Gizmo68 Superb L&K MKIII

Gizmo

6 hours ago, B33fy said:

It’s only when you drive a better class of car you look further than the numbers and appreciate it for what it is.

Great choice Martin, Was half tempted with an iPace but it looked odd. Polestars look fantastic, I think I might actually be a little envious Lol

One of my best friends bought a new Mercedes a few years ago for £36,000. Four years later when it was being serviced by the Merc dealer in Leicester with 40,000 miles on the clock the saleman that sold him the car tried to get him to buy a new model and he was offered £12,000 as a trade in and decided after losing £24,000 in 4 years to buy a Volvo. He still has the Volvo so it must be better than a Mercedes.:hi:

Your logic is flawed, it doesn’t make either car better than the other, based on the information you’ve posted, it tells me your mate couldn’t afford the Merc.

On occasions when you post it’s better to say something kind or not bother posting at all. In this thread you’ve told Martin his new BMW is crap and bragged about your Superb being a better car than his next choice. If that’s your style, fine, most people can see through it and will ignore it,  though you would come across better if you avoided the “my dad is better than your dad” playground mentality and post a kinder more thoughtful comment.

Martin, I’d love to see the polestar when it rocks up, we’ll have to arrange a hook up, no pun intended!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, B33fy said:

Your logic is flawed, it doesn’t make either car better than the other, based on the information you’ve posted, it tells me your mate couldn’t afford the Merc.

On occasions when you post it’s better to say something kind or not bother posting at all. In this thread you’ve told Martin his new BMW is crap and bragged about your Superb being a better car than his next choice. If that’s your style, fine, most people can see through it and will ignore it,  though you would come across better if you avoided the “my dad is better than your dad” playground mentality and post a kinder more thoughtful comment.

Martin, I’d love to see the polestar when it rocks up, we’ll have to arrange a hook up, no pun intended!!

Well my best friend bought a Mercedes demo in 2017 which was £40,000 new but she only paid £28,500 so a good saving. A year later it was traded in for a Volvo XC60 because the seats gave her back pain and as we all know Volvo have been designing and building comfortable seats for decades and these are just instances of real people I have known for more than 20 years leaving a Prestige maker such as Mercedes for a rival in Volvo despite the Swedish maker only offering 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engines.:hi:

11 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well my best friend bought a Mercedes demo in 2017 which was £40,000 new but she only paid £28,500 so a good saving. A year later it was traded in for a Volvo XC60 because the seats gave her back pain and as we all know Volvo have been designing and building comfortable seats for decades and these are just instances of real people I have known for more than 20 years leaving a Prestige maker such as Mercedes for a rival in Volvo despite the Swedish maker only offering 2.0 litre 4 cylinder engines.:hi:

Well there you go 🙄. As I said in my previous post, a great example of a typical infant school strategy, best left in the playground.

Love the Polestar 2, I'd take that any day over the silly Model 3 which has the nerve to be called a "family car"...  Better looking, bigger, and better quality overall :thumbup:

On the horsepower aspect though, 400bhp might sound like being a lot but in reality when they have to move 2+ ton  plus without gearing, they are not as impressive/effective as they might sound or as they would be in a similar size (but lighter) petrol/diesel car. Judging from the 0-100-200 figures, acceleration is comparable to a 300-320bhp IEC car (eg. Cupra estate) which is nice but nothing too impressive by today's performance standards. And the biggest appeal of the IEC car if you're a little bit into tuning is that it can improve its performance dramatically with a remap or even further mods, whereas the EV is fixed at its stock performance for its entire lifetime but that applies to all EV not just the Polestar of-course.

Out of curiosity, how is the charger network in the UK? Another deal breaker for me (apart from the fact only a dual motor Model S would feel quick :tongueout:) is that you just can't have long trips unless the route happens to involve fast chargers.

Personally I don't think I'd mind the lack of noisy engines, exhausts, smells and all that sentimental stuff, I've seriously considered going EV as my next car but every time I am changing my mind eventually simply due to lack of infrastructure and still a really high price of the actually fast EV's out there. Maybe in 3-5 years?

