Emissions issues with some Skoda, VW, Audi and Seat models

lichfielddriver

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With reference to the Octavia post one up from mine, the Octavia's have taken a financial hammering, I'm well down on mine too, just over three years old, mint, low miles, no trade in value or equity whatsoever as it is on a failed PCP deal, it's going back to Skoda soon unfortunately but a big financial loss to me

I've signed up to the group. 

The stipulation for taking action on our behalf was quite clear, in a nutshell, if we knew about the problems, (including the environmental impact) and the recall, and the potential effects of the recall, would we have bought the car. And the gods honest truth is, no I wouldn't.

I've also had the fix done, and I wish I bloody hadn't. Lost a bit of it's ooomph in normal driving conditions (under 2500 revs, proven by comparison printout from Briskoda forum member), the diesel regen* keeps coming on whilst driving (really annoying, like a phone on vibrate), and furthermore, last night, we filled it up when it had only done 450 miles. It always does 500miles from a tank. We've also found it impossible to get the same MPG on a familiar journey that always got 50mpg+ 

The compensation will help pay for the extra fuel it appears to be using.

Even if I'm mistaken about the MPG, and I don't think I am, the fact that this is a concern, shouldn't be part of the ownership experience..... to go back to the original purpose of the legal case, I wouldn't have chosen this uncertainty and doubt. 

VW are culpable and they should be held to account. In my humble opinion. 

(*This is a guess that it's diesel regen as it's that same noise. )

• Like 1

It would have been far cheaper for VW to offer owners of affected cars a far better trade in if buying any VW group made car plus loads of extras, most owners would have been happy with that as it stands their reputation has taken a bit of a battering and whilst hard to say how much of an impact this has had on depreciation of VW group diesels, I would think that it would affect most recent diesels whether or not they had the dodgy software installed or not. I don't think second hand buyers would be that discerning to differentiate between the different cars, they will just see an opportunity to get a bargain if they can buy one of these cars for a bit less than they might have paid before. That plus recent stories about how polluting modern diesels actually are has knocked the whole diesel sector a bit.

I think the dealers have been giving higher trade ins to keep the sales going. 

With reference to the Octavia post one up from mine, the Octavia's have taken a financial hammering, I'm well down on mine too, just over three years old, mint, low miles, no trade in value or equity whatsoever as it is on a failed PCP deal, it's going back to Skoda soon unfortunately but a big financial loss to me

I knew I was going to take a hammering too which would limit my next purchase. I took the hit rather than continuing having to deal with the shoddy build quality and cost cutting I've experienced with the Octavia. Every car I've previously owned I've been sad to see it go especially the 10 year old Mondeo the Skoda replaced. I'm not sad to see the Octavia go, in fact I was almost skipping with joy.

There's not much point in a longer lasting structure in the modern disposable world of today sadly

Constant demand for the latest features is also killing resale values

Edited by Ryeman

Probably true but the replacement car is the same mileage, 6 months newer and not a squeak or rattle anywhere. Despite it having even lower profile tyres it is much quieter in the cabin and the ride smoother over broken roads. The most I managed from the Octavia was 53mpg on the motorway driving very carefully, extremely pleased to have surpassed that in a heavier and more powerful car yet only driven my commute so far which is lots of stop and start. 

it's a no win no fee , they get %30 of any "winnings", as opposed to getting nothing

My agreement states 25% (including VAT) of any compensation paid as their fee.

"We do not charge you a penny if we do not win your claim!

If we win, we limit our fees to what we recover from the other party (I believe most Solicitors are not prepared to limit their legal fees in this way) other than a success fee charge which is capped at a maximum of 25% inclusive of VAT of your compensation (so the success fee might be less than 25% inclusive of VAT of your compensation but it cannot be any higher)! This gives you added protection in that you know from the outset that you do not pay any shortfall in fees that cannot be recovered from the opponent and will only pay us no more than 25% inclusive of VAT of your compensation.

Under English Law, there is a principle referred to as the ‘Indemnity Principle’ which means that you must have a liability in respect of our fees in order for us to be able to charge them to the other party at the successful conclusion of a claim. If I do not have an agreement with you, I cannot charge them a single penny."

I've always thought 'no win no fee' didn't necessarily mean no cost from the other side if you lost.

If the case loses, the solicitor will take the hit. The only risk for the claimants is if the solicitor goes bankrupt. Then VW could chase the legal fee's from the individuals. If the case is succesful, they take the 30% off our compensation. The other consideration is that if VW come forward and say,

"ah, go on then, have £1000 each" we can't take it. it would cost us to drop out of the case. We have to see it through to it's bitter conclusion. 

• Like 1

The UK Government / DfT need to get on with what ever actions they are taking on VW Group on behalf of the UK's population and not just owners of 1.2, 1.6 & 2.0 Euro 5 TDI's.

