Vrs potential head lift

Mark05

Think I may have head lift, pd150 bolts but after really hard driving I'm loosing coolant from the overflow on the header tank. Header isn't genuine vw not sure if this makes any difference.

any ideas

mark 

Edited by Mark05

31 minutes ago, Mark05 said:

Do you think I'll get away with just doing gasket as it's fine it not constantly driven hard

What do you even mean? Do it properly or don't bother, what's the point of cutting corners if the heads coming off? Have it licked flat, replace the gasket, replace the bolts, replace the cambelt and pulleys if due. Job jobbed.

It's getting fully done with belts etc etc, didn't think you could skim the head it's already on the 3 hole gasket which is the thickest one if I'm not mistaken. I was only asking the question I'm happy to buy a new head if I have to, this is just a toy for a bit of fun 

2 minutes ago, Mark05 said:

It's getting fully done with belts etc etc, didn't think you could skim the head it's already on the 3 hole gasket which is the thickest one if I'm not mistaken. I was only asking the question I'm happy to buy a new head if I have to, this is just a toy for a bit of fun 

Gasket thickness is for piston protrusion from the block, nothing to do with the head at all.

• Like 1

Do the job properly, once the gasket leaks - it'll leak eventually. From what I've read, the PD150 bolts or retightening is just a temporary solution.

I've done the full gasket, skimming, injector reseating, job done and the car's been perfect since (and got an extra - much quieter engine (injector reseating)).

It got so bad that with me that even a few seconds of hard acceleration the coolant would flush out the overflow... But you could gently drive it for miles without a drop leaking.

1 hour ago, corndog said:

Can you fit the pd150bolts without replacing the head gasket?

I only want them as a precautionary for when I put a slightly bigger turbo on.

Only if you don't already have head lift symptoms, if you do then the gaskets blown already.

• Like 1