Kenwood navigation upgrade - anyone got it yet?

TDIum

Was in the stealers this week and once again looked at promotional material for the Kenwood navigation upgrade. 

I have a MIB1 Bolero in my Mk3 Octavia and am interested in two things: Firstly I'd like to be able to improve sound quality, and secondly built-in satnav would be useful (nut not essential to me). 

Has anyone got the Kenwood upgrade yet, and if so what are your impressions? 

Does it replace the audio units or are these unchanged - in other words, what does the Kenwood upgrade involve in terms of hardware/software?

Thanks

This consists of an add on module, that gets installed inline with the OE systems wiring, allowing for the navigation to be displayed back to the OE display. So all your original equipment will remain intact.
You'll have no additional sound improvement, as nothing is changing with regards to this, it will just add navigation to the original unit. They are good options, if your happy with the original equipment, but lack the navigation, and of course Kenwood use Garmin, which is a pretty solid navigation system, I work for Pioneer, and we do similar add ons, but use different mapping providers. Just to throw a wild card into the mix, depending on your budgets, you have alternative options to replace the original equipment itself, in which you'd gain functionality and audio improvements on top of the navigation bits

for example http://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/avic-evo1-oc1-mtb

All depends on the key functions for you really, if its just the nav, then you cant really go wrong with the Kenwood upgrade

Hi Mike

Yes I have seen your other threads on this subject and may well be interested in the Pioneer unit. Thanks for the info and link. TBH if that's all the Kenwood does then it's not for me. 

Edited by TDIum
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone tell me if the antenna for the kenwood upgrade is put on top of the dash? would ahte to see an ugly black box on top of the dash?

Also how much are you looking at for that pioneer unit including fitting?

38 minutes ago, Newson said:

Hi, can anyone tell me if the antenna for the kenwood upgrade is put on top of the dash? would ahte to see an ugly black box on top of the dash?

Also how much are you looking at for that pioneer unit including fitting?

As long as there is no thick metal between the GPS and the sky, then it can go behind the dash, just make sure there isn't too much electrical equipment above it, as it could affect the signal.

It depends on the dealer and their fitting charge, but i'd imagine you'd be looking at somewhere around £1000/£1100 Maybe cheaper in some places though.

• 7 months later...