Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

I bought this car last night thinking that it would be very economical. 61mpg for city, 85mpg motorway and combined is 74.3mpg. that's what performance data said. But irony is its worst car regarding fuel cconsumption. I have been driving since last night and couldn't even see average mpg goes more than 37mpg..I have been driving in ECO MMODE and driving roads were dual carriageway and city.

Now I have filled the tank to the full (50ltrs) and it has given me 440 miles as per estimation..Can't believe, if we work out it comes like 39mpg.  

I am new to Octavia..so please someone help me if I am missing something..

Mileage of the car is 63k and 1st registered date is 2nd Dec 2013. Last servicing was done 2k miles ago..

You are not using the vehicle as you need to to achieve the figures you mention in the performance data.

You need to have it stored in a temperature controlled building, then no optional extras fitted, weigh 60kg and drive on a rolling road in a certain manner.

Taking the vehicle out of the building and on to roads invalidate any suggestion of the Data referring to the type of vehicle you have.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

PS

If you have not done, check the tyre pressures and set them, and the TPMS, then check there is a clean air filter because maybe there might not be.

It might make no difference to the MPG, but you might be safer and have some idea what was done at the last service if anything.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

I understand what you are trying to say..but at least someone should expect to have 50mpg where it says 74mpg for average. My 11years old Citroen 1.6hdi (110bhp) would give me 44mpg where it says 60mpg for average and motorway it would give me 53mpg. Compare to Citroen C4 this is pretty new car with 104bhp and regularly serviced by Skoda..I am definitely missing something!

Is there anyone using the same car here and could you share your MPG here. Advise me please. 

Edited by automass

I had a 1.6 CR in a mk2 Octym, I found it had to be driven harder (rev'd more) than my old 1.9TDI 110 (mk1), as it lacked the low end 'grunt'.  I ditched it and got mk3 vrs cr instead :-)

I've had my 15 reg 1.6 diesel SE estate manual for almost a year and average consumption is 56mpg with mixed driving in normal mode. I reckon something's not right with yours. Current mileage is 28,000.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IanMary said:

I've had my 15 reg 1.6 diesel SE estate manual for almost a year and average consumption is 56mpg with mixed driving in normal mode. I reckon something's not right with yours. Current mileage is 28,000.

What could you think possibly be wrong? I am also thinking that definitely something is wrong.

Sorry automass but I have very little mechanical knowledge, I just wanted you to know what mpg you should be getting? I hope another member can shed some light on what might be wrong. 

Three of them Michelin and one Hankook. tyre pressures seem al right. by the way, where is tyre pressure monitoring option in the menu? I will give that a go to see how many miles can it go with full tank to get actual mpg, but definitely what in the trip computer showing is devastating. What I am getting can be acceptable in a two litre petrol car...but definitely not in a diesel car.

I didn't reset it and also don't know a lot about the trip computer setting yet now. when i started the car it was Zero..i mean every time i start it shows me from Zero .but anyway, you can see how many estimation miles its giving you when you loaded the tank in full which is 440miles in 50litr full tank.

As others have said the quoted mpg figures from Skoda are a complete work of fiction, I was quite annoyed when I bought my car to realise how far apart the actual versus the ideal figures actually were. Saying that with this engine you should average more than 50mpg and get up into the 60 plus mpg on longer motorway trips if you keep your speed down. The screen mpg figures are very variable, especially when from a cold start but they do improve as the engine warms up.

I'd take it out of Eco Mode too if I were you, it really blunts the performance of the car to the point you might want to accelerate harder and end up using more fuel! Normal or Sports Mode are fine, Sport isn't all that sporty, just a bit sharper throttle response

• Like 1

I getting an average of about 65mpg out of mine and the "mode" doesn't really do anything, mine's in sport all of the time. The two biggest things that effect economy are traffic and the large bag of water that's behind the steering wheel.

But having said that I'd struggle to get 39mpg even if I tried.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, automass said:

Three of them Michelin and one Hankook. tyre pressures seem al right. by the way, where is tyre pressure monitoring option in the menu? I will give that a go to see how many miles can it go with full tank to get actual mpg, but definitely what in the trip computer showing is devastating. What I am getting can be acceptable in a two litre petrol car...but definitely not in a diesel car.

