Towcar of the year my arse!!!

I bought my skoda superb estate 4x4 tdi170 after I read the caravan clubs tow car of the year review!

i did have a skoda octavia estate tdi 105 and was very happy with it as a towcar however it did have 100,000 miles on the clock and I thought it needed replacement! I tried to find a used skoda octavia estate 4x4 with leather interior but to no avail! I eventually test drove the skoda superb estate and thinking it would be able to tow more I bought an immaculate  elegance model with 30,000 miles on the clock! However it couldn't tow any more than the octavia and I was a bit disappointed! The 6 speed gearbox is an abomination,notchy and imprecise whereas the old 5 speed box (on the octavia)was sublime! What price progress?

However I bought a Hymer nova caravan as my British built damp ridden sponge on wheels was passed its sell by date! The Hymer is on the limit for towing but a lovely van!

i decided to tow it to the south of France for my first caravan holiday abroad,I needn't have worried about the holiday as the car didn't make it! I was driving overnight down to the ferry port when after 7 hours the car suddenly lost power and the dash lit up like a Xmas tree! I coasted to the side of the road and tried to find out what was wrong with the car! After checking everything over and finding nothing I started the car and the check engine light came on but drove normally! I set off again and at the next incline the Xmas tree spectacular started again and I lost power and again I coasted to the hard shoulder. I switched it off and then on again and the engine seemed fine so I set off again. I reached a service station and lo and behold an AA recovery chap was sitting having his break. I apologised for disturbing him at his break and explained my problem. He phoned his mate (anAA MECHANIC)as he was only a recovery driver and he advised to disconnect the battery and retry it! I did this, which worked,or seemed to,then he advised me to visit the nearby skoda garage when the opened at 9 am.

Long story short a turbo overboost fault code was logged but no problem found! I set off again for the continent and caught the ferry to Calais! The car broke down again with the same fault just outside Metz at a huge hill with no hard shoulder and I nursed the car to a Bosch diagnostic workshop and the same turbo overboost fault was found! However the French mechanic had no time to investigate the problem so I turned the car round and heade back to the ferry port!

So no holiday for me !!! The fault!!?..a dirty diesel fuel filter which was diagnosed over the phone by a mechanic mate!

THE DIESEL FUEL FILTER IS A 100,000 mile change out item!!!!!!!!!!!!! So wasn't done at the 50000 mile service!!!!!!!!! but

the  cambelts AND water pump need changing funnily enough!!!!!!!!!

so if you tow a caravan,Change your diesel filter at 50,000. However don't expect the skoda dealer to know which fuel filter is in your car without handing them the offending article to compare!!!!!!!! As the made more than one type for this car!

oh and another thing the speedo led failed so I can only guess what speed I'm doing in the dark, it's a 60 plate with 50 odd thousand miles on the clock and how I wish I had my old 5 speed skoda octavia back : (

Very few real mechanics around now that can't do basic fault finding without plugging in a computer to tell them something is wrong. I'm surprised the fuel filter hadn't been changed before as it is on a major service on the Octavia Mk2 VRS which is the same engine as you have.

I bought my first Skoda only to sell it within 18 months due to poor build so it will probably be my last too. Variation of service parts within a model screams cost cutting or poor design which is unacceptable. I deeply regretted selling my 10 year old Mondeo that turned out to be better built than the 3 year Octavia I replaced it with. 

My brother bought his Octavia VRS for towing and even though his caravan is well below the limit the rear suspension is on the floor so had to spend yesterday fitting Mad Suspension air helpers for him. A bad product to fit with poor instructions and incorrectly set safety devices made worse by Skoda's cheap fittings for the interior panels. 

