Michelin Crossclimate tyres

Clive

You did not say what Fabia or wheel tyre size, but you can get Michelin CrossClimate+ for a Fabia but you would need to go to 15" wheels,

so 195/55 R15

A good size, i had that on a vRS in the past with Snow tyres and i would use CrossClimates in that size if i wanted them on.

• 4 months later...
On Friday, September 01, 2017 at 12:20, silasramsbottom said:

Where did you get them at that price?

I'm going to get them for my Golf (205/55/16) but cheapest I've seen is £87 per tyre, supplied and fitted.

i'd have to check the invoice but think it was mytyres....   or pneus online as i know ive used both recentl.  both seem to be pricier now though!

22 hours ago, skomaz said:

i'd have to check the invoice but think it was mytyres....   or pneus online as i know ive used both recentl.  both seem to be pricier now though!

Cool. I ended up paying £86 per tyre + balancing and fitting. 

Went for for a couple of runs since having them fitted and am so far very impressed. Very little noise and the car (mk7 Golf) is smoother than it's ever been. 

1 hour ago, silasramsbottom said:

Cool. I ended up paying £86 per tyre + balancing and fitting. 

Went for for a couple of runs since having them fitted and am so far very impressed. Very little noise and the car (mk7 Golf) is smoother than it's ever been. 

I meant £86 per tyre was inclusive of balancing, fitting and whatever. 

If I'm still happy with these in a couple of months then I think I'll put a set on my mkII Octavia as well. 

1 minute ago, silasramsbottom said:

I meant £86 per tyre was inclusive of balancing, fitting and whatever. 

If I'm still happy with these in a couple of months then I think I'll put a set on my mkII Octavia as well. 

thats still not a bad price all in

ive been very impressed with them.  quiet, grippy, very stable in the wet...   and good in the dry...   cant really ask formore

i've had the CrossClimates fitted on the front of the Fab to replace the Good Year Vector 4 Seasons i had before. 

Obviously the weathers not got bad to test the winter ability yet.. but the dry and wet grip is brilliant. The steering response is soo much better than the Vectors aswel.. so much more precise. 

They drive like a summer tyre... im yet to see the bad weather capabilities. 

Had a trip out last week actually and my mate was really surprised how well it gripped. The car rolls but the tyres just keep gripping. 

• Thanks 1

I took the plunge last year and bought four for my Superb (225/40/18), noticed a slight increase in noise level but put that down to the tread pattern, anyway it's quietened down or I've got used to it.

Overall, the performance of the tyre seems to be very good, even in the awful rain we have been having they perform really well. Fuel economy hasn't decreased overall and the wear rates are impressive. Still lots of life left in the fronts after 18,000 miles.

It was a bit of a catch your breath moment when they were fitted, I seem to remember a bill for £560 including a 4 wheel alignment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2017 at 22:10, fabiamk2SE said:

i've had the CrossClimates fitted on the front of the Fab to replace the Good Year Vector 4 Seasons i had before. 

Obviously the weathers not got bad to test the winter ability yet.. but the dry and wet grip is brilliant. The steering response is soo much better than the Vectors aswel.. so much more precise. 

They drive like a summer tyre... im yet to see the bad weather capabilities. 

Had a trip out last week actually and my mate was really surprised how well it gripped. The car rolls but the tyres just keep gripping. 

Were they the 4seasons G2 or G1?

Curious as I settled on the goodyear G2s this time instead of Xclimates.

1 minute ago, bspman said:

Were they the 4seasons G2 or G1?

Curious as I settled on the goodyear G2s this time instead of Xclimates.

1's. i bought them in january 2015 i think it was. 

I was tempted for the 2's but i wanted something abit sharper than what i'd had.. they got vague when pushed. I've no doubt the 2's could be loads better in that respect but you cant try before you buy with tyres can you.. so i found the crossclimates a safer bet, as they're based on summer tyres. 

How are you finding your 4 seasons? 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 18:44, fabiamk2SE said:

How are you finding your 4 seasons? 

Coming from Bridgestone Turanzas I thought that they didn't feel as sharp (and as you say, a bit vague) in the dry. There were a hell of a lot more quiet though!

Wet weather handling felt good. better than Turanzas IMO. 

May try out Xclimates next time :)

• Like 1

I had 1st gen Vector 4Seasons and replaced them two at a time with Quatrac 3's and 5's as the V4S's wore down but didn't notice much difference between them almost same price too but just fancied a change. 

