Electronic Gremlins

bryanb

Drove wife to work this morning, 3m journey, temp 3. On returning home switched of ignition and withdrew key - ENGINE CONTINUED RUNNING. I could hardly believe it so reinserted key and tried again, same again. Switched off sidelights (forgotten they were on) and engine stopped.

Tried numerous combinations of lights/ignition etc.  I can switch off engine with key only if side lights are off. If I withdraw key with side lights on I can stop engine by turning off sidelights.

Any ideas please? Anyone ever heard of this? 

Thanks for reading 

PS. It is not 1st April.

Thanks Ken, going to collect wife from work the gremlins really had fun. the wipers came on and could only be stopped by pulling the fuse. When wife got in car the door open light came on so I got out and slammed all the doors, when I opened the tailgate the horn blew for a couple of seconds and the hazards came on.

Decided it was time to visit my trusted local garage. All the staff there had a good laugh and said bring it in Monday. The boss gave me a clue though when he wiggled the boot lid cable gaiter. Back at home I pulled back the gaiter - The big brown wire was completely snapped. Going to solder in a new length tomorrow. Hope for the best, even if it doesn't fix it, it's needed.

Abandoned all plans for the weekend, watch this space.

Soldered in a new length of wire, seems to have cured tailgate problems. Still have the wipers unstoppable and interior lights staying on. It's gone to the trusted garage now as I need it sorted asap.