Sorry your planned holiday has been ruined but hopefully you can salvage something of it.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

First and foremost this isn't a pop at the OP or anyone including the Skoda brand

many moons ago I remember watching the likes of dad and uncles preparing their cars for a family holiday, doing what today would possibly be considered a service, the likes of fuel filter air filter oil filter plugs and leads etc were all scrutinised and replaced where need be ( original removed parts in my dads case were put in the boot as spares ) things like water and oil levels were check all these were done because the car was going to be used outside the norm these days who bothers ?

modern cars are built to a budget, component suppliers are screwed to the bone to get their prices as low as possible yet the product needs to last and not need replacing, crap, a fuel filter is doing the same job in today's car as it was 50 years ago ! well essentially it is , if they required changing every 10 k or less back then quite likely they ought to be changed a lot earlier on today's cars, certainly would have been benifitial in the above case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidwhite said:

First and foremost this isn't a pop at the OP or anyone including the Skoda brand

many moons ago I remember watching the likes of dad and uncles preparing their cars for a family holiday, doing what today would possibly be considered a service, the likes of fuel filter air filter oil filter plugs and leads etc were all scrutinised and replaced where need be ( original removed parts in my dads case were put in the boot as spares ) things like water and oil levels were check all these were done because the car was going to be used outside the norm these days who bothers ?

modern cars are built to a budget, component suppliers are screwed to the bone to get their prices as low as possible yet the product needs to last and not need replacing, crap, a fuel filter is doing the same job in today's car as it was 50 years ago ! well essentially it is , if they required changing every 10 k or less back then quite likely they ought to be changed a lot earlier on today's cars, certainly would have been benifitial in the above case

No offence taken but.........That's why I put it into Skoda for a service, I didn't know the filter wasn't changed until I got back to the uk!!!!

So OP bought a car for towing without checking what the towing weights are? The Superb is a bigger heavier car than the Octavia, so you shouldn't assume it can tow more when it has more power. The 4x4 version does have a higher towing weight than the FWD one though.

As for your other problems, that could have happened at any time, you were just unlucky it happened when you were traveling for a holiday. Whoever told you the filter should be changed at 100000 miles is lying or doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm looking at the Skoda service manual here and it says fuel filter change every 90000 km (~56000 miles). That said, most people would change it every service for peace of mind - it's not an expensive part.

I'd be a bit concerned about the mileage on the car. 30000 miles sounds absurdly low for a 6.5 year old car. Did you run a history check on it before purchase?

The gearbox should not be notchy once warmed up: I'd suggest having the oil changed in it and see if that improves matters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, peterposh said:

old cars didn't even have fuel filters , the jets used to get blocked in the carbs

Really ? I was going back to the late 60s and 70s Morris Oxford / Austin Cambridge I know they had fuel filters also my first car was a 65 cortina that had one too, but I agree jets in carbs did get blocked, up grading the jets on some carbs used to increase performance but now we are going back to the age of furry dice and go faster stripes .........

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, davidwhite said:

......................but now we are going back to the age of furry dice and go faster stripes .........

Don't forget the Tiger's tail!! Now that really does show my age!

Dave

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, drefaldwyn said:

Don't forget the Tiger's tail!! Now that really does show my age!

Dave

Blimey, well I remember them too, to be fair,  or more to the point, honest,  I was born in '56 but I neither look or act my age ( apparently ) and long may that continue

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, davidwhite said:

Blimey, well I remember them too, to be fair,  or more to the point, honest,  I was born in '56 but I neither look or act my age ( apparently ) and long may that continue

I had one fastened to the luggage rack on my Vespa 150 Sportique.

Dave

• Like 1

I have a 170 4x4 Superb. Best tow car I've ever had. I'm sorry you had problems but its not my experience. Most of my 50k miles have been solo of course.

In general towing weights are becoming a problem for all cars, as cars are getting lighter. 

I'm not convinced by your diagnosis of a dirty fuel filter - I can't see how this would cause/log an over boost fault.

More likely is it's sticky turbo vanes. Usually shows up when a normally lightly driven car has to work hard (foot down on motorway , towing a caravan etc) . Basically in time the turbo variable vanes partially seize (they soot up) and when extra power is called for the vanes cannot move properly and an overboost fault is logged which will put the engine into limp home mode causing loss of power. 

Worth checking out just in case

6 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

petrol pumps..........5 star 4 star 3 star 2 star

diesel? round the back sir

Oh I just remember 5 star , I also remember people coming out to fill our car up. Saying that on my dad's V6 Ford Zodiac he always said you had to remember to turn the engine off to stop gaining on them :D 

• Like 1