knott a couple of years ago, the renewal figures given were way off the scale

I had the same problem with stupid high renewal figures that as soon as you told them you could get it cheaper they would magically match the price with a proof of quote. Last time I spoke to Chris Knott I had to deal with one of the rudest persons I've had the misfortune of talking to and wondered why I was doing all the donkey work and being spoken to in this manner. I went to Admiral who have been consistently cheaper, more professional and also when it comes to renewal none of the jumping through hoops to to get a better price. It's like they actually want to keep your business unlike Chris Knott.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, left CK this year as a result of there being no room for improvement on the cost of the policy. Insured with Axa on a comparable policy for about £160 less than renewal. Maybe next year, when Axa start making up numbers for their renewal. However, we have the Yeti to reinsure in a couple of months time, so we're probably going to do this again I reckon.