Getting The Ultimate Quit Notice.

fordfan

The description for this forum is:

'Discuss the meaning of life, or looking for advice on an issue? Here you are taken seriously. No off topic!'

I'm going to turn this on it's head a bit and ask what you would do if you were given a 6 to 12 month timescale on your impending demise?

I'd do as much as I could to see and do all those things I wanted to do but never could due to restriction (x). Even if it meant lying on forms to get the credit to do so (as long as that debt couldn't be passed on). The motto YOLO. Sometimes you have to go with it.

• Like 4

• Administrators

We'd try and do the stuff we wanted to do, we/I interchangeable. Say our words ahead of time, then crack on, once we left the UK, situation willing, we'd not be coming back.

I've been talking about this with SWMBO. She feels knowing is as good as it can be in this situation, better, than not. But we can't agree, the above is the closest to a consensus that we got to.

I know it would not be doing one more thing I didn't have/want to do, again situation dependent. 

13 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Even if it meant lying on forms to get the credit to do so

I think tons of people live like that anyway, Lee.

Being in debt seems to be the norm nowadays, and a lot of people think it is quite acceptable and don't give a stuff about paying it back either.

Me excluded, although sometimes I wish that I too didn't give a stuff.

If I knew my time was soon to be up then these values would go out the window.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

Really, if you get notice the reality would be that you'll probably be too unwell to do the things on your bucket list.

I listed to the journalist chap on radio 4 that had terminal cancer. He died just this week. One of his comments about this sort of thing was that you take more pleasure in small things. Seeing your family, walking the dog, having a pint with a mate. Have a holiday but maybe not 'the' holiday.

Steve Hewlett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39027583

Reckon I might resign from work and renege on my notice period commitments (but the chances are I'd be off sick anyway I guess).

Then, as far as possible within the limitations of what Aspman pointed out:

Go skiing for a fortnight.

Go somewhere warm/nice after that for a fortnight.

Research somewhere on the planet that has good access to skiing, sailing and paragliding. Go there forever, taking the missus and dog if they'll come along.

Paraglide firmly into terrain on my chosen last day.

Pretty selfish, I guess. :blush

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don't really have a bucket list, well apart from fly a spitfire, a chipmunk doesn't really count.

Then my last act was to solo the north face of the eiger. If I make it, great, I'd be buggered enough to watch the sunset and not get up again. But as pointed out by my mother-in-law, I'm not fit enough to do it now, let alone in a scenario like this. 

So yes to the beer with your mates. Rebuilding that engine one more time anything like that.

@Wino I tried paragliding once, scared the hell out of me. maybe I'd try it a second time, soaring over the alps sounds like a nice last day out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I don't really have a bucket list, well apart from fly a spitfire, a chipmunk doesn't really count.

You dare disrespect the mighty Chippy :angry:

I'd love to do a load of crazy stuff but in reality I'd probably carry on working and paying the bills, I'd try to somehow make sure my family are supported. I'd make a video to my kids trying to give them as much advise as I can about life. I'd stop stressing about work and think, f uck it, I'm leaving soon. I'd stop watching TV or using internet forums and spend all my free time with my family. 

If money was no object I'd pack up and travel the globe but I guess I'd do that anyway if I could.

Again so sorry to hear this. 

Do whatever is on your bucket lost as soon as you can. 

Unfortunately you never know how long you have, or for how long you will be able to remain active to do it. 

Don't most life insurance policies will pay out in advance when there is a terminal diagnosis? 

It's definitely time for you to make the most of every moment and try to fill those moments with only joy and memories. 

20 hours ago, LHVRS said:

I'd love to do a load of crazy stuff but in reality I'd probably carry on working and paying the bills,

That's what insurance is for. Critical illness cover would pay out in those circumstances so you can quit and do what you want while you can.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aspman said:

That's what insurance is for. Critical illness cover would pay out in those circumstances so you can quit and do what you want while you can.

More by luck than advanced planning, when I took my mortgage out in 2001 I was advised to take a policy out on it, the cover of which diminishes with your mortgage - this has actually paid out, so I will be mortgage free shortly.

As an added bonus it looks like my pension will be paying a lump sum on a few weeks.

These were just things that appeared as regular entries on my bank statements, without me comprehending how useful they will be.

I looked into the Personal Independence Payments (first time ever that i have attempted to claim a benefit) from the DWP.  That has been accepted and they have declared me disabled with the higher rate of mobility allowance, I did inform them that I didn't meet their  criteria for the higher rate, yet they phoned back to tell me that I did as they say that the treatment will affect me.

I've now got a Motability car ordered and have had my Blue Badge application accepted.

My employer is 100% behind me and I can have as much time off as I want.

It would seem that the only limitations are my physical ability to do things and that my immune system will be very weak for weeks at a time after the Chemotherapy.

Quite simply spend as much time with my family as possible.

No point doing a bucket list, you won't remember it! But spending time and creating memories with those who will be left behind is more important IMO.

I lost my Dad 12 months ago (last Wednesday) and only have one regret - he never got to see my lads play rugby. I had the opportunity to do it but for whatever reason it didn't happen. The weekend I had planned for him to come and see them play close to my parents house, he suffered a stroke and never recovered.

Life is too short.

• Like 2

I'd cancel my impending retirement and stay on at work till I croak.

SWMBO will benefit by a minimum of 4 times my salary if I die whilst still employed by this lot, but rather less if I retire first.

Edited by camelspyyder

11 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

I'd cancel my impending retirement and stay on at work till I croak.

SWMBO will benefit by a minimum of 4 times my salary if I die whilst still employed by this lot, but rather less if I retire first.

I wouldn't be spending my limited time working that's for certain 

• Like 1

Here it is "Uncoded".

All I said, in slightly more words, is that, IMHO, bucket lists are yet another con of the modern age. IMHO, it just pandering to (And perhaps exploiting) petty bourgouise egotism  - as if, a final self-indulgence, is going to count for anything above and beyond.

Sorry to rain on the pitch.

Nick

I'd spend the last time I have looking to make sure the wife and kids are in as good a position as I can leave them. Bloody selfish to think that "I'm gonna have the time of my life and do loads of stuff I always wanted to, just because I can!", when in reality that time would be far better spent organising funeral, financial, and practical stuff which they'd be left to sort out after I was gone.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2017 at 17:20, gadgetman said:

Nick, your coded drivel isn't required or wanted in this thread.

Please cease 

Nick, your last post has been removed as your ability to string random words together in a haphazard sort of way isn't welcome in this thread.

Please refrain from posting in here unless you are totally on topic.