Variable boot floor retrofit

MarieK

Can anyone tell me what retrofitting of the variable boot floor involves? Is it a straightforward job?

I'm not paying £266 to have one fitted in a PCH car...its already enroute from factory so too late for factory fit.

If I can source the kit cheaper I'm wondering about installing it myself....thoughts?

Actual price from Skoda is £165 so not sure where your PCH supplier got £266. I have seen kits for the spare tyre but none for the variable boot floor. 

Just waiting delivery of a new SE L Drive with variable floor, haven't seen one so bought on advice. I decided I would rather have the increased boot space but be able to raise the boot floor to level with the boot lip for heavier loads.

When I got my spare wheel and floor kit, it was really easy to install in 20mins and if anybody needed the instructions they were excellent so I can't imagine anybody struggling.

I have also seen the instructions for installing the variable floor kit and that looks just as easy.

• Like 1

If its just a screwdriver job or similar then I'm happy to diy.

I didn't get a spare with the Renegade so I'm not going to bother with the Yeti this time either.

2 hours ago, MarieK said:

....I didn't get a spare with the Renegade so I'm not going to bother with the Yeti this time either.

A little surprising, given your HQ, IMHO.  It only takes one unrepairable tyre in the wrong sort of conditions (and, in your case, in the Highlands & Islands)... 

Edited by Brijo

45 minutes ago, Brijo said:

A little surprising, given your HQ, IMHO.  It only takes one unrepairable tyre in the wrong sort of conditions (and, in your case, in the Highlands & Islands)... 

We do have garages with tyres up here you know ;-)

Furthermore, they are very obliging in a small community when required. I don't want to tempt fate, but I honestly can't remember the last time I needed a spare.

+1 Rather have the extra space than drag around a space consuming, heavy spare wheel I am unlikely to ever use. If I need one then that's what the AA's for and as the AA now carry universal spares the only thing you need is patience while they come. The older I get the more patience I have, no deadlines, no planes to catch for business trips etc. There is always the safety aspect, do you really want to be changing a wheel by the side of a busy road with cars and lorries whizzing by inches from you? Thought not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarieK said:

Can anyone tell me what retrofitting of the variable boot floor involves? Is it a straightforward job?

I'm not paying £266 to have one fitted in a PCH car...its already enroute from factory so too late for factory fit.

If I can source the kit cheaper I'm wondering about installing it myself....thoughts?

I had mine retro fitted last month. Hortons did it for £220. As well as the wheel, there is a jack, wheel brace and various bits all neatly fitted into moulded polystyrene shapes that utilises the space around the wheel and helps hold it in place. The kit also comes with a lower fitting floor carpet for the boot storage space.

i thought of buying just a spare wheel online but being a first-time Yeti owner, I was afraid I would stuff something up.

there have been other recent posts on this, and one kind  chap offering some spare wheel kit.

3 minutes ago, nugbuv said:

I had mine retro fitted last month. Hortons did it for £220. As well as the wheel, there is a jack, wheel brace and various bits all neatly fitted into moulded polystyrene shapes that utilises the space around the wheel and helps hold it in place. The kit also comes with a lower fitting floor carpet for the boot storage space.

i thought of buying just a spare wheel online but being a first-time Yeti owner, I was afraid I would stuff something up.

there have been other recent posts on this, and one kind  chap offering some spare wheel kit.

I don't want the spare wheel though, just the variable boot floor

1 hour ago, MarieK said:

Furthermore, they are very obliging in a small community when required. I don't want to tempt fate, but I honestly can't remember the last time I needed a spare.

Yes, I do know :) (been off-road there.  Well, on foot, anyway :giggle: .  Across Bealach a Mhaim (?) to the Sligachan Hotel via the golden plovers).  But it can be a long way between garages and a short time between fair conditions and bad.  As I say, it only takes one... 

Forgive me, it's totally your choice of course.  I'm just an old worry-guts.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brijo said:

Yes, I do know :) (been off-road there.  Well, on foot, anyway :giggle: .  Across Bealach a Mhaim (?) to the Sligachan Hotel via the golden plovers).  But it can be a long way between garages and a short time between fair conditions and bad.  As I say, it only takes one... 

Forgive me, it's totally your choice of course.  I'm just an old worry-guts.  

Youre not alone. I've ordered the spare too. It's a family car and we have young children. I'd much rather have the option of keeping us mobile myself rather than waiting X number of hours for breakdown assistance. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MarieK said:

You can buy the parts, it's getting them for a reasonable price that's the problem.

I found it surprising that the variable boot floor was £165 whilst the spare wheel is £150. Maybe it's a volume thing and certainly the floor has to be much more solid than that with the spare wheel. How much have you been quoted for parts?

18 hours ago, MarieK said:

Oh dear - that's probably torn it.

I had the variable boot floor on my last car an Octavia 3 Estate and for that car it was very handy to keep everything level but given how much smaller the boot is in the Yeti compared to the Octavia I can't personally see how it would make financial sense (or even be all that useful) to fit this in a Yeti, particularly as your car (like mine) is on a PCH deal.

