Emissions issues with some Skoda, VW, Audi and Seat models

lichfielddriver

So you're turning down £5200 (according to BBC figures) of free money. No I didn't do a PPI claim, or a mis sold your Endowment claim either as it's all morally wrong. And if you believe that....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If People refuse to have the fix done should they still be entitled to any compensation. VW have offered to fix there cars, supposedly,  if owners say No to the fix then VW could say No to compo

Just a  thought

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

If People refuse to have the fix done should they still be entitled to any compensation. VW have offered to fix there cars, supposedly,  if owners say No to the fix then VW could say No to compo

Just a  thought

I can't quite see the logic in that statement as you're basically saying that they should still compensate you even after they've fixed the problem! :S

Perhaps I've worded it wrong, I'm sure you get my drift

Maybe this answer if for 'the other thread' but AFAIA all the 'fix' does is ensure that the the correct emissions are being reported - not that they're being improved. Maybe that's right or maybe that's wrong but as I'm no longer an owner of an affected vehicle, the only relevance to me now is how much my car lost in value due to dieselgate. I suppose that a monetary amount would be nice but in all honesty, the car performed admirably throughout the time I had it and 'these things happen'.

If the fix had been offered before I sold it, I wouldn't have had it done for other reasons though - but I don't think my not wanting (or having) it done should bear any relevance to potential compensation. ;)

• Like 2

If my theory is correct, (no change in performance or economy outside of the U.S.) there won't be any justification for compensation other than for fear, loathing and emotional distress.

Surely it's overdue for actual evidence that the fix has (outside the U.S.) disadvantaged someone, somewhere.

In the absence of that, best of luck

You should only be compensated for loss.

I don't consider I have sustained any loss - I bought the car I wanted, it performs as expected and is a joy to own and use. The fact that the emission data is incorrect is a concern but doesn't affect the car before or after the 'fix'.

I know we now live in a 'compensation culture' where everyone is to blame except ourselves - but I don't subscribe to that.

What about the loss in residual values after the secret came out??? ;)

Where there residual value losses and were there people trading in and selling and suffering them.?

Seemingly Parkers , Autotrader etc said there were not as the Euro 5 emission TDI's were already pretty poor at holding value.

As it is many in the UK would be lease vehicles going back to the owners and heading for Auction so the Solicitors acting on behalf of Owners that disposed of vehicles will know what changes there were in residuals late 2015 and on.

One might be happier when arrests are made in Europe and charges made against some of those 'that knew nothing' or so far have said they knew nothing.

Maybe some might be less prepared to travel to the US now if they have been doing so in the past 18 months.

Where there residual value losses and were there people trading in and selling and suffering them.?

Seemingly Parkers , Autotrader etc said there were not as the Euro 5 emission TDI's were already pretty poor at holding value.

As it is many in the UK would be lease vehicles going back to the owners and heading for Auction so the Solicitors acting on behalf of Owners that disposed of vehicles will know what changes there were in residuals late 2015 and on.

There have been a few mentions in more than one of the many threads on this topic of members getting trade in values a lot lower than book price on affected cars at non VAG dealerships. ;)

Maybe this answer if for 'the other thread' but AFAIA all the 'fix' does is ensure that the the correct emissions are being reported - not that they're being improved. Maybe that's right or maybe that's wrong but as I'm no longer an owner of an affected vehicle, the only relevance to me now is how much my car lost in value due to dieselgate. I suppose that a monetary amount would be nice but in all honesty, the car performed admirably throughout the time I had it and 'these things happen'.

If the fix had been offered before I sold it, I wouldn't have had it done for other reasons though - but I don't think my not wanting (or having) it done should bear any relevance to potential compensation. ;)

Thats wot I meant John Thanks,

AG

Many owners get offers less than book price if going to another manufacturers Main Dealership to buy some other Brand or even Dealerships not interested in offering more than WBAC type valuations.

If you sell them cheaply or trade in that is your choice.

Lawyers or individuals will need more than anecdotal evidence.

If settlement has been already offered and paid in Spain I wonder what the criteria was for accepting as very few of the owners would have had the fix done,also I've just booked my car in for a service online and the first question on the form was "do you want fix done"

I take it you don't have a vehicle affected by the cheat software?

You are right in the sense people didn't care about emissions before they purchased. I for one didn't but before I put my hard earned cash on a new vehicle. However I did buy it for the reason it would have a good resale value and limit my losses in a vehicle. These factors - Low tax (economical), Runs all day (fuel efficient) Better than a petrol for the environment (Appealing). These factors have all disappeared and the death of the diesal is not so unbelievable to us as city's begin applying a new tax levy.

