Virtual Cockpit

Oykkh

Skoda CEO Bernhard Maier has confirmed the brand are to offer virtual cockpit technology on selected cars from April  ...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/2016/skoda-to-offer-virtual-cockpit-in-early-2017/

Could this be for the new Yeti? When i was at a launch event a product manger told me he had seen the new yeti in irl. And it was the first model to get it? Any more news on this? 

17 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Is the news not that it will be in the New Skoda Kodiaq first since the Yeti has not yet been discontinued & Kodiaq are being built.

Well i heard that the new yeti 2 will start production in week 45 or 47 so a launch in april could be true. Week 16 as mentioned in the article is shanghai motor show. And kodiaq has not got yhe Virtual Cockpit yet. 

We have a virtual cockpit on our Audi S3.  It was a substantial £1300 cost option, but when you take account of the additional connectivity and functionality of the underpinning tech it is rather good.  That said, I'm not sure I would pay the same premium to Skoda for a Yeti virtual cockpit.

Like most modern innovations the virtual cockpit is great for publicity and for magazine Road Testers to discuss and talk about. However, in practice you end up using  the standard presentation and rarely, if ever, use the multiple options available. I drove a car in the USA with a virtual cockpit - though it wasn't called that - and once I got over the novelty I switched to the standard layout and there it stayed!

My concern with the trend to virtual displays is that they are less easy to use by touch than switches to control major functions like heating etc., which means taking your eyes off the road to make adjustments. Not a good trend.

• Like 1

Was out in a new Tiguan on Saturday which had the virtual cockpit/instrument cluster... interesting, but it took ages to scroll through the functions to find some of the simple stuff that used to be controlled by a simple switch. And after dark, I found it difficult to get a comfortable level of illumination and found it too bright at times.

But once you get used to it,  that may still be better than the Yeti's array of small, identical looking & feeling heating/ventilation buttons that are set far too low down in the fascia.

I was very impressed with the rest of the car, but I thought the suspension a bit soft, though that should appeal to those who think the Yeti is too hard. If the new Yeti is as good as this when it arrives, it should be a nice piece of kit!

Edited by speedsport
Correcting spelling errors!

How long will it be before it becomes illegal to use all this IT stuff in a car! I test drove a second hand Audi A6 last year. Screen pops out of dash when in use, rotary controls for functions, sat nav etc, change display settings etc all works fine but so distracting and any interactions with it when the car is moving is very risky.

Today its hand held mobiles, soon it should be any distractions like this whilst moving.

Scary to think how many people are choosing music and doing other functions like setting the sat nav when they should be looking where they are going.

I don't even try to pick an album to play from the SD card in my car when moving as so distracting. Just selecting a radio station safely is a slight risk. maxi dot seems to be ok to use as no need to take your hands off the steering wheel.

4 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

How long will it be before it becomes illegal to use all this IT stuff in a car! I test drove a second hand Audi A6 last year. Screen pops out of dash when in use, rotary controls for functions, sat nav etc, change display settings etc all works fine but so distracting and any interactions with it when the car is moving is very risky.

Today its hand held mobiles, soon it should be any distractions like this whilst moving.

Scary to think how many people are choosing music and doing other functions like setting the sat nav when they should be looking where they are going.

I don't even try to pick an album to play from the SD card in my car when moving as so distracting. Just selecting a radio station safely is a slight risk. maxi dot seems to be ok to use as no need to take your hands off the steering wheel.

The cars Will be self driven in about 8-10 years. Skoda start the autonomos drivning projekt in pragh late this year. Audi Will be first in the VW group to offer self drivning cars. So i gues the cars Will be a smartphone on 4 wheels in a few years. 

On 26/02/2017 at 08:11, Falmouthboy said:

We have a virtual cockpit on our Audi S3.  It was a substantial £1300 cost option, but when you take account of the additional connectivity and functionality of the underpinning tech it is rather good.  That said, I'm not sure I would pay the same premium to Skoda for a Yeti virtual cockpit.

It's absolutely the type of thing that would sell me a car. I see it's standard fit on the Mk 7.5 Golf GTI and GTD now.
What other cool stuff does it do?

The range of displays is very useful, particularly the inbuilt Nav display.  Far more user friendly to do most things with the virtual cockpit and steering wheel controls than the pop up screen and the idrive knob.  That said, it is flawed on the TT as there is no pop up screen.  This means that everything really has to be done by the driver as not so user friendly for passengers to control.  Things like real time traffic info and google aerial view nav is brilliant.  Ok the various dial options are a bit of a gimmick but apart from that it's great.  Certainly not bored with it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Agreed, the fact is that with individual knobs you get to know where they are and can turn/twist/push them without taking your eyes off the road - or even really thinking about it.

I am sure we will get to driverless cars but having driven most of the Cornish byeways and lanes I really am not sure how an auto system could judge whether it was you or the approaching car that backed up onto a verge or into a field gateway to pass when you meet another vehicle. Could it judge that the nice field gateway is in fact 6 inches deep in mud so although it looks good backing into it would be a disaster. How would it know whether the other vehicle was going to come ahead or reverse? There seems to me to be so many experience/judgement calls when driving that it will be a brave man who puts their life, and that of their family, in the hands of an algorithm. I guess in difficult circumstances the auto drive could hand back control to the driver - but the driver wouldn't be paying attention by then and would gradually lose competence as they relied more and more on the auto drive. 

In my case I guess it will be the next generations problem!