Considering getting superb mapped

9 hours ago, TasMan said:

Thanks Pete, still getting to know the car and what it can/can't do, I am assuming this was an electronic means of disabling, will need to look that up. 

Yeah he disabled it by electronic magic :)

• Like 1

Looking for someone to do a remap in the SW and I noticed TSR Performance are just 5 minutes away and have a good reputation but they only do REVO maps and I've never heard of them before, has anyone had any experience of them? Think that I'll end up travelling to have it done but I'd be happier if it were somewhere local in Somerset,Devon area.

5 hours ago, PeteJ80 said:

Yeah he disabled it by electronic magic :)

Its called pulling the Haldex fuse! Although if you apply the handbrake this disables the Haldex (it used to in Gen1 anyway) also but its better to be safe and kill the power.

Edited by SuperbTWM

With the 4x4 undoubtedly sapping a few horses over 2wd I am swayed towards a 4x4 dyno set up to get the true picture of what the car is doing.  I think I would be happier spending several hundred on a remap knowing that it has been done to reflect as near to road performance as possible.  Not knocking other solutions, at the end of the day a remap is going to make a noticeable difference.  Need to check out a few companies up here with 4x4 dynos....  Cheers

https://www.awesomegti.com

I used the above company to map my Octavia MK2 2009 105 TDI 5spd Manual and it made it dream to drive. I was informed the 105bhp was running 150bhp. This car was sold on.

I now own a Superb MK2 2009 170 DSG Elegance since Sept 2013. This car I had mapped with the above company in October 2016 and again it has transformed the car. It's a real Q-Car. Looks like a big sleepy tank, but really is very quick in general comparison to 2.0 Diesel cars of a similar size. I was informed the 170bhp is now running 205bhp.

There are many mixed reviews about their (awesomegti) work. I did not have a bespoke tailor made map for my car I went with a standard stage 1. I just wanted better driveability not ridiculous amounts of power. I chose them having heard about them from my local Skoda Dealer. Overall all I would say is if you do remap your car/s just make sure you have a sound well maintained car. The clutch system must be strong and you should have a good healthy turbo and gearbox. 

Edited by Priyesh
Typos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Priyesh said:

[...] I did not have a bespoke tailor made map for my car I went with a standard stage 1. [...]

So it's the same as buying chip - which you could remove in case of selling or scrapping car and then just pay fraction of the original cost for new maps.

16 minutes ago, jafo said:

So it's the same as buying chip - which you could remove in case of selling or scrapping car and then just pay fraction of the original cost for new maps.

No, because it's still a proper remap rather than a bunch of resistors messing with the ECU signals and making it overboost and overfuel.

15 minutes ago, chimaera said:

No, because it's still a proper remap rather than a bunch of resistors messing with the ECU signals and making it overboost and overfuel.

ROTFL :) I'm not talking about stuff like that :) I'm talking about DTUK :)

1 minute ago, jafo said:

ROTFL :) I'm not talking about stuff like that :) I'm talking about DTUK :)

That's still just a fancy resistor box messing around with ECU signals.

Their installation instructions are here: https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/pdfs/vag_2.0_tdi_cr_ldk_quer_e.pdf

It's plugging into a bunch of sensors and intercepting the data they send back to the ECU to trick it into changing fueling and boost. The box is just a fancy setup for manipulating the signals. It's still going to result in the ECU not being able to see the true engine state and respond properly according to the map installed on it. No matter what the manufacturer of the box says, this opens up the possibility of the engine operating outside safe parameters and therefore it's a bad solution.

Even a generic remap leaves the ECU in full control of the engine, operating according to the actual data coming from the sensors and responding according to the map loaded onto it. Being generic means it's not pushing any particular part of the performance envelope as far as a custom map might do based on a customer's preference.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Priyesh said:

https://www.awesomegti.com

I used the above company to map my Octavia MK2 2009 105 TDI 5spd Manual and it made it dream to drive. I was informed the 105bhp was running 150bhp. This car was sold on.

I now own a Superb MK2 2009 170 DSG Elegance since Sept 2013. This car I had mapped with the above company in October 2016 and again it has transformed the car. It's a real Q-Car. Looks like a big sleepy tank, but really is very quick in general comparison to 2.0 Diesel cars of a similar size. I was informed the 170bhp is now running 205bhp.

There are many mixed reviews about their (awesomegti) work. I did not have a bespoke tailor made map for my car I went with a standard stage 1. I just wanted better driveability not ridiculous amounts of power. I chose them having heard about them from my local Skoda Dealer. Overall all I would say is if you do remap your car/s just make sure you have a sound well maintained car. The clutch system must be strong and you should have a good healthy turbo and gearbox. 

Funny you should say that, as this was my car about two hours ago. :)

IMG_5508.JPG

• Like 2

So I've had the map for almost a week guys, and all I can say is I should of done it sooner, the car pulls in every gear and doesn't seemed phased the torque is very noticeable and would recommend it.