After all the UK Government are the ones that the EU Commission are supposedly taking to court.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-38247779

As to the Law firms taking cases to an English or Welsh court, is there any mention of any Scottish Law Firm raising something in a Scottish Court?

??

What is the story mentioned earlier about anything paid out in Spain?

EDIT, Spain.

http://thelocal.de/20160709/spain-judge-charges-volkswagen-with-fraud-over-emissions

http://caremissionslawyers.co.uk/blog/vw-owner-receives-5000-euros-against-vw-for-emissions-scandal

Edited by Offski

The UK Government / DfT need to get on with what ever actions they are taking on VW Group on behalf of the UK's population and not just owners of 1.2, 1.6 & 2.0 Euro 5 TDI's.

After all the UK Government are the ones that the EU Commission are supposedly taking to court.

As to the Law firms taking cases to an English or Welsh court, is there any mention of any Scottish Law Firm raising something in a Scottish Court?

??

EDIT, Spain.

http://thelocal.de/20160709/spain-judge-charges-volkswagen-with-fraud-over-emissions

http://caremissionslawyers.co.uk/blog/vw-owner-receives-5000-euro-against-vw-for-emissions-scandal

A bit like a PPI claim - get Martin Lewis on the case for the consumer!

George,

Guess your 66plate Seat Alhambra 2.0 TDI will be non-qualifying vehicle under the VAG Recall process.

• Like 1

No,

just qualifies one as a UK Ex Pat lounging around in Spain living the good life pre BREXIT looking for some other way to get payouts via a Spanish Court.

• Like 1

??

EDIT, Spain.

http://caremissionslawyers.co.uk/blog/vw-owner-receives-5000-euros-against-vw-for-emissions-scandal

This is what I don't understand. Why are the EU taking legal action with member states when the emissions regulations VAG have fiddled are set by the EU not member states ? In a similar case http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832521 the EU fined the company directly in the same way they have with Apple and Microsoft.  

So.... dieselGate legals want me to pin an advert pinned sticky for them...

One for the panel to decide :)

It would seem that Briskoda were endorsing this action if it pins the advert for this case. No doubt the advertising revenue will help you run this fine forum but I think it is a fine line for the forum as you also have the manufacturer who you've built relations with too. Let them join as members and debate with the people on here.

This is what I don't understand. Why are the EU taking legal action with member states when the emissions regulations VAG have fiddled are set by the EU not member states ? In a similar case http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36832521 the EU fined the company directly in the same way they have with Apple and Microsoft.  

The EU doesn't have its own centralised testing body for checking that vehicles and components meet the type approval requirements. This is performed by registered testing bodies in member states. The EU's contention with the member states here is that they didn't provide sufficient oversight of the testers to ensure that type approvals were being legitimately awarded.

That being said, I'm not sure how VAG's defeat device would have been picked up by anyone operating to the test protocol in place for EU5 since it was only revealed by on-road testing, something the EU5 standard doesn't require.

• Like 1

VWG the 3 Monkeys, See, Hear & never ever say any Evil.

Unless you get a deal as a whistle blower.

*At 32 mins on if bored but want to know what the Head of VW UK says about expense to Owners, he refers to Customers.*

46 minutes and you can see Sir useless MP and Secretary for Transport at the time talk about an 'Illegal Device', then he got a better job and now is Chairman of the Conservative & Unionist Party as well as a Peer.  Useful & Useless rolled intop one who was in Transport decades back and knows all anout Emissions TEsting and Diesels.

Edited by Offski

on google in October.vag say they will appeal

MADRID -- A Spanish court on Wednesday ordered two Volkswagen Group subsidiaries in Spain to pay 5,000 euros ($5,458) to a buyer of an Audi Q5 which had altered emissions software.

The court said in its ruling that the buyer was seeking compensation since his car had software which made its exhaust emissions tests appear cleaner in testing than they really were.

It marks the first time a Spanish judge has ruled in favor of a buyer of a VW Group car with altered emissions software.

Edited by Sad555

CWARD quote. " It would seem that Briskoda were endorsing this action if it pins the advert for this case. No doubt the advertising revenue will help you run this fine forum but I think it is a fine line for the forum as you also have the manufacturer who you've built relations with too.Let them join as members and debate with the people on here. "....................................... Perhaps VAG could also join as members and explain to us how they cheated their customers,paid billions$ in fines to the US government and compensation to US customers but not us,and are legal firms making money from cases any worse than VAG group lying and cheating to everyone for the sake of profit,which they will have to make a lot more of out of customers to recover from the expense in billions€ to the company from their world wide lying and cheating.

Edited by Sad555

A well reasoned decision. As you've said short term gain for some that could be a cost to others in the future. Plenty of debate with strong arguments put forward on both sides of this forum for people to make their own minds up.

Anyone thinking of putting themselves forward for legal action then do your research before committing to any group action. I would start with listening to the Jeremy Vine show from earlier in this week to see if this is the person you want arguing on your behalf.