Roomster 2 years old (Suspension clunk and all sorts)

Hi all,

So its coming up to 2 years owning my 15 reg Roomster, it has already done nearly 30000miles. 

It recently developed a bad suspension noise. When the car is cold, going through those damn speed bumps, the front of the car clunks, sounds like metal hitting. But when it warms up, going through those bumps, the front makes a weird squeaky noise, sound like something is loose. Just took it to the dealer today, they took the wheels off and calipers, but said everything looks fine underneath, all bushes and mounts looks fine and nothing is leaking, bent or broken. 

I really need help if someone has had this problem before and know what I am talking about. Driving in London is full of bad roads (speed bumps and potholes) and the noise is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance :)

Really did they remove the Brake Calipers?

Did you see them do that, or is that what the report says?

Best have someone else travel with you or drive and let you listen again and then go to another Main Dealer to have the car checked over while you are still under warranty.

At least it should be on the system as having been reported and an inspection done.

Maybe try a Fast Foot Stylee Tyre & Exhaust Fitting Centre for a free Brake/suspension/exhaust check, just done let them do anything if they find anything amiss.

'Make your excuses and leave with car and wallet intact.'

Edited by Awayoffski

I also have had graunching suspension noises from almost new. Under warranty I have had steering track ends replaced and droplinks but the noises have remained. Is worse when cold and sometimes disappears and then returns over speed humps. My son hired a 63 reg Polo which also had the same noise over speed humps. I have done nothing, tyres are wearing evenly and can't be bothered having mechanics poking around. I have just driven 20,000 miles so it can't be worn parts.

I'm not sure if there is any commonality in parts between the Roomster and Rapid, but both of my Rapid's have / had this noise. It was investigated by the local main dealer (whilst under warranty) and no fault was found. I then took the car for an early MOT and again no fault was found. The 2013 car did it from me taking ownership (at 1.5 year / 15000 miles).

I then traded this car in for a late 2014 Spaceback with 3K miles. This didn't initially have the noise, but it has again become apparent as the car passed 15000 miles.

I noticed the noise is noticeably worse within the first few miles of driving and seems to improve in wetter / warmer weather. Of note compressing the suspension externally did not replicate the noise. I eventually decided the dealer was right and that it represented a "characteristic".

'Characteristic' of poor, design or manufacturing surely.  

Not characteristic or a vehicle functioning efficiently & as VW Group engineers intended the design & function hopefully.

Edited by Awayoffski

I also have had graunching suspension noises from almost new. Under warranty I have had steering track ends replaced and droplinks but the noises have remained. Is worse when cold and sometimes disappears and then returns over speed humps. My son hired a 63 reg Polo which also had the same noise over speed humps. I have done nothing, tyres are wearing evenly and can't be bothered having mechanics poking around. I have just driven 20,000 miles so it can't be worn parts.

• 4 months later...

Hey all,

Thanks for your comments. Much Appreciated.

Just an update since I just manage to bring my car in for the annual service and check up, now the car is finally 30k on the clock.

Took the mechanic out for a test drive this morning and he confirms even he heard the weird awful noise. (thought i was going crazy) 

Just got a call back from the Skoda dealer and they said they took out another Roomster to test drive and has the same noise when low rev going over bumps or broken UK roads (lovely potholes that build our nation).

Now have to go back to pick up the Roomster feeling defeated as i cannot think of anything else to do that can get rid of the horrible noise.

:(

So that Dealership will be needing to fix the Roomster they have in if it is a car for sale, and then from that experience they will be able to fix yours.

Unless the story is 'They all do that',

'engineered to be noisy',

which clearly they are not, surely.....

• 1 month later...

My Roomster used to make a front knocking sound, especially when going from forwards to backwards and also over bumps. The knocking was due to the console bushes for the front wishbones. I got one of those screw removal tools and changed them both and the problem was sorted.

IMG_20151127_102952.jpg

IMG_20151127_122555.jpg

Yes before I had my front console bushes replaced (last year)on my Scout 2007 ,I used to spray them with lithium grease about once a month. The noise till then would sound awful ,like something was loose under the car.It was worst in winter time

• 2 months later...

Hi All, 

Have exactly the same issue with my 58 plate /66k Roomster 1.6, which seems to have manifested since the weather turned colder. My road has some pretty steep speed bumps, and when I go over them I hear a clang, which reduces down to a slight knock as the car warms up. It’s not noticeable at all during normal driving. Booked into my local garage on Friday afternoon for them to have a look on the ramp. Passed Mot about a month/ 500 miles ago, at the same garage I’m taking it to, who I’ve been using for years and trust impeccably. Like others, I’m guessing it’s the console bushes, but still confused as to why the noise would reduce as the car warms up. Will let everyone know what the garage say.

Hi All, 

Have exactly the same issue with my 58 plate /66k Roomster 1.6, which seems to have manifested since the weather turned colder. My road has some pretty steep speed bumps, and when I go over them I hear a clang, which reduces down to a slight knock as the car warms up. It’s not noticeable at all during normal driving. Booked into my local garage on Friday afternoon for them to have a look on the ramp. Passed Mot about a month/ 500 miles ago, at the same garage I’m taking it to, who I’ve been using for years and trust impeccably. Like others, I’m guessing it’s the console bushes, but still confused as to why the noise would reduce as the car warms up. Will let everyone know what the garage say.

Thanks NZ, took car to garage... car was warm when I got there. Mechanic said that during the very cold weather, the bushes can contract slightly, as they warm up the free play reduces. Since the weather has been milder over the last few days, there is no noise at all over the speed bumps. Asked me to keep an eye on it for now, and they would change the bushes if it gets any worse...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, noise returned when the weather got much colder, so back to garage for a thorough inspection on their ramp. Bushes ok, but front offside ball joint worn, gaiter had split. Ball joint Changed, tracking reset and all fixed now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if the anti-roll bar is responsible. A very good test is driving over mini-roundabouts when one front wheel is raised on the mini-roundabout and the other on the road so the front of the car is twisted. My car made that noise yesterday.

Edited by edbostan