Exhaust for Vrs Tsi

Hi there. I have been a member for some time, but have not been on in a while. My wife has a 2010 Vrs Tsi which has covered 39000 miles now. It had a new factory engine fitted at 15000 miles due to the oil usage problems and needs the occasional top up still but not like other CAVE engines it seems. I offered to swap the car but she loves it as it has 4 doors, a reasonable size boot and goes well. Anyway, when I had it up on the ramps the other day for a tyre swap i noticed the exhaust was a bit corroded on the rear silencer. To this end I have spent hours on the forum checking to see what people fit. Milltec seem to be the most popular, but are also very expensive. To that end I did some research and have booked her car in for a Tony Banks custom stainless cat back exhaust next month in Leeds. Does anyone else have any experience with this company, either good or bad. The cost for the system is going to be £325, which I thought was reasonable as Proflo exhausts in Bradford wanted about £350, whatever that means.

• Like 1

I have seen 2 members here a few years back that had exhausts made for their Twinchargers by Tony Banks and they were very happy with them.

You might find mention of these in old threads on Twincharger exhausts or Custom exhausts.

Example.

VRSGone on his rather quick hatch, he no longer has it though.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/335649-miltek-sports-exhaust-system-vrs-estate 

Edited by Awayoffski

3 hours ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

Hi there. I have been a member for some time, but have not been on in a while. My wife has a 2010 Vrs Tsi which has covered 39000 miles now. It had a new factory engine fitted at 15000 miles due to the oil usage problems and needs the occasional top up still but not like other CAVE engines it seems. I offered to swap the car but she loves it as it has 4 doors, a reasonable size boot and goes well. Anyway, when I had it up on the ramps the other day for a tyre swap i noticed the exhaust was a bit corroded on the rear silencer. To this end I have spent hours on the forum checking to see what people fit. Milltec seem to be the most popular, but are also very expensive. To that end I did some research and have booked her car in for a Tony Banks custom stainless cat back exhaust next month in Leeds. Does anyone else have any experience with this company, either good or bad. The cost for the system is going to be £325, which I thought was reasonable as Proflo exhausts in Bradford wanted about £350, whatever that means.

Nice to see another member from Halifax on here.  What colour vrs do you have?

9 minutes ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

It's white with an anthracite carbon wrap on the roof and anthracite wheels. 

Ah I think I've seen her a couple of times round the sowerby bridge area

52 minutes ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

Probably as her family lives that way. Just heard back some positive reports  about Tony Banks exhausts so you may hear her coming next month too!

Sounds good. I shall keep my ears open then lol

9 minutes ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

Is your car green with black roof? Just passed and your Arbarth was on road outside. 

Yup that's the one

I will be following this closely, i too have heard great things about Tony Banks exhausts. The last time my car was on the ramps i noticed the corrosion on the back box so keeping an eye on that and then will sweet talk the other half into replacing it 

Cosmetic and Surface Corrosion is very common on the Twinchargers back box of the OEM system and it can be there from year 1 to now.

Just treat the seams with some rust inhibitor then paint with Silver Manifold Paint or the likes, 

or replaces as needed or wanted or as you can persuade others that it is necessary.

Used abused and not blowing so was left as was. 

(the shame of the mess!)

DSCN0311.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Well it's off to Tony Banks in the morning for the exhaust. I have told my wife as it's her car and she has requested mild sports for the sound! Looking forward to hearing it when it's done. Just bagged a bargain on some "like new" 17" black Skoda alloys but have to collect from Perth, Scotland and google maps is saying 4hrs 50mins each way so that's a full day trip. Alloy gaiters will be fitted to avoid kerb I guess this time. Not sure whether to go for black or some other colour ATM.

• Like 1

Had a call from them in less than 2hrs to say it was ready. Looks good from behind and fills the gap nicely. Fired it up and you can tell it's different. A deep note on tick over and then onto the ring road. It isn't too loud to be overbearing at normal speeds and it seems to pull better. Now to join the dual carriageway and past the speed camera. Ready in sport mode and we're off (up to 70mph of course!) - it sounds well and still not too loud. 

The best way I can describe it is like the gear change noise from an S3. 

The car car is filthy at the moment so I will wash it first before I put a pic on. 

Hope me my wife will be pleased with it. 

It it cost a bit more than he first quoted as he deleted the front silencer too, which he said was part of the cat. But overall I think it was worth it. Unfortunately it was off the ramps when I picked it up so I couldn't post a pic of the full system.

Some pictures when you can, I'd like a new system thats is not too loud but a bit far for me to go. So what exactly was changed from the OEM exhaust?

You should read the pros and cons about getting alloy protectors before getting them. I decided against it in the end.

Gave it a quick wash. Rinse, snow foam, rinse then wash with lambs wool mit and final rinse!

Picked up wife who liked the look of it. Driving home she commented it was a bit louder than she expected but would give it a couple of days to get used to it.

i haven't seen he whole system yet but the tail pipes are shown.

When you buy a cat back system you get it from the rear of the front silencer, which is actually part of the cat pipe. He cut the silencer off and made a stainless pipe to replace it therefore reducing back pressure. It now has a single pipe running from the front with a silencer and the twin oval tail pipe. You can hear it at 70mph on the motorway but not too loud to deafen you or become annoying on a long journey. 

Alloygators despatched so will see when they arrive and decide whether to fit them or not. 

29 minutes ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

Gave it a quick wash. Rinse, snow foam, rinse then wash with lambs wool mit and final rinse!

Picked up wife who liked the look of it. Driving home she commented it was a bit louder than she expected but would give it a couple of days to get used to it.

i haven't seen he whole system yet but the tail pipes are shown.

I shall keep my ears open when I'm out and about :biggrin:

2 hours ago, VRS TDi CR estate said:

When you buy a cat back system you get it from the rear of the front silencer, which is actually part of the cat pipe. He cut the silencer off and made a stainless pipe to replace it therefore reducing back pressure. It now has a single pipe running from the front with a silencer and the twin oval tail pipe. You can hear it at 70mph on the motorway but not too loud to deafen you or become annoying on a long journey. 

Alloygators despatched so will see when they arrive and decide whether to fit them or not. 

you may find some oil consumption now your back pressure has reduced mate as back pressure is what keeps your turbo oil seal well sealed