Front crossmember/subframe

Changing my suspension at the weekend, and had the unfortunate situation of the captive nut for the front most wishbone bolt shear off and drop into the subframe, oddly the bolt came out no bother, but when I put the new bolt in place the nut was already gone. Couldn't see any other way around it other than using a grinder to make a "flap", and putting my own nut in place for the bolt, and I'll hopefully be able to get the flap welded shut so it passes its MOT.

Question i have is whether the subframe on a Mk1 VRS is the same as a Mk4 Golf? Or whether its got slight differences? As theres used ones floating about for ~£30 on eBay, and given the choice I'd probably spend less money buying one and fitting it myself than getting someone in to weld things.

All Mk4 golf platform cars run the same front subframe (2wd). The choice of them is endless almost, most people will opt for the Audi S3 subframe as it has the lower brace on it for extra stiffness. 

1 hour ago, simspj said:

All Mk4 golf platform cars run the same front subframe (2wd). The choice of them is endless almost, most people will opt for the Audi S3 subframe as it has the lower brace on it for extra stiffness. 

That's perfect. So I could buy an S3 subframe and all my VRS wishbones/ARB/Steering rack type things will work fine with them?