So if Skoda sold me a vehicle on the pretense of those factors but now they want to remove them I shall be entitled to compensation.

I don't understand the protection for VW from individuals in this country, compensation won't be paid from tax payers money it will come from the very large purse of the biggest Car manafacturer in the world.

They've started with this action because there isn't enough ambulances to chase at the moment.

And there's already about 50 different threads spread all over the forum which cover exactly the same things over and over again.

Here's one of the better ones:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/421651-i-could-use-the-money/#entry4790150

In reality - no one cares about the emissions of their car

In this case. The only thing they're after is a quick cash grab.

If we were all that passionate we'd be out protesting the massive amounts of pollution big businesses produce and why the government does little about it or why the government wanted everyone to buy a diesel in the first place and why they are now they're demonising them?

You had best look at the borrowings of the VW Group and from which countries and finacial institutions.

Who actually are those that keep the VW Group afloat and paying Golden Handshakes to those 'That knew Nothing', and the Bonuses to those still there That Knew Nothing.

30,000 employees losing jobs is the very least of things.

?

Has the UK Treasury ever said how much they have tied up in VW & other parts of the Group, or the British Royal Family?

I take it you don't have a vehicle affected by the cheat software?

You are right in the sense people didn't care about emissions before they purchased. I for one didn't but before I put my hard earned cash on a new vehicle. However I did buy it for the reason it would have a good resale value and limit my losses in a vehicle. These factors - Low tax (economical), Runs all day (fuel efficient) Better than a petrol for the environment (Appealing). These factors have all disappeared and the death of the diesal is not so unbelievable to us as city's begin applying a new tax levy.

So if Skoda sold me a vehicle on the pretense of those factors but now they want to remove them I shall be entitled to compensation.

I don't understand the protection for VW from individuals in this country, compensation won't be paid from tax payers money it will come from the very large purse of the biggest Car manafacturer in the world.

You have to firstly separate VW vehicles from the other manufacturers.

If , after the removal, it still meets Euro5 it's in the same boat as the other manufacturers.

All diesel manufacturers claimed all the benefits, none, that I know of, admitted any downsides to mass acceptance of them.

On that basis every diesel manufacturer is in the gun for compensation for the common claims of superiority over petrol.

IF

it passes Euro5 without the cheat, that is

I can't quite see the logic in that statement as you're basically saying that they should still compensate you even after they've fixed the problem! :S

Right now, used car values do not seem to bE affected by the scandal so there is no financial loss to owners, therefore nothing to be compensated for.

If the fix has a measurable negative effect then there may be a case for compensation.

So, owners who have not chosen to get their cars updated could see themselves excludwd from any compensation programme.

• Like 1

Update or no update the vehicle is not meeting the requirements it said on the tin without adverse effects. If it was that easy to meet the requirements why create such an elaborate software fix.

A very dominant company in the motor industry took a big shortcut whilst making a hell load of money .... time to cough up.

• Like 2

Right now, used car values do not seem to bE affected by the scandal so there is no financial loss to owners, therefore nothing to be compensated for.

If the fix has a measurable negative effect then there may be a case for compensation.

So, owners who have not chosen to get their cars updated could see themselves excludwd from any compensation programme.

Thats exactly  what I meant 

Thanks 

AG

I have lost nearly £4000 on the book price of my 2012 Octavia 2.0 tdi VRS DSG purchased in June 2015 and part ex'd last week with 35,000 miles on it, no damage, full history etc. Part Ex value on purchasing the car was £13,100 top end and now £9,300 using both the car dealers part ex calculator and We Buy Any Car. Draw your own conclusions. Certainly the most I've lost on a used car so quick.    

It would have been far cheaper for VW to offer owners of affected cars a far better trade in if buying any VW group made car plus loads of extras, most owners would have been happy with that as it stands their reputation has taken a bit of a battering and whilst hard to say how much of an impact this has had on depreciation of VW group diesels, I would think that it would affect most recent diesels whether or not they had the dodgy software installed or not. I don't think second hand buyers would be that discerning to differentiate between the different cars, they will just see an opportunity to get a bargain if they can buy one of these cars for a bit less than they might have paid before. That plus recent stories about how polluting modern diesels actually are has knocked the whole diesel sector a bit.

• Like 1