Recall on diesel cooling issue?

22 hours ago, JoePeddos said:

I have the Fabia petrol SEL 90 any suggestions why it's the diesel variant that's having the pump problems. On my old Fabia 1.9 tdi (55 plate) the timing belt turned the water pump which seized stripping nearly all the teeth off the belt fortunately engine not damaged presumably they are using a different pulley system to drive the water pump. Joe

I think the pumps are now electrical..

On 27/03/2017 at 18:27, speedy2 said:

just an update for those who are interested...yep water pump had gone... so my best guess is that it was traded in with this issue happening but the previous owner hadn't reported it.  The cars then sat on the forecourt my son buys the car, the recall comes that same week, they do the coolant change and don't do a test drive because they are under pressure to get the car ready because we were already a week late.  does this sound plausible?

btw it didn't overheat until they started driving at the national speed limit so a short drive around town would not have flagged this up.

I first noticed mine overheating when I was going to a 10k event in Chatsworth and the warning on the trip computer came on, only doing 70mph as well.. as I pulled onto the hard shoulder and slowed, the warning started to disappear.. so I had to low-rev the car all the way to Chatsworth and back, before taking it to the dealership.. after that the engine temp would climb rapidly no matter what speed, whether it was in a 20mph, 30mph zone or whatever.. which is probably what you would expect if the water pump had completely seized up.  There we go.. still, 12 months to sort this out for all other Fabia 3's is not that great.. I would have expected a lot less than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - the issue appears to have struck again.. 11 months on.. my Mk3 is back at the dealer.. another pump failure by the look of it.. but more worrying no alert from the computer.. Coolant was up at 110ºC and Oil similar on a trip home tonight.. it took nearly an hour before coolant tiemp cooled to about 65ºC - when Skoda Assist turned up and towed the car back to the dealer..  have to see what they say tomorrow! not happy with Skoda atm..

Skoda are checking the car over tomorrow.. suspect it will be same as before, however, also to note - there is also recall on the Fabia mk3s to inspect a pipe/cable relating to the clutch.. don't know exactly what that is about.. but it was on the list for them to check tomorrow.. oh and the Skoda dealer says don't bother with the online checking system where you put your VIN in, it's not accurate at all.. entering my VIN didn't show anything - yet there are two issues on recall!

Also, you will be pleased to know (or maybe not) that the coolant issue also affects the Skoda Rapid.. they have a recall notice as well.. that's what I saw on the document at the dealer earlier.  I'll update again when I hear more!

The only further confirmation I have at the moment is that the pump will be replaced - so, pump number 3 will be installed later in the week.  Dealer is giving all sorts of excuses about the bank holiday intervening etc.. but anyway, they claim the thermostat is okay, but I'm not convinced as I didn't get a warning from the onboard computer - either the new one fitted 12 months ago wasn't fitted correctly, or it burnt out and didn't give the computer the signal it should have done.  I am assuming the thermostat interacts with the ECU, so the driver gets an alert.. perhaps there's something else which does that I don't know, either way - I am going to be speaking to a tech guy next week rather than ther service desk, as they don't always have the exact responses I need.

My clutch pipe on inspection was fine - I still don't know the issue behind the clutch pipe and what is supposed to be the recall issue with them, but I've nothing to worry about on that front.

As for the new coolant - interestingly, it's not a Skoda coolant which is going into the car.  The dealer buys them in 4 litre bottles from another provider, they put 3 litres into the car and hand over the remaining 1 litre to the customer, in case they need to top it up in the future.. hmm, so it may not be even the G13 type they are selling, as that in itself could be causing issue with the pumps in the Fabias' and Rapids' pumps.  Great, if only they'd have told us Fabia owners months ago..

..the story continues - I'll update again when I have more.

The latest I've had is that my new water pump is being fitted as we speak, they are still claiming the thermostat has no issue - I'm still asking for an answer as to why the computer didn't alert me on the 2nd failure.. they don't have one at present, if anyone else can think of a reason, feel free to suggest.. I may get the car back by end of today, it may be tomorrow morning.  I'm a bit apprehensive with the pumps now on the Mk3.. especially after two failures.. you drive along, constantly expecting the thing to fail and temperature to soar through the roof.. not great! :wall:

Well, the car is back.. no paperwork handed over with the car though.. I asked - "there just isn't any." was the response.. hmm, okay.  They couldn't establish a reason why there was no warning on the overheat - I just have to monitor and they are going to phone me on Monday to see if I have any further issues across the weekend.

I got some spare coolant.  Now I asked about the G13 type, the service desk said, that coolant is not to be used in the Fabia Mk3 TDi.. I said is there some spare coolant left over, "yes.. it's in the car". Okay, I'll check this out - only to find a bottle of G13 coolant.  Now, either it's a different type - or they have just re-used an old bottle (which begs the question of contamination),  given this bottle has a Skoda label on it and the service desk said they weren't using Skoda coolant anymore, it's a confused picture.  Unless there's a distinct difference between the two part numbers:

G13 - G 013 A8J M1

G13 - 5E0 121 013

The first one was on the container they kindly left on my passenger seat with the seatbelt wrapped around it.  The other is what I bought months ago - which is not to be used apparently (and is pretty much full to the brim).

Answers on a postcard please.. if anyone knows of a difference or not let me know!  Thanks.

One thing to note, I've had a 65 reg 1.6 VW Passat TDi Bluemotion from Skoda Assist as a courtesy since the issue, noted that the mpg in that car was returning better than the Mk3! Given the size difference between the two and a bigger engine, would have thought a Fabia 1.4 TDi 105 would win hands down.. obviously not!