I would say say that from various posts I've read, some people need to remember that an all-season tyre is always going to be a compromise - it's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none tyre. So it's likely it'll fare worse in summer over a summer tyre but be better in cold/wet weather than a summer but not as good as a winter. Michelin are trying to overcome that with the Cross Climates to minimise the difference. 

Also, I'd say drive to the conditions - don't rely on all-seasons to get you out of trouble when you shouldn't be hooning about in poor weather anyway. Equally, I'd also say that if you are a more sedate driver, I'd still go for the best tyre you can. It's not all about driving quickly, but the better performance offered if you had to do an emergency stop, hit a patch of standing water or swerve out of the way of something unexpected.

The Cross Climates do get a good write-up and I'll definitely consider them in the future. 

On 4/19/2017 at 23:12, bigjohn said:

I have a set of Continental summer tyres (Original PremiumContact 2E - now about 38k miles ) and Continental tyres (TS 850 now about 6k miles)

The summer tyres are about due for replacement (scrubbed inside edge at rear whilst fullly laden - centre still over 5mm.

I've heard lots of reports/reviews of the Cross Climates in the winter but what are they like in the summer?

I did fit a set of Cross Climates earlier in the year so have only driven in the summer but thus far I'm impressed

• Wet weather performance is outstanding
  • Generally great grip
  • They are very quiet indeed
  • Seem to be wearing well even though the tread seems softer (You only start with 7mm but only seem to be about 6mm after 9,000 miles - time will tell)
  • Worked well in hot weather driving in Europe

Saying that on my previous superb I ran some Quatrac 5's which are still going strong with it's new owner although they have never been fantastic in wet weather and feel/sound "different" compared to the previous summer tyres (Micheling Energy I seem to remember). I fitted these at about 163,000 miles and they are still on the car at about 200,000 miles,

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Mine after a year of driving are down to 6mm (all round - front and back) - that's about 18K miles - so wear is good and really can't complain - although not had any significant snow or ice to contend with since fitting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just taken the very painful plunge on a set of these 235/45 r18 at £660 for 4. 

We will be driving the car each year to the alps in Feb but apart from this I don't do a huge number of miles.  So I'm hoping that these will last the length of my 3 year lease (8k per year) with maybe the last spring/summer back on the original Pirelli's.  I spoke with VWFS about taking the car abroad, all was good.  I mentioned that I was going to put different tyres on it and they said I could, as long as I handed the car back with original brand tyres.

It feels odd taking brand new tyres off a car but they aren't great and I reckon I'll need new tyres at some point during the lease - this way I get the most miles out of the better tyres

so that I can hand the car back on the sub par pirelli's.

I did look at buying dedicated winter tyres and swapping them.  I'd do 6 swaps in total and a quick phone around the local places told me that this would cost me £360-400 total.  Hence me being willing to pay the extra for the crossclimates.  Even if I got pretty cheap (~£100) winter tyres I'd still be worse off in the long run.

• Like 1

had chance to test the CrossClimates in a little bit of snow last weekend. 

There wasnt much but It was slippy. It never got stuck but it did struggle up some of the hills. Not sure they're as good in the snow as the Vector 4 Seasons and certainly no where near as good as full on winter tyres.. but the trade off for the summer handling is still well worth it imo. 

After reading all of the reviews I have just replaced the original 205/55 R16 Continental Sport Contact 2 (IIRC) tyres after 33000 miles with Crossclimates. I hope that they last as long as the Continental which still had about 3mm of tread left. I had moved them front to back about halfway through their life.

The mechanic that fitted them, I did not use one of the big tyre places, asked whether I knew what they looked like. I said yes and he said that some of his customers comment that they do not like the look of their chosen new tyres, not specifically Crossclimates, after they have been fitted. To me it is more important how the tyres grip the road and perform than their looks although the Crossclimates do look a bit like small tractor tyres but other people obviously think differently.

Also the place that fitted them is an independent garage that uses real mechanics who know how to jack up a car properly and did not mark my alloys. It was worth paying a bit more for that piece of mind.

I quite like the look in the pictures - purposeful :)  Still waiting for them to be delivered, then in the boot and off to a tyre fitter.  A local place charges £15 per wheel.  I'll offer the fitter a £20 cash bonus if he doesn't damage any wheels :sweat: