Revised 2017 Rapid

AJR77

Even on the My16 version, its a 3.5mm jack and a USB connection... The USB will play music directly from a usb stick  music and navigate folders. 

On an android or apple product, You can skip track, pause and play.

If you enable Smartlink you can also have apple carplay or Android auto (plus mirror link.)

Or you can also just bluetooth and use the USB to charge .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

The MDI is a piece of p00. Only Chris on here seems to have got it to work properly. I gave up and stuck a big SD card in the dash slot instead.

I've got the old MDI system in my 2016 Audi and I only really use it to charge my iPod Touch (6th Generation) .

To play music I use the Audi MMI Connect software that connects via Wi-Fi.

Neither system is particularly great.

I find the navigation of albums is very distracting whilst driving. But this is down to the radio rather than the way the iPod is connected.

Wi-Fi Pros

The Wi-Fi method allows internet radio to be controlled and played through the radio. I don't understand my it needs an external device to do this.

It offers album art on all tracks on the iPod.

Wi-Fi Cons

The iPod will randomly disconnect from the car. So I can't manually reconnect the iPod whilst driving.

Can't play audio strait from the iPod though the car's speakers such as Spotify or YouTube.

MDI  Pros 

Can play back any audio that is being played on the iPod though the car's speakers.

Does not randomly disconnect from iPod while it is being used.

MDI Cons

Not all album art is displayed on the radio.

Limited integration with the radio as it only allows control of scrolling though files stored on the iPod.

I haven't used Apple Carplay or Android Auto so it would be interesting how well it works in the Rapid now its been rolled out across the VW range.

53 minutes ago, umbral said:

When will this new 2017 facelift will come to shops ?

Is it a 2017 or 2018 model ?

What is the month from when they decide it is a next year model ?

Usually production changes around week 22 or 23 (mid May), so that means new style cars arrive from late June.  Cars in second half of year are next year (2018) spec.  There is a period when old spec cars in stock overlap with new factory orders.

Remember the brochure always has disclaimer, subject to changes in spec.

• 3 months later...

Just drove a 1.0TSi SE Sport. Very nice, it was too and loved the glass roof, but next door at the same dealer group they have Toledo 1.0TSi Excellence for 1000's less with more kit and a nicer interior - so I bought that instead, having found the triple less offensive than most I've tried.

It's 2014 all over again when I chose the posher but cheaper Toledo SE over the sparsely equipped and more expensive original Rapid Sport.

• 4 years later...