DRLs - On or Off

Ever since we had the car 2 years ago they have been on.  But was just curious as to whether or not having them on might decrease the life of the bulb if they are on constantly.

I turned them off to day.

of course it will reduce the life of the bulb if they are on!

They are a good idea to have on imho as they help increase daytime visibility.

The bulbs cost hardly anything so why not just keep them switched on and then replace the bulbs when you need to?

• Like 4

Leave them on.

The bulbs cost about £1, and are the easiest to replace on the car - no tools, and about 3 minutes.

Mind you, they do tend to go at about 9 monthly / 20,000 mile intervals (and never both at the same time) so I got fed up and replaced then with LEDs.

Nah, natural light's fine, it's just the ever increasing tendency for cars to resemble Christmas trees that disappoints me. 

Don't even ask me about fog lights when there's no fog...:D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wino said:

Yep, twinkling at me as they come towards me.

so you notice them twinkling at you as they come towards you?

The idea behind them works then :)

• Like 3

IIRC bulbs last longer if left on (incandescent tungsten filament). Switching them off and on shortens the lifespan. (or you could leave them off permanently to increase longevity further)

Who introduced them to make drivers feel safer?

Daytime / Daylight Running lights are to let other road users and those near a road know a vehicle is coming towards them in the Daytime / Daylight.

Oddly they are also on when vehicles are stopped but the ignition is running.

No UK legislation even from the EU they must be on, just that after Feb 2011 new type approved vehicles (cars) have them fitted as standard.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

Against.  The safer you make people feel in their cars, the less attention they'll give to the road. 

Counterproductive.

I see where you're coming from but DRL's aren't of any benefit to the driver of the car fitted with them.

I also agree, in principal, to what you're saying; 'the spike on the steering wheel' factor.

2 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

No UK legislation even from the EU they must be on, just that after Feb 2011 new type approved vehicles (cars) have them fitted as standard.

My 2013 Fabia doesn't have DRL's

1 minute ago, Wino said:

I'm gonna leave it there Lee, not sure this is much benefit to the OP. :)

the OP never mentioned if they were bulbs or LED's. Big difference and a question that cannot be answered until the OP specifies the type of 'bulb' :)

Lee01, a Mk2 Fabia never had new type approval from a Mk1,

2007-2010 & a Face Lift, and if it had 2007 or 2010 which are pre 2011 & 2013 obviously,

and an All New 3rd Generation Fabia from 2014 had no new Type Approval either.

Edited by Awayoffski

A  car with any lights on is easier to see than one without any on, therefore that makes it a safety issue. As far as bulb life is concerned I fail to see where the 9 month life comes into it. My Superb is in its 7th year and I run it always with the DRL on and have never changes a bulb. My Land Cruiser is the same apart from the headlights which I changed for a higher intensity bulb and I've had that for 10 years.

• Like 1

^^^ Very true,

sidelights and dipped beams are great, lights to the rear and very good in poor visibility / light levels which can be during the daytime.

It is amazing how many years car bulbs can last in the likes of a Volvo with front & rear lights on always.

Sure, the bulbs will go out faster if you use them. On the other hand, you will never run out of washer fluid if you dont clean the bugs off with it.

Remember... It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, or think that you are. There are loads and loads of people who are complete crap and driving. If having your DRLs on help them to see you and not crash head on into you, then it seems a small price to pay.

• Like 1