17 or 18" Alloys & Tyres Question MK2 VRS

Kobayashi

Couldnt seem to find an answer on these:

1.Would 18'' alloys fit onto a MK2 VRS. (Car is standard ride height with the 'big gap' in arches)

2. Can MK2 VRS 17" Gigaros fit onto a possible future purchase Monte Carlo Fabia MK3?

Ideally i would like some 'summer alloys' brand new for the VRS,

But also was thinking of long term of putting 'winter tyres' onto my chipped & scuffed 17" gigaro's & giving them to the wife for the future 'Monte MK3' during winter months.

Yes 18's fit a MK2 with appropriate tyres.

& yes Gigaro 17's fit a Mk3 Fabia.  

PS

18" Wheels and tyres on the MK2 are not reducing the gap if the tyres are the same circumference.

You would need to be fitting a bigger outer circle obviously, not just a bigger circle inside the tyres, ie the wheel.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Hi George,

Thanks for this info, my original plan was to replace with 215's when my 205's have worn down. 

But i think the best option is new 18'' with 215's, Leave my 17" for  winter option (on another fabia)

Would the Rim remain the same (40) or does it depend on the alloy make/ brand?

So a potential change would something like the photo attached:

tyres.png

^^^^

That is what you want.

& then measure side by side in the real world, because the numbers on the side do not tell the whole story as Brands and tyre can change that a little, 

but you are not going to have issues with 215/35 R18

(Audi fitted bigger on the A1 Sport Competition or what ever and i tried them on a Fabia and they fitted.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Those green ones are cool, would look nice on a white car! Would need lowered though for sure.

Not convinced about green wheels, green car myself, but different strokes.

I think 17's are best size for the vRS (looks wise).

59 minutes ago, Dr3w_vrs said:

Those green ones are cool, would look nice on a white car! Would need lowered though for sure.

Not convinced about green wheels, green car myself, but different strokes.

I think 17's are best size for the vRS (looks wise).

sticking with 17" and coilovers is another option. Car definitely needs lowering that's for certain now ive started modding things.

Really bored of black alloys and they are chipped, so cant think of another colour!

Edited by Kobayashi

If you are getting new wheels then try to have tyres on that give some rim protection and ones that do not get damaged with tyre fitting or changing tyres.

The Black ones might be chipped but are easily touched up, some aftermarket wheels are made of softer chocolate than the Gigaro's.

Really struggling to find some Green / Black Alloys that dont break the bank.

Found these 17" Alurad ones £1000 for 4, without tyres but worth saving for looks wise but the size is 215/45/17 (17 x 8 fitment)

Would 45 even fit on the VRS MKII?

The third photo is almost exactly the look i am after black/ green alloys but not lowered as much as photo.

RH Alurad 215-45-17.png

RhAlurad-BeTwin-Green.jpg

Lowering.jpg

205/45 R 15 is OK but not any use for putting on 8 x 17 rims.   215/45 R 17 are just too tall.

Not sure how you would get on with 225/35 R 17's but they are available in good tyres.

or just go 215/40 R 17

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 08:33, Awayoffski said:

205/45 R 15 is OK but not any use for putting on 8 x 17 rims.   215/45 R 17 are just too tall.

Seems to me all the best alloy sizes that i like for the MK2 VRS are listed as either (17x8) 215/45 /17 or they are (18x8) for tyres 215/40/18 (which is a few mm bigger again)

Since my car is not lowered, how would it look, i need to go to a shop really.....anyone run tyres like these options?

Untitled.png

Looks have nothing to do with practical and safe.

You can not just keep going bigger, you have a DSG so consider that and the affect of going large even if the wheels / tyres fit.

If buying a tyre package talk to the sellers, the tyres that show on a configurator can be changed quite often.

Maybe look at a nice set of used AUDI alloys in 5x100 and 18" that can be painted or powder coated by someone good and then have tyre fitted to.

$_86.JPG

048.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Maybe look at a nice set of used AUDI alloys in 5x100 and 18" that can be painted or powder coated by someone good and then have tyre fitted to.

powder coating over some is definitely an option just need to find some... the hunt continues...

Finally found some but had to increase the width of Alloy to 7.5" from 7". Gigaros are offset 41, these are 38, cant see 1/2 inch causing a problem?

These will allow a more standard tyre spec of 205 or 215/R40/17 , Roll on my 40th birthday next year as that how long its gonna take me to save up for these!

So it would look like Carmani 6.png

Oxigin.png

OK, so my car isn't quite a vRS, but I have tried it on 215/45 17s which are nominally just 2mm smaller than the 215/40 18s you were considering. NSR is the most critical due to a bulge in the wheel arch liner which may not be on yours.

Wheel arches are filled well, but ride is heightened as opposed to lowered. The tyres I wanted to try were only in this size for 17s.

• 3 years later...
On 01/03/2017 at 10:42, e-Roottoot said:

Looks have nothing to do with practical and safe.

You can not just keep going bigger, you have a DSG so consider that and the affect of going large even if the wheels / tyres fit.

If buying a tyre package talk to the sellers, the tyres that show on a configurator can be changed quite often.

$_86.JPG

048.jpg

Hi Root, what affects do bigger wheels have on the DSG?

None.  But you are going bigger wheels and not going for more Circumference / total diameter when going with the correct profile tyres.

The Polo GTI / Audi A1 195ps / SEAT Ibiza Cupra twinchargers have 215/40 R 17 tyres as standard. 

The Fabia vRS 205/40 R 17.   So the sister cars had slightly more circumference with the tyres.

EDIT.

The cars were heavier with wider tyres and more circumference and yet VW / SEAT had them with a lower tax class / Lower Emissions and better economy and speed. But then VW are proven liars and cheats..

If the circumferences are much the same and the wheel weight there is little difference other than the grip / traction maybe.

Going wider with the tyres to 225 makes a difference in the steering feel IME.

But then you can set up the alignment and change the steering assist as suits.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1