Progress Skoda Bedford

Very Poor Customer Service

Had an invitation from them for a VIP event about three weeks ago (the event was last weekend)

The invitation said to reply via the internet which I did and I got a page telling me I had successfully registered and a VIP pack would be sent to me in the post and a time would be e-mailed to me.

I heard nothing. The Thursday before the event they phoned us up and said did you receive a VIP invitation and we explained we had done the registration on line - they said they had problems with the booking system, but not to worry they would post a pack that day and e-mail a time for Sunday. Nothing arrived either by post or e-mail. Sunday morning we called them and they said - very sorry but just come at 2pm and we will see you then.

We arrived at 2pm the girl on the door said your name isn't on the list - have a look round and I'll see if I can find someone to talk to you. 15 minutes later she came back to us and said give me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail a stock list to you - here is a contact card and basically showed us the door.

When I got home I phoned and asked to speak to the manager - who was apologetic, said he had a car in stock he thought would suit me and could I come straight back to chat to him. Having wasted nearly two hours and with other things to do I told him I could not do that and could I come in today. He agreed and said he had made me an appointment for 9:30am

He sent me an e-mail with details of the car he thought would suit me and said either he or his senior sales man Karl would be waiting for us on Saturday.

On Thursday I had an e-mail to say the car he was thinking of had been sold but not to worry because there were lots more in group stock, so still come in and have a chat.

I arrived 9:30 today and the girl on reception knew nothing about us having an appointment. She said the manager was busy with a customer and would go and fetch Karl.

Karl came and said he knew nothing about us and would check with the manager - he was quite rude to my wife at one point.

He returned and took us over another sales assistant to deal with us. At no point did the manager come and speak to us or apologise for double booking himself. We then had to go all the way through again what we were after and our details. This assistant was very pleasant - but we left feeling that they were not really interested in helping us upgrade our Skoda and that we were not at all important customers to them.

I have driven Skoda since 1986 and when the old fashioned dealers closed we moved to Progress. Our current main fabia came from them and both of cars are serviced and MOT'd by them so we are regular customers of them.

I am now seriously thinking of changing brand and looking for a dealer who does have respect and manners towards their customers and when they make an appointment will actually keep it.

• 1 month later...

Another owner who has seen simply dreadful customer service from this outlet.

Had a very poor experience with this Dealer when looking to order my S3.  Complete lack of interest by the Sales staff and frankly I felt like I was just interrupting something more important on their computer.

Ended up buying through the Letchworth Branch who could not have been more helpful or interested.  Mine was actually the first S3 they had ordered.

I have had an issue with the Virtual Pedal on the S3 and it is more convenient to use Bedford as it's en route during my commute.  Job passed from Letchworth to Bedford to make this happen.......and nothing.  Now several weeks later and still nothing.

I was told they have had a staff change and things should be better but to be honest I am not seeing any sign of that.

I will need to go back to Letchworth and ask them to try again, and will contact whoever is the primary Dealer Principal to get them to put a rocket into that site.  I think they are too small and too surrounded by industrial units.  The whole place is tatty and underwhelming, same as the staff attitude.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the market to purchase a new Octavia 1.4 TSI Hatchback dsg with quite a few options. I made an appointment to visit and discuss my requirements with Karl last Saturday. When my wife and I arrived at the given time he was talking to another customer. We stood around for a while when he came and gave us the keys to his car and told us to take it for a test drive. 

On our return, he was still talking to the same customers. -  eventually we were then passed to another salesman who configured the car that we were interested ( now a Superb 1.4 TSI DSG ) in and said he would pass the information to Karl so he would get back to us. In all we hung around for 1 1/2 hours with no apparent interest from him. He did pop over just as we were leaving to say that he would phone. He did eventually call and I told him about other quotes that I had had and he asked me to e-mail them across which I did. Nothing - total silence, when I telephoned him on Monday I left a message asking him to call me but didn't even have the common courtesy to reply! 

Therefore I Have placed my order with another dealer so they have lost a £25 grand + order. 

I wanted to buy from them as they have serviced my last 2 Superbs and have always been happy dealing with their service department.

Once my new car arrives - I will be going back to the Letchworth branch for service & maintenance. - So they have lost that work as well as a sale.

Will not be dealing with them ever again!

Edited by davidj241

• 9 months later...

My experience was far more positive than the reviews above.

I went in on a Sunday without an appointment to see a Citigo in the flesh. The two salesmen were busy so I started looking at the Citigo with my partner. After a few minutes one of the the salesmen, Matthew, finished with his customer, came over and introduced himself. He offered to get some brochures and told me and my partner to go ahead and have a proper look, get in, open what we like etc. When he came back with the brochures he asked if we had any questions. We didn't so he said rather than hovering over us, he would leave us to keep looking around and told us where to find him (at a desk in the back corner, easily within sight).

I had been in a few other dealerships that morning including Ford and VW where we had been pounced upon by the salesmen who started pushing for a sale. Rather than being able to look around they just started reeling off features and pushing us to go discuss finance options.

I had read quite a bit online and already had the Citigo on my list of options alongside a couple of other cars. The attitude of the salesman was what really sold me the car.

• 6 months later...

I’ve also noticed a marked difference in Bedford’s customer service since they swept out all the experienced salesmen and service manager and replaced them with newbies . 

This is my main beef about them trying to charge me an extortionate amount for a service that used to be free on new cars but when I purchased my latest Citigo,the new to Skoda sales bod forgot to tell me it was no longer included . 

I may give Letchworth a ring or just go independent and pay half the price . 

It seems that being a Bedford customer for my last four cars ,three of them being brand new, means nowt, bring back Andrew 

If you ever need any interior parts they quite often forget to close tailgates, or lock doors on the cars on their for court. Have been around a few times without being hassled and pass sometimes walking the dog and have noticed.......

• 4 months later...

Very, very poor customer service. I wouldn't kno where to begin... Let's just say they need to get their act together, even getting rid of very unprofessional staff, they have still got a poor knowledge service department.have raised a complaint regarding their mechanic telling me that I have overfilled my car with oil, when actually their wasnt any over filling, that they drained oil what was supposed to be there! and told me it was overfilling. That's told in a nutshell. My advice-don't take ur car there.comolained raised 3 weeks ago,and they still "investigating". Let's see how long will it take them. 

• 1 year later...