P2106 code / throttle actuator control

lloydy123

Just wondering if anybody has come across a similar problem to this before. My 2008 Octavia VRS TFSI with 140,000 miles had been driving 100% until a few seconds after going over a bump in the road. The EPC light, engine light and ESP lights came on putting the car in to a limp home mode - it sounds rough at tick over, like it is running on 3 cylinders. I plugged in my OBD2 reader and got the codes P2101 and P2106. i.e. throttle actuator control. After letting it sit for an hour and disconnecting the battery the codes cleared and it drove 100% again for 200 miles but the problem has recurred.

I have brought it to my local skoda garage who confirmed the throttle actuator control code. The difficulty is that the live data from the throttle body is all perfect so they are at a loss as to what could be causing it. I asked the mechanic and they have never seen an issue like this before. Has anybody here come across a similar issue?

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've now solved the issue for my car.  The throttle body was replaced which appeared to solve the issue for a couple of weeks, where after it came back.  My local auto electrician traced the fault back to corroded pins on the ecu plug.  A quick cleaning with some special liquid and plug back in has resulted in the faults disappearing and the car back to full power. It appears that the location of the ECU under the the windshield wipers is a common theme through all German cars.  To me with something like an ECU, common sense would suggest that the best location would be inboard as it is on most Japanese models.  Saying that , all the car has needed in 110,000 apart from consumables is 2 cv boots so I can't really complain.