I've only just been notified of this recall today - by my main dealer. I've now come here and see people have been talking about it for over a month. Should I have received a letter from Skoda UK before now?

On 26/04/2017 at 13:58, Octy09 said:

I've only just been notified of this recall today - by my main dealer. I've now come here and see people have been talking about it for over a month. Should I have received a letter from Skoda UK before now?

Everyone affected should have received a letter.. it's disgusting that most have never got anything.  I didn't receive anything and I didn't get any paperwork after the 3rd pump was fitted last Friday.  I am not convinced the issue is fixed.  My oil temp was up at around 98ºC when the engine was idle and I was stuck in traffic on the M6 tonight.. when I reckon it should be around 91/92ºC..  would really like to compare with other 1.4TDi Mk3 Fabias to get a guage of what they are seeing.. I've lost complete confidence in the car and Skoda to be honest..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The UK Service Campaign that the VW Group agreed with the DVSA in 2013/14 on the DQ200 DSG had the VW Group sending letters to Registered Keepers & Owner / Keepers that VW UK had contact details for, or that was the plan, not all received them.

It was deemed not as Safety Critical even when other World Regions had a World Wide Recall.

Also VW had the information on their website, Audi, Skoda & SEAT did not.

This seems to be a VW Group 'Mushroom recall action', 'Keep them in the dark and shovel them sh!te'.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/04/2017 at 22:45, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The reason you won't get a letter is because it's not a direct safety related issue hence why it's called a "service campaign" and not a "safety recall" (which tend to be governed and notifications sent by the DVSA). 

I can see the reasoning but if it's not being treated as a recall then their dealers shouldn't be using terms such as "outstanding recall" when they phone their customers up. Only leads to confusion and "outstanding" makes it sound like the owner has had an opportunity to take action. I've contacted Skoda UK for clarification.

• Like 1

Ok, so I spoke with Skoda again today regarding the oil temperature going up and down.. well the story is that its perfectly normal for the oil temperature to climb when stationary.. this is what they said.. "when the car is idle for a time, the pump switches off and when you start moving again it re-activates.." hmm.. really? so if it's 35ºC and you're stuck in traffic somewhere the electric pump can switch itself off?  This needs someone with intimate knowledge to confirm, but that according to Skoda is what happens.  Operating window for oil temp, is 80ºC to 110ºC,  but 98ºC, be it idle or driving at 65mph in 5th gear is creeping up towards that top end, the car isn't even being thrashed.. I'm still not convinced in the slightest, sounds like utter garbage to me. 

23 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

The secondary coolant pump is turned on or off as and when the ECU sees fit.

the normal operating temps for your oil is more realistically 85-130 degrees.

secondary? there are two pumps? which one is the one which has been the root cause of the issue then?

• 3 months later...

daughters 16 reg monte 1.6TDi just suffered water pump failure last week, garage said there was a recall on it for coolant, it was serviced about 6-8 months ago this has been known about for some time

car has only done 19,000 miles

My 1.4 TDI Rapid was over heating (2 weeks ago tomorrow) oil temp 114'. I rang Bristol Street the local dealers they said just to check the levels and see how you go on. Exactly a week later the same thing happened I rang BS again and they booked it in for the Friday but they suggested I rang Skoda Assist, who came out a little later that same day and on checking the car he said it had a recall and issue with the coolant. As it had got hot twice already he wasn't risking it and was going to tow it in. He got me a hire car and off he went.

BS have returned the car to me today, the Technician explained they had run the car up to temp since they had changed the coolant that was a 50/50 mix and that everything should be OK just keep an eye on it. So I hope that's all sorted.

As a side to this I rang BS several times during the time they had the car to ask for an update. I never got through to the service desk they were always busy and no one returned my calls as they promised. Is it to much to ask to be informed whats happening when they have your car for 6 days? Or is that me expecting to much of Bristol Street !!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

You are not expecting to much.

Call Skoda UK Customer Services tomorrow and get a handler and they can arrange the warranty repair of your vehicle, and Service Campaign Action carried out correctly, the water pump replaced if that is what it needs,

and they can arrange  collection of your car and a courtesy car if BRISTOL MOTORS can not be bothered to.

Be sure to get everything in writing regarding what they are going to do.

Edited by Awayoffski

Thanks for that. BristolStreet have told me they will confirm in writing what has been done.  As soon as they do I will persue this further.. I only bought the car 2 months ago? 

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got a 1.4 tdi and on holiday in wales on my first day out the engine was over heating so i pulled over luckily at services.i let the car cool down and give it another go.Overheated again so for some reason i turned the heating on to dispurse the heat from the engine as i didnt want to let the kids down on our first day out.I had to put heat on full and number 3 on the blower.Pointed the heat down to our feet and it worked.Ive been using if for 2 weeks doing this.Got my car booked in at bolton skoda for the recall issue.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems the coolant change didn't prevent ours failing. Had the overheat warning today. Dealer will be contacted and I will update!

• 2 weeks later...

My Fabia had ever suffered from overheating, we've been all over the country in it. It was at the dealers on Friday for its annual service and they carried out the coolant change while it was in. Now it overheats after driving 6 or 7 miles! It'll be going back in on Monday. 

So after a few weeks of trying, Bristol St Skoda Derby have finally replaced the electric water pump. They wouldn't believe me, the service manager ran the car for a few days and confirmed that the car was running hot! Let see what happens next