You are not getting "440" miles its an estimate, I suspect if you drive about for a bit the estimate will increase.  My wife's car's calculated range, which often does short urban trips , increases when longer trips are taken. i.e it starts at 200 we drive 50miles and range is still 200.

1 hour ago, io1901 said:

I getting an average of about 65mpg out of mine and the "mode" doesn't really do anything, mine's in sport all of the time. The two biggest things that effect economy are traffic and the large bag of water that's behind the steering wheel.

But having said that I'd struggle to get 39mpg even if I tried.

That's what I mm saying..  65 is normal..but at least I should be getting minimum of 50mpg. 

What is large bag of water!!! 

Edited by automass

Maybe you can in another month once they stop delivering Winter Diesel to the filling stations and you get used to the car and are sure that the servicing and maintenance is all done.

There are those with Fabia 1.6TDI CR that have to work at it to get 50mpg on runs so getting that as a minimum is unlikely.

As said by other posters:

when you fill up the estimated range is always the same - in my Octavia 3 VRS it says somewhere around 450 miles normally when i brim the tank.

Yet once you get going on a long trip it takes a long time for the range to drop - for me on the motorway the range often climbs.

My average from the 2 litre diesel manual is approx 54 mpg - record to date on a long trip to the SW from Yorkshire was 58 mpg.

go out and drive your car in normal mode and find out what its actually like. checking tyre pressures is also a good idea.

7 minutes ago, automass said:

Thanks for the informatiin sharing Simon667. But what is large bag of water behind the wheel mean that io1901 said?

the reference to the large bag of water there is the driver.

fuel economy is hugely affected by the driver - driving style, anticipation, use of brakes etc - all have a knock on effect on the overall mpg.

so as suggested earlier - put the car in normal mode, drive it and find out what its like

My experience is that on short journeys in winter you may well see 39 on the mpg display but diesels need to warm up both the water and the oil before consumption improves. When the outside temp is around 5C it can take up to 10 miles before the temp gauge reaches 90C in town driving. Oil temp needs twice the distance. The improved efficiency of a diesel means there are less losses to warm it up. Town driving with longer journeys gives about 44 mph in winter.

In the summer, I get mid to high 50s for similar journeys and on longer trips on mixed motorway and A roads I can get low 60s, or with a light foot, close to 70 mpg.

The 1.6 diesel has the lowest engine braking of any I have owned. The advantage is that if you anticipate traffic ahead and lift your foot early, as soon as you lift, the fuel is cut off to zero. Anticipation also reduces brake wear because you are braking from a lower speed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scouse Dave said:

I've a 2014 Elegance I keep it in sports mode it regularly gives me over 60 mpg.

Really!!! I have just driven around my locality within 5miles area (tesco, from there to Salisbury's)  and it gave me average 24mpg. the consumption starts from 300mpg (2seconds one) and come down as low as 10-11mpg..you know which one i am talking about..but when you will look for average it starts from 20mpg and increases max 39mpg. if i compare this car with my Citroen c4 1.6hdi (11years old), it used to start from 999mpg and as low as 40mpg. on average 42-43mpg on local.  I have spoken to the SKODA and they gave me report of servicing which was July 2015 when it was in 50k and that was major servicing. so it will be due for another on july 2017 or 68-70k. Just to remind here that car is in 63k now.

I have checked the air filter and it seems is in good condition. tyre pressures were all correctly set which were 32psi all around. What else the consumption could be affected by except driving pattern?   

If you brimmed the car and drove about a bit like 24 miles and the computer showed 24 mpg and you pulled in and filled to the brim i very much doubt you would get in 4.546 litres of diesel.

Do not go by the computer for short journeys.

Minor & minor servicing is nothing much, Oil & Filter and filters and checks and vacuuming and washing etc etc 

So yours is on Variable /flexible Servicing.

Brake Fluid change due at 3 years.

So best check brakes, pads and discs,  and then just drive the car over some miles and see what the MPG really is.

PS

No point comparing what you drive now with 11 year old cars without a DPF.

Edited by Awayoffski