As of mpg I'm going to run it to compare my run to and from work is 60miles a day so at the moment I'm still at the same as before averaging 50.3 mpg if it stays the same I don't think I would be that bothered because the overall change of experience makes up for it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zukabak said:

Funny you should say that, as this was my car about two hours ago. :)

IMG_5508.JPG

I didn't have the rolling road outputs done. What read outs did you get?

What sort of map did you go for?

They did me a good deal on a stock map when I had a major service, cam belt and water pump done all together.

17 hours ago, sco77 said:

So I've had the map for almost a week guys, and all I can say is I should of done it sooner, the car pulls in every gear and doesn't seemed phased the torque is very noticeable and would recommend it.

As of mpg I'm going to run it to compare my run to and from work is 60miles a day so at the moment I'm still at the same as before averaging 50.3 mpg if it stays the same I don't think I would be that bothered because the overall change of experience makes up for it. 

Your remap sounds like a good result...!  I assume your car is 2WD ?  If I go down the route of remap I will definitely be wanting before and after dyno runs.

Probably a silly question:-

Most companies claim improved MPG and most folk who have had a remap report this to be the case.....will any improvement be reflected on the readings on the MFD, or will this only be apparent by actual measurement of fuel used V mileage ?  Given the fuel is being metered by the ECU, I can only assume the MFD will reflect the revised MPG after remap ?

17 hours ago, Priyesh said:

I didn't have the rolling road outputs done. What read outs did you get?

What sort of map did you go for?

They did me a good deal on a stock map when I had a major service, cam belt and water pump done all together.

I got the standard 'Awesome TDI - Stage 1' map with dyno runs before/after included on my CR170 DSG..either Awesome's dyno is under reading a little, or my car was pushing out less than expected as stock.. which is possible, but VAGs normally achieve a little more than advertised 'out of the box'.

Even so my results were:

Stock: 161bhp @ 4.2k   -  266ftlb @ 1.9k
Mapped: 196bhp @ 3.9k  - 305ftlb @ 2.3k 

So a 35bhp & 39ftlb torque increase.. I'm not one for 'number chasing, but I must admit, I was expecting a little bit more torque out of the remap. It's certainly made a nice difference though, seems a lot smoother to drive, which is quite impressive considering it was pretty bloody smooth to begin with!

Also had a Whiteline ARB fitted too, which has really improved the handling.. removed the 'wallowing' feeling when pushing the ol' boat into corners!

5 minutes ago, Zukabak said:

I got the standard 'Awesome TDI - Stage 1' map with dyno runs before/after included on my CR170 DSG..either Awesome's dyno is under reading a little, or my car was pushing out less than expected as stock.. which is possible, but VAGs normally achieve a little more than advertised 'out of the box'.

Even so my results were:

Stock: 161bhp @ 4.2k   -  266ftlb @ 1.9k
Mapped: 196bhp @ 3.9k  - 305ftlb @ 2.3k 

So a 35bhp & 39ftlb torque increase.. I'm not one for 'number chasing, but I must admit, I was expecting a little bit more torque out of the remap. It's certainly made a nice difference though, seems a lot smoother to drive, which is quite impressive considering it was pretty bloody smooth to begin with!

Also had a Whiteline ARB fitted too, which has really improved the handling.. removed the 'wallowing' feeling when pushing the ol' boat into corners!

Wow!! Maybe not as high as you wanted but still good gain. All figures are relative to the car and how well it's been maintained etc. There are a lot of variables but I'm sure you will agree with me when I say the car was great before the re-map and even better after. The pull is much more linear and smooth throughout the rev range.

47 minutes ago, TasMan said:

Your remap sounds like a good result...!  I assume your car is 2WD ?  If I go down the route of remap I will definitely be wanting before and after dyno runs.

Probably a silly question:-

Most companies claim improved MPG and most folk who have had a remap report this to be the case.....will any improvement be reflected on the readings on the MFD, or will this only be apparent by actual measurement of fuel used V mileage ?  Given the fuel is being metered by the ECU, I can only assume the MFD will reflect the revised MPG after remap ?

Yes as the remap is done as a map and not a plug in chip the figures are reflected in the MFD my live reads from Manchester to London steady at 70/75mph were 54mpg. I now get 58/60mpg. I am very happy with the over all results.

• Like 1

Surely the DPF gets more of a load with a remap since the fueling with a remap is made richer. I'm thinking of remapping my 105, but thought if I had that done, perhaps get rid of the DPF and EGR at the same time. Haven't had problems with either, never even an active regen. I live quite far from everywhere, so all my drives are long and I rarely sit in traffic. Should be quite healthy for the car. Have you guys had any issues in that department?

20 minutes ago, Priyesh said:

Yes as the remap is done as a map and not a plug in chip [...]

Why do you think readings would be different?  Is there any other source of fuel with chip? Because chip only modifies readings from temp and fuel pressure sensor - amount of fuel is still controlled by ECU.