Saying that looking at the boot space as is, I'm pretty sure that someone confident with a power saw could fashion one out of thick plywood that would fit well enough inside the existing boot space to bring it level. If you started off with a few big bits of cardboard to get the shape about right, cutting the right shape after that shouldn't be too hard to do and a wee bit of carpet offcut in a dark colour would finish it off well enough. You could just use a few thin bits of wood underneath it to keep it at the right height, I actually had to do something similar with the Octavia to give the variable boot floor extra support as it was very prone to collapsing in on itself if you put anything vaguely heavy in the boot! I saw some pictures recently of the facelifted version of the Octavia and it looks like Skoda has added some sort of movable extra support into cars fitted with the variable boot floor.

• 3 weeks later...

Two punctures so far this month...

The first was a fast-deflating one 120 miles from home late on a Saturday afternoon; I had an electric pump and managed to make it to a nearby Quikfit before they closed but the tyre had to be replaced.  The other one a slow one that my local tyre place repaired for £10 (I could see the nail in the tyre, right in the centre).  I didn't need to use the spare either time, luckily, but I wouldn't be without it.

On 05/03/2017 at 21:30, MarieK said:

Cautionary tale and reason for having a spare.

I live an hour and half north of Inverness and was on my way Up north in my company car (Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid) had a puncture an hour from home no real problem as I just call the lease company who will send out K.....t to repair or replace.

Problem 1: no mobile coverage !, had to get a lift to the nearest phone box (12 miles) then get lift back

problem 2: The muppet on the other end of the phone insists on a post code which is IV 27 which covers most of the NW of Scotland (Sutherland) but he insists on 6 digits so I give him my home code just to get things moving.

Problem 3: Told I need to stay with car and wait for K....t to ring me and confirm details (problem 1 comes into play!!!!)

Get K....t to ring the phone box and I explain where the car is and all seems to be ok, get back to car and two and half hours later the van finally arrives.

Problem 4: Tyre needs replacing and guess what he did not have correct size with him so now need recovery, back to Problem 1&2

fair play to fitter he gave me a lift home where I made arrangements for recovery company (from Tain) to pick me up and I guided them to car and finall got tyre to Inverness to have tyre changed.

sorry if this is a bit long but moral is a £200 stare wheel would have saved me a whole days pain.

Positive outcome is that company has now stumped up for spare which Sod's law says I will never need :-)

ps My new L&K will have spare (required as part of tow bar fit) and I will be removing full kit from my Monte Carlo which will appear on for sale section soon.

This is the very reason that I specified a spare on my first and second Yetis.

I travel to Mull at various times during the year and whilst mobile coverage isn't usually too bad around the Island's East coast, go West and it's non-existant. The single track roads eat tyres if you stray too close to the edge in places, and of course, being an island, a new tyre for a yeti would have to be shipped in from the mainland, so a replacement is highly unlikely to be available same day.

No, I'll put up with the shallower boot for piece of mind.  Needless to say of course, I've never yet suffered a puncture on Mull.... but I've seem lots of other cars with one!

Variable boot floor sourced and I fitted it myself. 

I need it so that I can put a dog cage in the boot when required, and still be able to open the cage door easily.

Picked up my Yeti SEL DSG Drive on Thursday with extras including variable boot floor. In general use you can have it flat so floor is level with sill but quickly flop the rear 1/3rd of the floor forward to accommodate shopping bags etc which don't move because they are in a 'well'. Also with the extra depth the hanging clips actually work for hanging bags etc. Total floor can easily be raised and clipped up so releasing the full depth of the boot for bigger items. Suitcases can now stand upright rather than having to lie down, amazing the amount of extra space released and now everything we take on holiday can fit in the boot rather than encroaching onto the back seat and foot wells. Still space under the lower boot floor to put a few extra tools etc. as well as the tyre sealant and electric tyre pump. Changed the Skoda supplied sealant for 'Slime' which is water soluble and easily washed out. Mind you I would only use it in dire circumstances where the AA couldn't get to me for hours, otherwise I will wait for the AA to change the wheel and use one of their multifid spares, being retired a few minutes here or there makes no odds!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a tyre repair kit as my new Yeti and other car don't have spare wheels.

From what I've read on this and other forums they are really quick and simple to use and should fix most punctures permanently. Just need to carry a compressor as well.

XtremeAuto® CAR VAN TYRE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT WITH 10 STRIPS 
http://amzn.eu/cj4NIEU
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Bought a tyre repair kit as my new Yeti and other car don't have spare wheels.

From what I've read on this and other forums they are really quick and simple to use and should fix most punctures permanently. Just need to carry a compressor as well.

XtremeAuto® CAR VAN TYRE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT WITH 10 STRIPS 
http://amzn.eu/cj4NIEU

Just ordered two of these. One for the Yeti and one for the camper. 

Camper is running all terrain tyres and I wouldn't fancy changing one on the side of the road. 

Thanks for the tip, didn't revise these kits existed!

• Like 1