Engine removal help...pointers/hints/tricks

Confirmed that the engine in my car needs changing after the cam belt went (didn't actually snap but the tensioner failed and the pistons have hit the valves).

Removing the engine tomorrow. Not the first time me and my step dad have removed an engine, but first one of this type. So are there any hints, tricks or anything we need to consider when doing it? Want to try hand have as much info as we can before we start so we don't waste time.

Got a Haynes Manual so hoping that will be useful.

Edited by KitsonRis

Just read the Haynes manual and it says to remove the engine out the bottom of the car. Is there a way to lift the engine out? We don't have a car lift at home, just an engine crane. 

You can remove it out the front by removing the front slam panel which is pretty straightforward but you will need to break into the a/c system (if fitted).  This means you should have the gas removed first and not just released into the atmosphere,  but that's your choice!   Easiest place to break into the a/c circuit is at the compressor.  

Presumably you'll take the engine and gearbox out together so you'll need to disconnect the drive shafts too but there is enough movement in the CV joints not to require disconnecting at the hubs etc.

When I removed the engine from my vrs a couple of years ago, I left the side mount intercooler in place and disconnected the pipe work and forget that the flatten pipe under the driver's side wheel arch is fastened to the chassis rail with a stud and nut.  This was the only thing I missed when wondering what was snagging the lift forward out of the engine bay. 

• Like 1