Bonelorry's Lemon Yellow Daily

bonelorry

Westfields have a good forum and have lots of regional meets once a month.

The last remaining kit car show is coming up at Stoneleigh show ground on the next bank holiday weekend, the Sunday is the better day if you want a nosey :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like the Fabia is going to be here for a good while.

The Man Cave is getting built next Tuesday so not long now, However it is doubtful I will be buying a Second car. Total change of Heart as I have kind of lost interest with Cars after selling the Golf R and after scouring the Market for ideas on what to buy and quickly loosing interest there is simply nothing I want to buy at the moment so after Passing my Motorcycle theory test earlier this week, Booking my Direct Access yesterday which I start next Wednesday and spending a small fortune on a New Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Trousers and a Jacket this morning.

It is safe to say I will be having a love affair with Motorbikes and having a few Years off Cars, Having already decided on what Bikes I want... Honda CBR600F as a Beginner/Sports Bike, Yamaha XT660X Supermoto for a bit of fun and a Classic 2-Stroke as a bit of a Summer/Show Bike.

Way I see it is that I can have the Fabia and 3 x Motorbikes for less money than what I had tied up in the Golf R, This must sound mental but the Fabia gives me as much enjoyment on a day to day basis and the Golf R did. I think this shows how much I have lost interest with cars.

Ofcourse I will continue to keep the Fabia looking A1 and continue with the thread.

Thanks Simon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bonelorry said:

2/5/17...

The Man Cave is up!

Just got to fill it with Man Stuff LOL, I am having an Electrician to install Power to the Garage and will be getting probably 4 Florescent Strip Lights along with a a few Plug Sockets in various places, A tool Box, Work Bench and some Shelving/Racking.

It is more than big enough inside! Should have no worries carrying out Minor Mechanical Work and Detailing in there, Hoping to fit a couple of Motorbikes in there too.

Great investment, Very happy that I finally have a decent Garage. I can foresee many hours of my time spent in here LOL.

33601229633_50a7e2338c_c.jpg

34280430641_1702c159a3_c.jpg

Wow is this a dream ?oh boy i want my garage too .

Could have put the bloody door in the middle :dull:

haha my door could do with been over to one side as its a pain getting in and out due to the fence.

18 hours ago, pip_vrs said:

Could have put the bloody door in the middle :dull:

haha my door could do with been over to one side as its a pain getting in and out due to the fence.

4 hours ago, Wardy said:

That was the first thing I thought as well :D

But can see the logic behind it!

Aesthetically yes it would look much neater with the Door centralised.

IF I would have gone for a normal Size Width garage and only a 7 or 8ft Door then they could have installed it in the Middle.

However, The camera angle on the pictures doesn't really show the Width of the Driveway which is just over 9ft and the Width of the new Garage door which is bang on 9ft. If I would have had the new Garage door installed in the Centre I would have been turning in at an angle to get the car central to the Door.

As the Door is I can reverse straight down the middle of the drive, Straight into the Garage without having to turn and can open the Drivers door fully to get out. Also I can have a couple of Motorbikes down the Left hand Side which I do not really need to worry about.

34044888260_8a02fe0dbc_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So no issues with a Fabia but the Garage on the other hand is still a bare shell and might even be getting knocked down and starting again. Having some major problems with the Base...

Heavy Condensation gathering in patches, I did a 2-Part Sealing and Oil Based Garage Floor Paint spending about 10 Hours in total and a couple of days after the final coat of Paint it all reacted and was turned into a Milky horrible mess which would come off under foot had to be removed back to the bare Concrete which was a Painful and long process.

Sinking of the floor by about 1/2 an Inch around the Door Area which allows Water to pool during heavy rain.

The Ramp Angle is too severe with a step of about 1-2 Inch at the bottom, The first time I drove into the Garage with the Fabia I only have 40-50mm between the Front Bumper and Concrete on a Fabia with Standard Ride Height. I would never get a Sports Car or Lowered car into the Garage which is somewhat limiting.

The actual Garage Structure itself is brilliant, I am more than happy with it but the base which was done by a a separate company/builder which the Garage Agent insisted I must use is the issue.

Further from that it is now nearly 2 Weeks since I made my initial complaint to the Garage Agent, It was a further 5 Days when I contacted him again stating that the Builders had not got in touch yet and then when they did I arranged to be at home for 2 Days for them to come and inspect it and they failed to turn up. Then when I rang them last Friday claimed they did not have my contact number and that it would be after the Bank Holiday Weekend.

