Michelin Crossclimate tyres

Clive

On 08/12/2017 at 09:26, Liger1956 said:

I am running 205/55 R16 Crossclimates and I have read that you should increase the tyre pressures in winter tyres by 0.2 bar.

Is this necessary for the Crossclimates?

I run mine slightly higher. I find it sharpens the handling up further. 

21 hours ago, dg360 said:

My crossclimates were delivered during a heavy snow shower B)

Delivery guy: hope these are snow tyres mate

Me (smug): almost

Just waiting for the fitters to finish fitting.

:D  

this weekend will be a real tester. 

Got about 200 mile to do tomorrow so that might test them around the derbyshire hills. 

Could do with a fiat panda 4x4 with winters on all round in this weather really :D  

Just paid for four of the CC+ to be fitted this coming Wednesday. For my Superb (235/45/18Y) it was over £750 at the cheapest place. :wondering:  That does include balancing, wheel alignment and insurance for non-repairable punctures though (which precludes the need to pay for a spare as I have full RAC cover). Still we're buried under snow and hail atm, with a bad winter predicted, and I do like to press on. What price your kids' safety etc etc? 

I fitted a full set in September 225/45/17 cost was £135 per corner, all in. Dry performance is at least a match for the std fit Pirelli cinturato and a bit quieter. As we had snow yesterday here in Staffordshire I did manage a run out on the white stuff and they were fine on new laid snow. The toughest test was an uphill bend over a railway bridge, quite steep and tight, no wheelspin or slip detected or flashing lights on the dash. As long as wear is ok I would fit them again.       

P1010292.thumb.jpg.0b54d3c2b3900b16c94eab61235c3649.jpg

We ventuted into deepest, Northest Wales today to take the kids sledging. 

10" of snow on the field we were sledging down :)

Not even a single flicker from the traction control. Even when we parked up at Loggerheads on the untreated car park covered in ice, snow and slush.

Very happy customer so far.

• Like 2

It was Icy here on Friday (lots of cars stuck and slipping on a slight incline) but we sailed past them on the Cross Climates.  Also snowy here today (just a couple of inches on top of frozen slush ) and again no issues.

I know the 4x4 helps but no flickering of the TC at all so most impressed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skomaz said:

It was Icy here on Friday (lots of cars stuck and slipping on a slight incline) but we sailed past them on the Cross Climates.  Also snowy here today (just a couple of inches on top of frozen slush ) and again no issues.

I know the 4x4 helps but no flickering of the TC at all so most impressed.

That wont get stuck until it bottoms out with lack of ground clearance mate. 

12 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

That wont get stuck until it bottoms out with lack of ground clearance mate. 

that's what I'm hoping, although it did manage about 18" a few years ago on summer tyres...   shuld be pretty much unstoppable now (within reason).

Edited by skomaz

• 1 month later...

Shortly after buying my new Superb Combi in May 2015 I changed the wheels from 18s to 16s and bought 205/55/R16 Cross Climates.  I had gone 750 miles.  Just replaced them today with same tyres at 34,500 miles for £327.00 fitted, all inclusive, from Blackcircles.  As a pensioner I feel that they have more than paid their way.

• Like 1

I ran CCs for three years on my previous wagon. As others have said, they performed well in the normal mix of weather. However, having used full winter tyres in the past, I found the CCs were nowhere near as good in full snow. I would put them at about 70% of proper winters.

So my tyre strategy evolved to running the CCs on the back (car was FWD) and swapping between summer and winter tyres on the front. That was a good compromise for me as it saved buying 4 tyres. Also the CCs improved the handling in full snow conditions, compared to having normal tyres on the back. When the time comes, I will probably take the same approach with my Superb.

Repeating a comment I put on another thread, it's worth checking which wheel & tyre combinations for your car can fit chains. I was surprised to discover that the standard wheels on my Superb II do not have sufficient clearance for chains (at least, I assume that's why Skoda state that chains cannot be fitted). Fortunately my winter wheels are slightly narrower and with less offset than the standards so I can fit my chains - although it's struggle, even on dry, flat ground. There ain't a lot of room!

So, if you are looking at buying winter tyres, best check which size(s) will accept chains.

8 hours ago, MikeHig said:

I ran CCs for three years on my previous wagon. As others have said, they performed well in the normal mix of weather. However, having used full winter tyres in the past, I found the CCs were nowhere near as good in full snow. I would put them at about 70% of proper winters.

So my tyre strategy evolved to running the CCs on the back (car was FWD) and swapping between summer and winter tyres on the front. That was a good compromise for me as it saved buying 4 tyres. Also the CCs improved the handling in full snow conditions, compared to having normal tyres on the back. When the time comes, I will probably take the same approach with my Superb.

Repeating a comment I put on another thread, it's worth checking which wheel & tyre combinations for your car can fit chains. I was surprised to discover that the standard wheels on my Superb II do not have sufficient clearance for chains (at least, I assume that's why Skoda state that chains cannot be fitted). Fortunately my winter wheels are slightly narrower and with less offset than the standards so I can fit my chains - although it's struggle, even on dry, flat ground. There ain't a lot of room!

So, if you are looking at buying winter tyres, best check which size(s) will accept chains.

Id agree with that. 

The snow performance is a compromise for the sharp summer tyre like handling. 

For me, its enough snow performance. Ive never been stuck yet and we’ve had quite abit ib the Peaks this year. 

Winters are better in the snow but changing tyres is a pain and running winters all year round has much bigger drawbacks. 

fabiamk2SE;  Yes, CCs are fine for the majority of UK conditions, imho.

For the last year with my previous car my summer tyres had worn out so I used the CCs on the front with the winters on the back from Spring til late Autumn and then swapped them round for Winter. That worked fine as the relatively weak performance of the winters in Summer conditions was not noticeable on the back axle and they did not wear appreciably.

• 1 month later...

I have taken the plunge on 4 Crossclimate + in 205/55 16 on my Superb Greenline 3. All I can comment on is their performance in dry and wet and a little bit of sub 7c tenperatures. Wow, the comparison between these and my budget summer tyres is night and day. 

The biggest improvement has been steering feel and 'turn in' - just point and it goes.

Handling in the wet is great, i bottled it before the car did when trying to push a little understeer. I'm a bit of a grandad driver so brakes are never tested.

Noise is good but not hugely quieter than the budgets and it's a little too early to comment on wear.

My better half commented on how 'knarly' the tread looks, so I guess that's another plus.

These obviously won't contend with genuine winter tyres but if you drive with that in mind, in a ' UK winter 'you will be ahead of 99% of the pack. If the snow is that bad, I refuse to drive anyway.

Hopefully these wear well.

• 3 weeks later...

I had 4 CrossClimate+ fitted to my Octavia Estate 2.0TDI CR yesterday after reading this thread and getting opinions on them in the Facebook group.

So far I've only driven to work (about 17 miles) on dry/greasy roads and they feel so much more assured than the BF Goodrich/Avon/Dunlops they replaced.

Can't comment on the Octavia specifically but before that I was driving a 2.0TDCi Focus Estate (owned it for 6.5 years) and over that time I used Uniroyals (good/excellent but wore really quickly), Hankooks (decent enough tyres, lasted longer than the Uniroyals but still nothing to write home about) and Falkens (surprised by these tbh.... around £10 a tyre cheaper than the others but offered good grip/feel and were wearing better than the Hankooks & Uniroyals).

I ended up paying around £95 a tyre (Black Circles has them for £105 each but £40 off if you bought 4) for the Michelins (225/45/17 W 94L) so they were about £20 -£25 a corner dearer than the mid-range tyres I's previously used BUT at the moment they definitely feel worth it.

If they last as long as they're meant to, they'll actually work out cheaper than the mid-range tyres too :)

On 4/27/2018 at 12:16, Russ77 said:

I had 4 CrossClimate+ fitted to my Octavia Estate 2.0TDI CR yesterday after reading this thread and getting opinions on them in the Facebook group.

So far I've only driven to work (about 17 miles) on dry/greasy roads and they feel so much more assured than the BF Goodrich/Avon/Dunlops they replaced.

Can't comment on the Octavia specifically but before that I was driving a 2.0TDCi Focus Estate (owned it for 6.5 years) and over that time I used Uniroyals (good/excellent but wore really quickly), Hankooks (decent enough tyres, lasted longer than the Uniroyals but still nothing to write home about) and Falkens (surprised by these tbh.... around £10 a tyre cheaper than the others but offered good grip/feel and were wearing better than the Hankooks & Uniroyals).

I ended up paying around £95 a tyre (Black Circles has them for £105 each but £40 off if you bought 4) for the Michelins (225/45/17 W 94L) so they were about £20 -£25 a corner dearer than the mid-range tyres I's previously used BUT at the moment they definitely feel worth it.

If they last as long as they're meant to, they'll actually work out cheaper than the mid-range tyres too :)

Well the good old UK climate did it's thing yesterday and my park of Essex was treated to a day of wind, rain and 5c!!!

Not that I pushed that hard as I'm conscious the tyres may be still be carrying a little release agent but in the wet & cold conditions they were holding the road very well indeed.

Hit some standing water probably a little faster than I'd have liked if I'm honest but there wasn't a hint of aquaplaning.

So far so good!

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, OctyEstatevRS said:

How are these doing now that its warm?

Mine seem to be doing fine, hadn't really given them a second thought tbh :)

4 hours ago, Russ77 said:

Mine seem to be doing fine, hadn't really given them a second thought tbh :)

Same here - very good over the last couple of summers with no discernible difference.

On 24/06/2018 at 10:48, OctyEstatevRS said:

How are these doing now that its warm?

Just like a summer tyre. 

They arent a soft compound like a winter so not much of a trade off in warm weather 

• 1 month later...

All 4 of my tyres are due for renewal and I intend to get a set of these in.  Before I had over the cash are there any other manufacturers with a similar offering?   

14 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

All 4 of my tyres are due for renewal and I intend to get a set of these in.  Before I had over the cash are there any other manufacturers with a similar offering?   

Yeah Goodyear Vector 4's are close but a little more winter biased. Reviews report less feel and steering response from the vectors in summer but with a slightly better performance in winter.

• Like 1