Emissions issues with some Skoda, VW, Audi and Seat models

lichfielddriver

Thousands of Volkswagen owners in the UK are seeking compensation from the carmaker following the emissions rigging scandal.

Lawyers said 10,000 owners had already expressed an interest in suing VW.

They estimate owners could get "several thousand" pounds in compensation.

Lawyers, headed by the firm Harcus Sinclair, are applying for a group litigation order, similar to a US class action lawsuit, in the High Court later this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38552828

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

The only one who stands to make any real money is the law firm. 

I'm surprised after all this time, the other manf's have not been as implicated as VW is. I think VW will always own this 'scandal' in peoples mind regardless of which manf is being discussed.

That's not to say people shouldn't, you should. 

• Like 3

We could all use more money, but what are the VW Group or Skoda due you for?

You buy a Dirty Diesel and use it for Business or Private use get so so economy and then sell it, you got a good low VED class while you had it.

?

Have you had any losses, or breakages the Manufacturers Warranty did not cover.

Maybe those that got good Economy or paid Lower Taxes & Duties should pay any compensation received if they ever get it back to the UK Treasury for the tax benefit they had while polluting the country driving Dirty Diesels with Defeat Devices, 

and the VW Group can pay up as well. 

All is fair in love and war.

• Like 2

I, and a few friends, have registered with that law firm. Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the court case (if it even gets to court). I wonder what the position will be if compensation is rewarded but in the meantime I have sold the car? Will comp only be available to the original owner, or to the owner when the emissions fiddling was discovered, or the current owner?

• Like 2

My 2.0 2014 Yeti has the engine with the cheat device. As we know, owners of these cars have been compensated in the USA. There is a new UK class action suite being undertaken by Harcus Sinclair against VW, Skoda, etc., to try to gain compensation for owners who were deceived by the hidden cheat device (i.e, they thought they were getting greener engines) on a no win no fee basis, which you are free to join if you wish. The website is http://www.vwemissionsaction.com/ . Lets see if we can also get some compensation from Skoda.

They're welcome to try this but as ColinD noted I think it's only the solicitors and barristers who'll see any real money out of this.

I, and a few friends, have registered with that law firm. Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of the court case (if it even gets to court). I wonder what the position will be if compensation is rewarded but in the meantime I have sold the car? Will comp only be available to the original owner, or to the owner when the emissions fiddling was discovered, or the current owner?

In the US, you have to be the current owner of the vehicle and it can't have been written off by an insurance company. Those who bought the vehicle after the scandal broke do not qualify (they knowingly bought a 'defective' vehicle). The compensation package in the US is for loss of vehicle value due to the emissions scandal and the fact that many TDIs there are not capable of being fixed (to US regs) without significant impacts on economy or performance.

Given the reports across Europe of TDI values having improved in the last 12 months, I don't see where any real compensation is going to come from. A number of governments have already said they're not going to reclassify vehicles into different taxation classes should there be a notable impact on CO2 emissions. It's going to be difficult, costly and time-consuming to run the tests to prove that in-service vehicles have not been meaningfully hampered by the update.

Reports on individual vehicles from owners going about their daily business, while interesting and worthy of research, are not scientifically robust enough to be used to determine any impact from this update. It would require hundreds of vehicles to be run on the same standardised test protocol to give meaningful data that can strip away effects of things like usage patterns, service history, pending failures, etc.

Consider also that a compensation package on the scale of what was offered in the US would almost certainly drive VAG out of business. The means the loss of millions of jobs across the EU (workers at the plants, suppliers, dealership staff), loss of vehicle sales in the short term meaning lower tax revenues for governments, reduction of parts/service support for our vehicles. For the dreamers among us, there would be huge impacts on Bentley, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini as they struggle to find a new owner.

Just heard Harcus Sinclair on Radio 2 on why they proceeding with this action. It was very poor stuttering and unable to explain the reason why and referring to the cheat as a gizmo. Hope they can brush up their argument before it goes to court. 

• Like 1

If the car drove as you expected it to, cost what you expected in motor tax and fuel and had no reliability issues as a result of the emissions cheat then the car hasn't really wronged you any more than it has wronged everyone in the country you drive in including you as a result of the extra pollution emitted. I suspect the law firm will be the only party to profit from this, but I would like to see each country where cars were sold chase VW (And any other cheating manufacturers) for compensation for the environmental damage the extra NOx emissions caused. Similarly other car companies might have grounds to sue VW over lost earnings due to people buying VAG cars when they would have bought elsewhere if the emissions of the car were reported honestly (Since the VW cars wouldn't have been approved for sale). I suspect this won't ever happen as any claim like this would lead to other companies' cheating methods being discussed in court, so much better for them to say nothing.

The figure I've heard for deaths from air pollution in Ireland is about 1300 a year, but what percentage of this is due to NOx, not to mind extra NOx from cheating VAG cars has not been calculated. I suspect it's very small since the regulations allow everyone to emit way more NOx than the tests limits when air temperatures are low.

...I suspect it's very small since the regulations allow everyone to emit way more NOx than the tests limits when air temperatures are low.

Yeah - I've read about GM/Opel/Vauxhall turning their diesels emissions controls off under 16 C. Mercedes is doing that at 10 C. Renault (who also supplies their 1.6D to Mercedes for the C180)  programmed their cars to shut off the emissions control device once air temperatures under the hood exceeded 35C. These practices are supposedly legal to "protect the engine".

So, the regulations allow everyone to emit way more NOx than the tests limits when air temperatures are High as well!.

It's all a bit reminiscent of a child lying to your face and then telling you that was fair because, behind your back, they had their fingers crossed....

C-Lawyer-Morally.gif

"1. Financial matters and what VW may do next

It is unlikely that this claim is worth more than, at most, a few thousand pounds compensation to any of you individually.

We are aware that, to many of you, who wish to set a precedent for powerful companies tempted to cheat the system, that the environmental, consumer and corporate governance issues are as important as financial matters.We will however be arguing for the highest compensation that the law will allow.This will include a claim for exemplary damages.

You should also be aware that at some point it is possible that Volkswagen will attempt to take the wind out of the sails of the action by offering some form of non-monetary settlement to all consumers, not just the Claimants.As a member of the group, you would not be able to accept such an offer independently.

On the other hand, Volkswagen’s conduct since the scandal first broke does not suggest that they have any intention of offering compensation unless they are forced to do so."

The individuals and companies that leased vehicles from the Volkswagen Group might have had cause to complain if the fuel consumption was terrible when the Defeat Device was enabled but seemingly they were not unless under test conditions, 

so it is the World Population that was cheated if anyone was, those driving vehicles or operators were seemingly benefiting.

?

If there were 11 Million Euro 5 Emission VW Group vehicles in the world with defeat devices how many of those were actually owned by VW Group through them Financing them and hiring Leasing them through VW Group Owned Companies?

(They sold off one of their big Leasing Companies in 2015 as the Defeat Device Scandal Broke.)

Lots of polluting vehicles that are now those to be getting 'The Fix' must of been owned ultimately by VW & Investors including Governments with a stake in VW 

and the VW paying compensation would be to VW while the report profit losses.

Although I own one of the affected cars I think that I will bide my time and see what transpires. If the class action does go ahead I will then have to make a decision whether to join in and give a percentage of any monies received to the legel eagles or wait until a precedent has been made in the courts and then apply to Skoda/VW myself (a bit like PPI claims).

Also will any money from VW only be given if you have  the 'fix' done?

After hearing them talk earlier on Jeremy Vine I wouldn't be surprised if they were being bank rolled by VAG to **** up the case and lose. Kind of reminded me of Lionel Hutz, the dodgy lawyer on The Simpsons.

"1. Financial matters and what VW may do next

It is unlikely that this claim is worth more than, at most, a few thousand pounds compensation to any of you individually.

According to Carbuyer and the Daily Mail - Harcus Sinclair and their (now junior) buddies Slater & Gordon are looking for £3,000 each, for 10,000 owners, over the emissions scandal...

That would be £2,100 per owner after they take their percentage - or £9,000,000 for the lawyers if they succeed and nobody else signs up.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/150583/uk-volkswagen-owners-mount-dieselgate-lawsuit

• Like 1

You got to love VW, 

if you google VW now you are likely to see VW I.D. Buzz

The Micro Bus is yet again rolled out when they do not want 'bad news stories' in a google top 10.

That is just how much they use the internet as a means of manipulation.

The real story of VW is still running and has lots more to come out yet.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-38552828

Edited by Offski

Fact............Skoda sold me a car they lied about..

Theyve admitted the offence

Ive no way of knowing what action HMG might take in the next few years, i bought a car with low VED, if that jumps up and my mpg drops (when the cheats fixed) plus the heavy depreciation (extra) caused by the lies from Skoda/VAG I feel some recompense is fair, I dont care if a few legals make a killing, good luck to them.

You should only be compensated for loss.

I don't consider I have sustained any loss - I bought the car I wanted, it performs as expected and is a joy to own and use. The fact that the emission data is incorrect is a concern but doesn't affect the car before or after the 'fix'.

I know we now live in a 'compensation culture' where everyone is to blame except ourselves - but I don't subscribe to that.

• Like 4