I drove straight to the Garage Agent on Saturday after work and kicked off spectacularly, The main gaffer of the Builders is supposed to be coming this morning. I went Mental!

So not impressed, £4500 for a Garage that is at the moment totally useless and I refuse to put the car or anything else in there.

• Like 2

Ah that's a bummer :dry:

Did they use a concrete company for it,or mixed it there selves? 

Base looks pretty thick,do you think you painted it to soon?

Edited by coskev

Yes, that really is a PITA.  There is always the Small Claims route but obviously you really want it rectified properly.  Suggestion:  I built a concrete section garage many years ago and put in several perspex roofing sheets, two at the bench end and another further along.  Made a big difference to the interior when working there during daylight.

Cheers

Clive

I asked my m8 who is a manager for Cemex and he said concrete is fully cured in 28 days,any longer than that and they have mixed it wrong.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bonelorry said:

Thanks lads, Its getting sorted Thankfully!

I know Kev, Yes knowing what I know now I probably did Paint it too quickly but was only acting on the advice given by the Men that did the Concrete Base. It was left 5 Weeks before I Firstly Sealed it with a PVA/Water mix and then Painted using an Oil Based Heavy Duty Floor Paint.

A couple of days later it looked horrendous and the whole lot had to be removed :(

Apparently the Builders buy the Concrete from a supplier ready mixed and then drive in their Wagon/Concrete Mixer straight to where ever they are working to lay it.

The thought had crossed my mind but it looks to be getting sorted! I am getting Power put into the Garage including multiple Fluorescent Strip Lights but have had to hold off due to the issues with the Base.

1/6/17...

To give a bit of an update on the Garage situation, I had a meeting on Tuesday morning with the Manager/Owner of the builders that did the Concrete Base.

He was absolutely spot on and stated that he has had a few complaints recently about the workmanship of his lads, Also that they where failing to keep him in the loop resulting in situations like mine where he has had customers ringing him kicking off and him having no idea why.

So after a full inspection he has offered to do the following which I have accepted...

1: 2 x Part application of Acrylic Resin Concrete Floor Sealer, First Coat was applied this morning and I can confirm it has already set to a Low Gloss and Rock Hard finish. The Second Coat is getting applied on Monday when he comes to sort the Ramp out.

2: Break up and remove the existing Concrete Ramp, Remove Block Paving and Construct new ramp approx 1 FT longer that finishes at ground level. This will be a much less severe angle which will allow for more ground clearance. This will be done on Monday.

3: He measured the area which has Sank and to be fair this is Minor but when I noticed it I was pretty wound up so made a big thing about it, We agreed that it could be left as it would look a mess to grind it back to Aggregate and then Concrete over the top although he offered to fit a Weather Proof Rubber Strip along the Door bottom which I am happy to accept.

I'm glad he's not being a stereotypical builder with you, and that you will end up with a garage that you can actually use! 

Edited by skodalad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Robshaw said:

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the resin floor.

(Boring for most) but something I'm looking to do in a new property of mine. Thanks

Nothing to see at all, Its totally transparent on mine. Almost looks like a layer of Clear Lacquer over the Concrete.

• 2 weeks later...

11/6/17...

So tomorrow is the day the Builders come out and apply the final coat of Resin on the floor and sort out the ramp, It should have been sorted early last Week but due to the shocking Weather it was carried forward to this Week which is fair enough.

On another note on Friday I passed my Unrestricted Motorbike Test, Got through in the minimum requirement of 6 Days from Start to Finish but due to work commitments I couldn't do it all in a block so it was spread out over a 1 Month Period. 

Theory Test which I did first, Then...

CBT

125 Training day Bit of a formality for me really as it designed for people that have never ridden a Geared Motorbike, I did my CBT on a Geared 125 so it was a steady day really.

Mod 1 Training Day and Mod 1 Test Day

Mod 2 Training Day and Mod 2 Test Day

No Minor faults on the Mod 1 got a clean sheet but picked up 2 Minors on the Mod 2, I passed though which I am over the moon about!

Oh and since this thread is supposed to be about the Fabia LOL, Its still fine, No issues whatsoever! Although its not due yet I am planning to give the car a Full Service at some point over the next few Months.

• Like 3