Michelin Crossclimate tyres

Clive

44 minutes ago, dg360 said:

This good news. I've done 8k on mine now. Hope to have at least 15k left to go. My only concern is what they will be like in the snow as they get low.

Michelin thinks they're good in snow right down to 2.1 mm

https://www.michelin.co.uk/michelin-tyre-performances/long-lasting-performances. (see note 4)

11000 miles on average longer lasting than competitors they claim too.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimateplus

But they are expensive.

Edited by xman

14 hours ago, sneeks said:

I’ve driven 22,000 miles on my Crossclimate tyres on the front wheels and they are now needing replaced. I’m happy with the wear and in the snow earlier this year they were fantastic.

I would suggest doing a front to back swap at around 12-15k miles    (bit less on 4wd Haldex cars)

Avoids the problem of uneven wear and tends to mean likely to get to 30k miles before any need replacing

• Like 1

As michelin claim these tyres are safe down to 1.6mm I tend on experimenting with this. It's a damn bold claim for a huge company... I can't imagine they would have said this if it wasn't true...  I imagine they would be in serious doo-doo if something went wrong

4 hours ago, Shaunieboy said:

As michelin claim these tyres are safe down to 1.6mm

Are you sure? The 1.6mm is the UK legal limit, and I've yet to find any tyre that doesn't show significantly increased liability to aquaplaning when worn below 2mm.

2 minutes ago, xman said:

Which is very nice, but glosses over the facts that some EU nations (eg Germany I think requires 3mm) demand a higher wear limit, most manufacturers do (or did) set the TWIs at 2mm remaining, and that my Octy fires the ASR and ABS more frequently when the tyres are worn below 2mm.

Germany or rather their mega tyre companies (CONTI) are lobbying to change it to 3mm.

Years ago most standard tyres were 8mm when new. Now most are just 7mm.

So where do you think this is all leading?

Its about money more than safety

IIRC I believe Michelin did a europe wide analysis of RTAs and concluded that tyres that had low tread were not significantly different to full treaded tyres in accident rate or something like that.

Note that Michelin are also pushing for legislation to have worn tyre performance tests mandated and published. That would sort the budget and poor (and supposedly good) brands from the really good guys.

Should, god forbid, a 3mm rule come in, then as accurate measurement across a tyre according to rules, is difficult and prone to error and lots of tyres wear unevenly, many tyres will by default be changed at 4mm or more.

New tyres every MOT?

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Germany or rather their mega tyre companies (CONTI) are lobbying to change it to 3mm.

Years ago most standard tyres were 8mm when new. Now most are just 7mm.

So where do you think this is all leading?

Its about money more than safety

IIRC I believe Michelin did a europe wide analysis of RTAs and concluded that tyres that had low tread were not significantly different to full treaded tyres in accident rate or something like that.

Note that Michelin are also pushing for legislation to have worn tyre performance tests mandated and published. That would sort the budget and poor (and supposedly good) brands from the really good guys.

Should, god forbid, a 3mm rule come in, then as accurate measurement across a tyre according to rules, is difficult and prone to error and lots of tyres wear unevenly, many tyres will by default be changed at 4mm or more.

New tyres every MOT?

Yes, some sort of 'Worn Performance' rating stamp should be applicable if new legislation comes in.

If a manufacturer can prove their tyre at 1.6mm can perform the same as a budget brand at 4mm then surely the legal limit should be on a tyre to tyre basis.

E.g. Crossclimates Premium 1.6mm,

Avon Midrange 2.2mm,

'Roadshine Facesmile' Budget 4mm.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shaunieboy said:

If a manufacturer can prove their tyre at 1.6mm can perform the same as a budget brand at 4mm then surely the legal limit should be on a tyre to tyre basis.

Nice idea but completely impractical when it comes to roadside enforcement however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Nice idea but completely impractical when it comes to roadside enforcement however.

It could be a physical stamp, like the Snow and Ice stamp on winter tyres. Each tyre had a legal requirement to have the minimum tread rating stamped on in the rubber (obviously as I said above, each tyre manufacturer would need to be officially tested and rated)

Obviously Germany would have higher standards because the have ‘unlimited’ sections with no exclusions 

France/Michelin/130kph - they have would know.

.......and in Britain nobody goes within 10mph of the French now.....do they........hmmm

Edited by Ryeman

I think the only difference between the CrossClimate and the CrossClimate + is the performance when worn. Supposedly the + is better further down the tread, somehow. 

How long should they last...Wouldnt that depend massively on what car they're fitted to and how its driven.  I mean, you wouldnt expect a diesel VRS to eat tyres at the same rate as a 1.0 citygo. 

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:40, MarkyD said:

Personally gone for Bridgestone A005 this time around but potential savings on Michelin tyres https://marketing.michelin.co.uk/visa-autumn-2018-uk/

Michelin - Only on 16" and larger!

How are you getting on with the Weather Control tyres, the wet and dry statistics look good but there are some negative comments about snow performance (not that you'd have had a chance to test that yet)

Smileyman.

I bought the Bridgestone A005  before any reviews because I needed new tyres and they were available for a good price. I had several sets of the previous A001 5 years ago then Crossclimate then several sets of Nokian Weatherproof. The new Auto Bild All season test 2018 puts the A005 first for wet and dry beating the previous winner the Crossclimate.  It looks that snow running is rated worse than the Weatherproof and even the Crossclimate. However my main requirements are for good stopping  on wet muddy roads and resistance to aquaplaning with standing water collected on nearside of road and run off from fields across roads. I really liked the Nokian Weatherproof  and also found them totally reassuring in the last snow and icy conditions however wanted better wet braking so looks like I am giving up some snow ability for dry and wet ability. I have a set of the Goodyear 4 season2 if we have snow.

First impressions over 600 miles are very good against aquaplaning, good grip on muddy slippy roads but a bit more noisy than the Weatherproofs. 

M

I’m very tempted by the Bridgestone but the biggest issue I have is sizes. The sportline comes with 235/40/19 as standard and it appears this is a no no for all three brands. I have tried to see if there is another similar size which would fit on the 19” rims but I can’t seem to find this info easily 

I’m starting to stress as ‘Winter is Coming’ to quote the king of the north

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to Marky D for your comments.

I'm in Kent, it does not snow often but when it does I want to be prepared. I will always remember from 2010 when many motorists got stuck on the A249 and had to abandon their cars overnight, next morning the Council towed the cars away before the drivers could get to them and they all received very expensive recovery charges.

That year I went to visit family in French alps, fitted Nokian WRG2 tyres and drove through snowy conditions almost as if it was dry road. Following change of car I am yet to purchase tyres for this winter, have original spec 185/60/15 wheels ready, yet to buy tyres but will do soon. No plans to visit France this winter so not getting stuck is my priority, these Bridgestone with superior wet and dry road characteristics seem to be ideal. Also, I want to avoid annual wheel swaps ... especially more so as the factory fit tyres will need to be replaced in the next few months. There is poor choice of tyre for size 215/40/17 and prices are much higher / quality lower whatever is selected. The car I drive came with 15,16 or 17 inch wheels dependant on model spec, the spare is 185/60/15 so I know these will fit all wheels.  The alternative would be the  CrossClimate which gets good reviews. (neither are available to fit 16" or 17" size wheels)

• 6 months later...

Looks like Michelin have been revising the range of tyre sizes in Cross Climate and CrossClimate Plus

Cross Climate 14 inch (just 5 sizes left)

165/70 R14 85T

175/65 R14 86H

175/70 R14 88T

185/60 R14 86H

185/65 R14 86H

Cross Climate 18 inch (single size remains)

225/55 R18 102V AO

Cross Climate Plus (48 sizes)

15 inch 11 sizes now available

16 inch 13 sizes now available

17 inch 16 sizes now available

18 inch 7 sizes now available

19 inch 1 size now available

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/crossclimate-plus

I did a bit of spirited driving in the past few days and a good few miles in the rain.

Both in AWD & RWD on Pirelli Zero Scorpions that are 285/55 R 15. 

Stuff that for a game of soldiers.

So i ordered from 'Black Circle' today a set of 265/60 R 18 CrossClimate SUV.   There was a Flash Sale and 10% off the price fitted that was already cheaper than others had on offer.

£618.20 for 4 fitted. £154.55 each.

These will be the widest that i will have tried but past experience has been good with narrower CrossClimate so i will see how these are once fitted and tried in the wet, then in the cold when that happens, probably next week just after a bit of warm weather then days of torrential rain.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

@SurreyJohn

There are CrossClimate SUV sizes.

http://michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/crossclimate-suv

http://greencarguide.co.uk/features/michelin-crossclimate-all-season-tyre-review

http://greencarguide.co.uk/features/one-easy-way-to-avoid-getting-stuck-in-snow

EDIT.

Epic. The tyre fitter has had to fight to get each tyre fitted to the rims. Putting in a tube to get them to seat, then removing the tube and putting the tyre back on.  Worth it though hopefully.   Car still on ramp. 

DSCN3659.JPG

Screenshot 2019-05-31 at 13.36.28.png

DSCN3499.JPG.f1a0d7c773754e630766a4bddd89df8f.JPG

DSCN3661.JPG

DSCN3662.JPG

Edited by Skoffski