Recall on diesel cooling issue?

Just had a call, regarding our 1.4 tdi. Apparently the coolant needs to be changed for some reason. Can't find any info about this anywhere, including here. Anyone else had this?

The replacement of coolant pumps must be costing the VW group a considerable amount of money hence the campaign and the common occurrence of them trying their hardest to wriggle out of paying for them when they do go wrong.

Edited by James@Pentagon_Seat
  • Thanks 1

I don't think its the coolant itself.. my pump was replaced last May.. it took them two attempts to actually fix it though.  The first time they replaced just a thermostat which had gone.  The second was the bleed reed and the pump itself.  I was told on this forum when I mentioned it last year, that this was on old Octavia issue and was actually to do with a rubber seal on the pump swelling up and stopping the impeller from turning - thus causing the overheating issue and the thermostat to probably fail.  So whether they've just sorted out the rubber seal issue now and the pumps are actually re-issued, or they've slightly re-designed the pumps to make it so the impeller doesn't get stuck, I don't know for certain.. mine still appears fine 10 months on - touch wood, it will be, but I can't be certain it won't happen again as the dealer never said Head Office at the time was aware - even though I knew that they were (because of the Octavia issue).  So if anyone does get an Engine Overheat warning and your coolant temp goes to about 120ºC and engine temp climbs to similar, then slow down and keep low revving until you get to the dealer to fix it!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 19:44, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The coolant was affecting the original and now the revised pumps so they're using a different coolant to prevent the inevitable. 

To my knowledge, they're still selling and using the same coolant for Mk3 Fabias that was in them from the start - G12..

my son was  due to pick up his new car ( Fabia 2015 1.4 tdi)  last  Tuesday but the dealer  called to say they had to keep it because of a recall on a part and they will contact us when it ready.  maybe this was the reason? not a great start to  first car ownership but better than having it for a week and then getting the recall I suppose!

Edited by speedy2

On 21 March 2017 at 06:44, speedy2 said:

my son was  due to pick up his new car ( Fabia 2015 1.4 tdi)  last  Tuesday but the dealer  called to say they had to keep it because of a recall on a part and they will contact us when it ready.  maybe this was the reason? not a great start to  first car ownership but better than having it for a week and then getting the recall I suppose!

if this is a thread hijack please let me know and I'll start a new one, we finally picked the car up today after the coolant change recall and when he was driving it home it overheated twice (kept climbing towards the red) and the warning lights came on. My wife who was with my son had to put the heating on full to get the heat down. 

She's really furious and has emailed the dealer but obviously we won't hear anything back until tomorrow. Any ideas what could have caused this? Starting to wonder about this car now!

16 minutes ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

Either it wasn't bled correctly or the water pump has failed. A sad twist of irony really as the recall is supposed to prevent this from happening...

We are not going to move it now and the dealership are going to have to recover it back to base. Gutted for my son but he's ok about it... My wife however is a different story! Hopefully he's getting all the bad luck out of the way early!

On 23/03/2017 at 21:38, speedy2 said:

We are not going to move it now and the dealership are going to have to recover it back to base. Gutted for my son but he's ok about it... My wife however is a different story! Hopefully he's getting all the bad luck out of the way early!

Like I said in my post - the bleed reed, thermostat and pump may all needed replacing! Make sure the dealer checks and/or changes all of them! I'm just surprised that this is still an ongoing issue after all this time.. I've had my mk3 2 years now.. about 11 months since mine was fixed.. touch wood it will still keep working, I actually a few months after mine was fixed topped up the coolant a little with the G12 type and there have been no issues - so I'm still not convinced the coolant is to blame for this issue, despite what else is being said.

3 minutes ago, skodaTDI said:

Like I said in my post - the bleed reed, thermostat and pump may all needed replacing! Make sure the dealer checks and/or changes all of them! I'm just surprised that this is still an ongoing issue after all this time.. I've had my mk3 2 years now.. about 11 months since mine was fixed.. touch wood it will still keep working, I actually a few months after mine was fixed topped up the coolant a little with the G12 type and there have been no issues - so I'm still not convinced the coolant is to blame for this issue, despite what else is being said.

thanks they took it on Friday and are waiting for parts  I will  let you know what they say .

• Like 1

just an update for those who are interested...yep water pump had gone... so my best guess is that it was traded in with this issue happening but the previous owner hadn't reported it.  The cars then sat on the forecourt my son buys the car, the recall comes that same week, they do the coolant change and don't do a test drive because they are under pressure to get the car ready because we were already a week late.  does this sound plausible?

btw it didn't overheat until they started driving at the national speed limit so a short drive around town would not have flagged this up.

?

Had the car just 1 previous Registered Keeper?

Was that a Dealership, Finance / Lease company or an Individuals name on the V5?

i'm away from home working so I have limited info  and my wife went with him to buy it.  I will try to find out a bit more info but what I do know is it's  2015 with 11000 miles...  he's driven it again now and all seems fine,   they are going to send a letter with a full explanation apparently.

I have the Fabia petrol SEL 90 any suggestions why it's the diesel variant that's having the pump problems. On my old Fabia 1.9 tdi (55 plate) the timing belt turned the water pump which seized stripping nearly all the teeth off the belt fortunately engine not damaged presumably they are using a different pulley system to drive the water pump. Joe