Michelin Crossclimate tyres

Clive

On 12/08/2018 at 15:50, Hannibal said:

All 4 of my tyres are due for renewal and I intend to get a set of these in.  Before I had over the cash are there any other manufacturers with a similar offering?   

I've ordered a set of 18"Conti All-SeasonContacts as there's no CrossClimate available in the size I need, and my new car doesn't really allow for conversion sizes (stock 19" 35 profile).

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 were also an option, but I went with the Contis because of their technology (Conti winters always get great reviews) and I would pick a higher riding car in full snow.  I wanted something that could put down Haldex traction for most conditions. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I've been running my CrossClimates for nearly 4 months now (around 4000 miles) and with the inevitable breakdown in the unusual summer heatwave the UK has experienced for the last couple of months, had my first real test of them in the rain.  Well when I said rain, I mean conditions that would have been better suited to sailing a boat in.

I'm please to report that with lots of standing water and sensible speeds, there wasn't a hint of aquaplaning (there was a particular section leaving work where my old car used to give it a go in heavy rain as reasonably low speeds) and they still felt very assured.

I've also done a couple of motorway runs and even at speed they were nice and quiet.

At the moment I still can't rate these tyres highly enough :)

• Like 2

I've had CrossClimates on my last car, a Saab 93, and I put them on my wife's Leon.

The tread lasts well, I find them reasonably comfortable and quiet, and last winter with the bad snow the Leon was like a mountain goat with them.

I put them on the Octavia last weekend, seems to be a new compound CrossClimate+, but I noticed a good difference even in noise from the 2x conti, 1x pirelli and 1x cheapo that they replaced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I've ordered a set of 18"Conti All-SeasonContacts as there's no CrossClimate available in the size I need, and my new car doesn't really allow for conversion sizes (stock 19" 35 profile).

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 were also an option, but I went with the Contis because of their technology (Conti winters always get great reviews) and I would pick a higher riding car in full snow.  I wanted something that could put down Haldex traction for most conditions. Time will tell.

The conti's I can't get in my size (235 45 18).  Looking into the Bridgestone.  

Can't fault the crossclimates at all.  I managed a hair over 50MPG in my 220 Superb the other day over 31 miles, so they can't even be that inefficient. 

If they are for the van Hanibal, go for it.  BA will be well chuffed and you'll be ready for anything Decker throws at you.  They probably look great with the crossclimate logo done in whitewall paint too.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to have Crossclimates on my old Superb on 18” rims and couldn’t fault them except for one time during the beast back we do live on a hill and that wall was there to help me break :@

I'm just sad now as the new Sportline has 19” so know CC+ for me :crying: any recommendations? I have a set of 16” alloys with winter tyres in the shed but I think these will look silly on a Sportline 

I haven't checked your OE size, but if my 18s won't fit with sufficient clearance over the calipers on my other car, I do know I can fit 235/35 19 Bridgestone Weather Control A005 which are the same size as the stock Summer fitment.  Just not convinced on a 35 profile tyre protecting my spare wheels over winter with unseen potholes etc.  Also haven't seen any reviews yet on the Bridgestones; but as you might expect, they're shouting about them.  Not many low profile/large wheel all-seasons ot there so work out if a conversion is acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2017 at 19:05, dg360 said:

We ventuted into deepest, Northest Wales today to take the kids sledging. 

10" of snow on the field we were sledging down :)

Not even a single flicker from the traction control. Even when we parked up at Loggerheads on the untreated car park covered in ice, snow and slush.

Very happy customer so far.

I have just taken the plunge and purchased a set of crossclimates+ for my 2wd Superb. After reading your experience of them on snow, i'm now a lot less nervous about the coming winter season. My last car was a 4wd Octavia with a set of Nokian WR D4s which were absolutely unstoppable in the snowy conditions of 2017/18. Hence my nerves! 

Thanks.   

55 minutes ago, pj71 said:

My last car was a 4wd Octavia with a set of Nokian WR D4s which were absolutely unstoppable in the snowy conditions of 2017/18. Hence my nerves! 

Thanks.   

Unstoppable. Does that mean they were very good or very bad? :blink:

Unless you are going all the way in and through and out again then surely you are not going in are you?

You can not 'plough your way more than about 10" of snow for far can you?

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

Unless you are going all the way in and through and out again then surely you are not going in are you?

You can not 'plough your way more than about 10" of snow for far can you?

Left that piece of road to the farmers with tractors and snowploughs!!!  

On 14/08/2018 at 13:53, Jeeves said:

Still not seen a 3rd party review on the Bridgestones but this was really encouraging now that my Contis are fitted (click the table to see the results):

https://www.tyrepress.com/2018/09/1-2-finish-for-continental-winter-all-season-tyres-in-gtu-test/

On 11/09/2018 at 11:51, darwinjake said:

I used to have Crossclimates on my old Superb on 18” rims and couldn’t fault them except for one time during the beast back we do live on a hill and that wall was there to help me break :@

I'm just sad now as the new Sportline has 19” so know CC+ for me :crying: any recommendations? I have a set of 16” alloys with winter tyres in the shed but I think these will look silly on a Sportline 

Limited choices for 235/40 R19.  I took a punt on Vredestein Quatrac 5’s. I’m very impressed with them.  Handled ‘the beast from the east’ with no issues and kept me moving on a 400 mile drive during the worst of it. 

Not too bad in the Summer either. Not as good as something like an Eagle F1 Asymetric but still better than the Pirelli P7’s that my first Sportline came with. 

I’ve driven 22,000 miles on my Crossclimate tyres on the front wheels and they are now needing replaced. I’m happy with the wear and in the snow earlier this year they were fantastic.

17 minutes ago, xman said:

22,000 miles seems very low for crossclimates which Michelin regularly claim last significantly longer than other brands. What is tread depth down to?

Rapidly approaching the wear indicators, I’d say under 2mm now but above 1.6mm

What distance do Michelin claim is possible?

Edited by sneeks

Maybe its the town driving and speed bumps then.

On the Octavia ii 1.2tsi estate we get at least 35,000 miles to about 2mm, latest fronts are Vredestein Quatrac 5 at 30,000 and still have around 3 - 3.5mm. None of tyres were Michelins and none XL rated which crossclimates are as standard. Mainly B roads.

We have crossclimates on the back on one of the fabia estates, and they seem to be lasting forever, almost 50,000 miles and on 5.5mm (7mm when new) but that's to be expected on the rear as that particular fabia rarely carries a load or passengers and spends its days mainly cruising motorways.

• Like 1

I don’t think you’ll have any issues achieving 23,000 miles from them. I’ll be about there with my tyres when they get replaced and my car is often full of adult passengers with heavy suitcases on town roads.