Edited by newbie69
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Love the Polestar 2, I'd take that any day over the silly Model 3 which has the nerve to be called a "family car"...  Better looking, bigger, and better quality overall :thumbup:

On the horsepower aspect though, 400bhp might sound like being a lot but in reality when they have to move 2+ ton  plus without gearing, they are not as impressive/effective as they might sound or as they would be in a similar size (but lighter) petrol/diesel car. Judging from the 0-100-200 figures, acceleration is comparable to a 300-320bhp IEC car (eg. Cupra estate) which is nice but nothing too impressive by today's performance standards. And the biggest appeal of the IEC car if you're a little bit into tuning is that it can improve its performance dramatically with a remap or even further mods, whereas the EV is fixed at its stock performance for its entire lifetime but that applies to all EV not just the Polestar of-course.

Out of curiosity, how is the charger network in the UK? Another deal breaker for me (apart from the fact only a dual motor Model S would feel quick :tongueout:) is that you just can't have long trips unless the route happens to involve fast chargers.

Personally I don't think I'd mind the lack of noisy engines, exhausts, smells and all that sentimental stuff but it's simply down to lack of infrastructure and still a really high price of the actually fast EV's out there.

Well said as usual.

Yes @john999boy I got the email 👍

@newbie69 they are not that big inside, but big enough for 4 x 6’ adults, the charging network is improving, but with any 250+ mile range EV this isn’t really that important for most people providing you can charge at home or work, don’t forget you can leave home every day with a full ‘tank of fuel’ (292 miles). 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

@newbie69 they are not that big inside, but big enough for 4 x 6’ adults, the charging network is improving, but with any 250+ mile range EV this isn’t really that important for most people providing you can charge at home or work, don’t forget you can leave home every day with a full ‘tank of fuel’ (292 miles). 

Commuting or even smaller trips is not an issue clearly, and for probably 95% of my use it would be just as carefree from a "refueling" point as any ICE car I believe.

What worries me is that the kind of road trips we are doing like once year would not be possible any more as they would take easily 4-5x more time and I just can't accept spending 40-50K for a great car that I'd love to drive and carry my family in only to have to use some cheap rental for these trips. Also some other trips although shorter would just not be possible at all due to total lack of charging stations.

I know it doesn't sound as something that would bother someone too often but just the thought of not being able to do it was enough to steer me away. It's probably just a matter of time though before the infrastructure gets to a point where such issues will be a thing of the past so I'm not in a particular rush :D  

Edited by newbie69

Very nice Gizmo, I saw some reviews of the Polestar and it seems like an excellent choice in the current world of EV's. (pun not intended) I would love to upgrade the Octy to a quick EV one day.

Any plans for the 335i?

• Like 1

In reality it’s a non issue, most people will need a comfort break before the car needs charging, when we got the Leaf 2 years ago (which has half the range of a Polestar) every motorway service station bar one in the UK has EV chargers. 

5 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

.Any plans for the 335i?

Apart from LED’s inside the car and a pair of dashcams it will probably stay standard 😂

(I don’t believe that either!!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

In reality it’s a non issue, most people will need a comfort break before the car needs charging, when we got the Leaf 2 years ago (which has half the range of a Polestar) every motorway service station bar one in the UK has EV chargers. 

You got me wondering now  so I looked up Polestar's range calculator and the charging network in Sweden and Germany using this site: https://www.uppladdning.nu/List.aspx  :D  We usually aim to cover around 600-800km in a day with one or two 20-30min stops. Assuming the car has say 50-100km left when we stop, we'd need to find at least a 50kW charger to refill to 80% while stopping for 2hr. Do UK stations offer 50kW on their majority? That would be livable despite increasing the daily trip time by 3hr. If there were 150kW at a wide availability it would be a non-issue really.

Hmm, Skoda Enyaq iV coming out next month right? :tongueout: