HID tutorial (quick install guide)

Quick install guide for the Mk2 VRS (likely to be universal) did it today as I had one that had burnt out. Easy to do if you are ok at hands on stuff. Hopefully save someone a few quid for fitting. 

Mk2 owners follow here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1772026073078175/

Link to guide here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1772026073078175/permalink/1886852938262154/

Additional questions ask here or on post. 

Cheers

On 18/03/2017 at 13:22, Lee01 said:

not great for those not on FB or don't want to join yet another group. Any chance you can C&P it in here?

I'll get it posted on here this week mate. Trying to do it from my phone but it's not working out for me. 

• Like 1

Blown H7 HID

20170315_135127.jpg

H7 HID lamps. I have gone for 5000k 100w (I wont post links as I am not sure if it will be breaking rules)

20170315_133106.jpg

Ballasts for the HID

20170315_133117.jpg

Lamp holders for fitting the HID. This will need fabricating a little so they look similar to the original holder. I used long nose pliers which did a great job. Just compare this one with the original to understand how it needs to look. I opted for this incase I need to remove the HID for whatever reason. making it easy to replace with the halogen lamp) 

20170315_133159.jpg

First. Remove the rubber grommet and the halogen lamp. Cut a 'X' in the centre of the grommet. 

20170315_133056.jpg

Remove the HID from its casing before you put the connectors through the grommet - inside to outside. Please be careful not to touch the HID. Note that the power connector isnt pushed through the grommet. This is because it needs to live in the headlight housing. 

20170315_133351.jpg

Seal the hole in the grommet with the rubber piece on the HID lamp cables. (outside)

20170315_133438.jpg

Sealed (inside)

20170315_133442.jpg

HID holder in place with the HID

20170315_133733.jpg

HID in its housing with the new connector. (Rubber grommet removed for picture purposes)

20170315_133956.jpg

Power supply to the HID lamps. If you get these the wrong way round they will not work. They will not damage the HID though so you can guess as the power supply from the original holder isnt too clear. Tuck that into the headlight and put the grommet back in place. It can be very fiddly this, so it might take some patience! Connect the ballasts to the HID

20170315_134301.jpg

Tuck the ballasts Nice and neatly away. These are fine here as they are wedged into place. Not had any issue with this for over a year. You can tuck them away if you like.

20170315_134758.jpg

Done!! And repeat with the other side.

20170315_134814.jpg

Edited by Polluxtroy69
Test Photo bucket images
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mac26 said:

Brilliant write up!  

I'm feeling brave with mine now :)

Cheers

I was a little unsure on this write up because some of the people on here don't hold back haha. It's as clear as it can be I feel. If you've never removed your bulbs before though do get practice. As you will lose some skin the first time round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Cheers

I was a little unsure on this write up because some of the people on here don't hold back haha. It's as clear as it can be I feel. If you've never removed your bulbs before though do get practice. As you will lose some skin the first time round. 

What you mean...like this!!! Lol

IMG_0115.JPG

1 hour ago, Polluxtroy69 said:

Cheers

I've changed the bulbs a couple of times so yes, it's rather tight!

Just a bit apprehensive on the legalities of running hid's and which ones to get as there's that many!

if any I'd just go for 35 watt 4300k as that's what my old mondeo had as factory fit and they were stonking!

1 hour ago, mac26 said:

I've changed the bulbs a couple of times so yes, it's rather tight!

Just a bit apprehensive on the legalities of running hid's and which ones to get as there's that many!

if any I'd just go for 35 watt 4300k as that's what my old mondeo had as factory fit and they were stonking!

5000k are white (legal)

6000k have a tint of blue (legal)

8000k more blue (unsure if they're legal)

10000k are more purple (illegal And for shows only from what I've read)

2 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Awesome, @Polluxtroy69 Feel free to add links, not a problem. Face/ Off's a top film BTW ;)

Holders SODIAL(R) 2 Pcs Metal Xenon H7 HID Bulb Holder Retainer Adapter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VSZBAZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_A1V0ybK8FH2S8

Can't find the link for the kit. Amazon or eBay 'H7 HID 5000k kit' And you should find what you need.

Haha yeah it's a quality film mate. Not many get the name. Good job haha