Superb Oil Consumption

there should be oil/fuel  all round the spark plugs if they were loose. Get someone to follow you , go down a steep hill on the overrun and then floor it , that should generate a puff if there's anything amiss with the rings or valve seals

Try the tray under the engine for oil - it will collect drips, so looking for a pool under the car doesn't give an immediate indication of a leak. At the rate you're losing oil I would have expected it to have overflowed by now though.

• Like 1

Thank you one and all for you comments and advice.

I am going to change the plugs, and I'll do the over run test, and see if I get any smoke.

I still can't fathom where the oil is going with nothing bloody obvious.

Check the oil last night.  This is after servicing at the weekend (engine flush new oil and filter.  Run around the block, check oil level, all good)

On the dipstick, after 89 miles its halfway between the full/add oil marks.  

I can truly say that I am doing my bit in "Ridding the World of Hydrocarbons"   

22 hours ago, Ade515 said:

Yes, three were, as I would describe "Finger Tight". But I fail to see why this would have an effect on oil consumption.

And I agree It is Hoovering the oil, hence my initial question, "where is all the oil going"

I do not see smoke, and my driveway is drip free.  

It's either leaking out or burning it  or someone is stealing your oil  ;-)

• Like 1

There is 'Bore Wash' and you are having the Oil burned with the fuel if there is no oil coming out of the engine or the tail pipe.

Put in new 5W40 FS (VW502 00) If that is not what you did use 

& run a few tanks of super unleaded after the new spark plugs are in with CORRECT GAP, not 35 thou,

and see if it drinks less oil and you can live with what it is using.

Below this link shows what the issue was and still can be with Twincharger Engine. Not Unlike the 1.8-2.0 TSI issues.

Giving then a bit of a thrash regularly once the oil is up to temperature does help clean the plugs of carbon and oiling, and frees the rings and scrappers.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

PS

Running a TSI around the block is not getting the Oil up to Operating Temperature for doing 'Hot' Oil level checks.

So you are wanting to know the Cold Level, and compare the Hot Level, (Operating Temperature), 

the 'Warm Level' really is not a consistent check.

But you know you put the correct quantity and spec in so that is good, you can not always be sure when others do your Oil Change.

Edited by Awayoffski

Well, I would be happy for Ade515 to find it leaks somewhere. But, as he mentioned, no leaks found. Trust me and others, the issue is the oil scraper ring (height only 1,5mm and only drilled holes of small diameter instead of slots) and long oil service interval with ACEA Cx oils. TSI produce more soot/carbon than MPI, therefore holes in scraper rings get blocked and that is begining of the end ...

What is even more sad, the modification of pistons/ring, which took place in June 2011 and again in October same year, can do the same as pistons/rings from end 2008 to May 2011, though scraper ring is 2 mm high, but again only drilled holes. First in 2016 VAG started to use for service purposes "waffle structure" oil scraper rings, which will be OK even with LL oil service.

Yes, 5W40 ACEA A3/B4 can help, but only when scraper ring are not full of carbon, what I guess at 1 per 300 must be. It´s 4times of the VAG limit ...

1.4 Twincharger is a bit other story, too much power ...

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=cs&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhartogtuning.nl%2Foh_ht_news.php%3Ff%3D84

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1

^^^ Just to correct you, with the Twinchargers, even 2009-2012 you could use 5W 40 FS, Super Unleaded, better than OEM Spark plugs and up the power to over 200hp and have no issues as many did.

So not a too much power issue, just a VW penny pinching issue, and lack of proper development.

Crap Intakes.  Crap Components, and NEVER ADMIT TO BUILDING LEMONS.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421365-links-to-lucifers-ultimate-guide-to-14tsi-twincharger-engines 

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 weeks later...

Would this all be covered under an extended warranty? I've put in 750ml of oil in 9000 miles which I don't think is too bad, but will be keeping an eye on this. 

Going to put the car on variable servicing now as I'm covering 25K per annum.

750ml at 9000 miles is nothing to be worried about. Should consider changing the oil at 9000 miles instead of just filling it up.

Edited by TLV

• 2 weeks later...

Also for newer 1.8 and 2.0 TSI's, it's better to change to a max 15.000 km (10.000 miles) interval, because the oil consumption problem was definitely not completely cured in 2011. Even last year Audi changed the design of the oil scraper ring again. Now to a very open design similar to the left piston in the picture below. (Picture source is Hartog, a tuning and revision company in the Netherlands, who revise many, many 1.8 and 2.0 TSI engines these days)

Hartog ZuigersVergelijk.jpg

Edited by andrehj
  • Like 1

That´s true, set of OEM rings with scrapers of "waffle structure" or "Miniflex" for 1.8TSI used on latest pistons 06H107065DL from 2015/2016, same set of rings can be used on previous pistons 06H107065DF used from October/2011, the set of rings alone is 06H198151J.

@andrehj nice compilation for an exhibition, three types of pistons on one crankshaft :thumbup: where did you found it on that site, can´t see it, must be some intern info :cool:

I am sure English and German mutation of that site would bring them much work ... ;)

Edited by rayx

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 18:58, rayx said:

By the way, OEM plugs for these engines 06H905601A are NGK PFR7S8EG,

My CDA engine came with Iridium Tough Denso Spark Plug VK22 that lasted very well till 90K km.

denso_iridium_chart.png